eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How about a Forum for Members only?

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How about a Forum for Members only?

Actually, in my opinion a members only forum could be a very useful asset. While I have nothing against a certain amount of transparency, there are some topics that are not appropriate for the those that aren't familiar with the site. Topics, that unless one knows the way the site works, are really open to misinterpretation and misunderstanding which could cause some potential members from joining.

I don't think it would be attempting to deceive anyone and lure them into becoming members under false pretenses. Frankly, discussion about policies or changes we would like to see made to the site are not a concern for non-members until they actually are adopted by the site. I would consider it more likely to be seen as an attempt to draw in unsuspecting potential members to have them read about all kinds of features some members want but that haven't even been looked into by site admin. And when it comes to airing dirty linen, I don't see where it is appropriate to publicize all our personal feelings of the site's shortcomings to everyone that happens to visit the forum.

Personally, there are several topics that I think should be discussed amongst the members only, such as; the "Make Offer" option issue, miss categorized listings, listings & stores abandoned by sellers, etc. These and other issues, while of legitimate interest to members, doesn't, in my opinion, have any business being opened up to the non-member portion of the public. After all, most businesses don't stress there products flaws in their advertising.

Are we so concerned with the fragility of eBid that we need such a forum? Potential members should be able to weigh up the pros and cons from the OPEN forums and make an informed decision about joining.

Another point: there is/was an excellent Books Board on eBay. One day, there was a troll invasion. This prompted a very active member to open a 'private' group - membership by invitation only. From that day, the Books Board went into decline and what was an informative - and chatty - forum is now a spectre of what it was.

I can see that happening with the introduction of a Members Only forum. There would be a gravitation away from the main discussions resulting in a practically unmanageable 'chat' forum.

I'm totally with Kimbo and Bill on this one.

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well…heheh….funny things I can read on eBay forums stuff around and most of is for big fees and how eBay treats own seller’s….all other AUCTION stuff almost don’t exist some yes but this is nothing compared for threads about this two things and rest of threads is not that ‘’hard’’ like for first two things…and now what we have here…? We don’t have here first two things from eBay …BUT…we in here have much more threads about AUCTION stuff from which eBay seller’s almost not complaing and I don’t see much threads about bid column, best offer, officially statistics, miss categories listing, no abandoned stores and so on….So I guess because seller’s and buyers not complaining for auction features and auction stuff probably this stuff works just fine and seller’s complaing only for stuff which we don’t have in here…In the end it is funny……...

P.S. Steve my men I hope you ok, in here is almost 4 AM, Dzambo is very tired I go for sleep now but anyway I still looking around and hopping...I will keep you posted......

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    ............ Personally, there are several topics that I think should be discussed amongst the members only, such as; the "Make Offer" option issue, miss categorized listings, listings & stores abandoned by sellers, etc. These and other issues, while of legitimate interest to members, doesn't, in my opinion, have any business being opened up to the non-member portion of the public. After all, most businesses don't stress there products flaws in their advertising.

Very True - was thinking along similar lines myself ....

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post
    Well Bill, for one thing, lets not forget that some members are Buyers only, & Sellers may want to discuss the value & subsequent price of a certain object. They may want to keep that info private prior to listing. I have seen posts like that here.
    Are you suggesting sellers would be able to arrange to sell items at a agreed price. In the UK, price arranging between businesses/sellers is illegal
    Last edited by TonyBridger; 13th September 2011 at 10:13 AM.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

After reading the thoughts presented here I can only conclude that a members only forum will be viewed as we are hiding something from our guests. That however was the intention but not necessarily to paint a prettier picture of eBid but to protect eBid from some of the comments we have experienced within the open forums.
    No, I never had price fixing or discussion in mind when I made this suggestion as this is not only illegal but unethical in my opinion.
    I was just trying to get posts such as "10 non paying buyers in a row" and other negatives away from public view. Posts such as "havent sold a thing in 2 months" I find unfitting for guests to view. Then again there would be no way to control where these statements are posted so it probably wouldnt do any good.
    It was nice to see the many opinions on the subject though. We can all learn a lot from each other just by understanding each others views. Sometimes we make statements, then someone comes along with a reply and all of a sudden our statement isnt what we thought or intended. Thanks everyone for voicing your views. I guess we just need to concentrate on keeping our posts as positive as possible so we dont turn off our guests.

So everyone knows, eBid is the first forum I have ever used. I have never visited the darksides forum even to see what its like. I tried a Cymbalholic forum but got bored.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    Are you suggesting sellers would be able to arrange to sell items at a agreed price. In the UK, price arranging between businesses/sellers is illegal
    While price fixing is also illegal here in the US, there are many other issues that require discussion that are not necessarily appropriate for non-member participation. Surely strategies to cut down on stores abandoned by sellers or to curb a surge of non-paying bidders isn't something that needs to be brought to the attention of non, and therefore, potential members.

Of course, there is no reason to exclude buyer or seller from a forum dealing with such issues, but I don't see that publicizing such issues to the general public. I've found that there are many people I meet, IRL, have never heard of eBid. Frankly, in my opinion, the wearing of my eBid hat & t-shirt and getting people to visit the site is for naught if on there first visit to the site they are confronted with a debate over negative aspects of the site.

Let's face it. No site is perfect. All have issues of some sort or another. I just don't think we need to stress eBid's to the public. Of course, I don't like the eBid vs eBay comparison blurb above the logo either.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    Absolutely not! You have misunderstood my point. Price fixing is also illegal here in Oz as well.
    I would hate to list a $100 item anywhere for $0.10 simply because it was out of my area of expertise.
    Part of my research in finding a ball park value on such an item, may involve seeking ideas of the forum members & potential buyers need not be involved in that.
    I made no mention of an
    agreement or agreed price with any other party in my previous post (nor would I)
    This was simply an example to Bill of one reason why some people might want a private forum area.
    I had already stated in a prior post my opinion as to why this idea doesn't work (from bitter experience)

Just as my final little thought on this subject....

Scenario

A non-member thinking about joining, so posts a few questions in the ''non-members'' forum.
    Questions like......are there many non-paying bidders here? Any scammers? Is anyone going long periods without sales?

Would be interesting to see how some folks would answer those questions in a non-members forum.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    Just as my final little thought on this subject....ScenarioA non-member thinking about joining, so posts a few questions in the ''non-members'' forum.Questions like......are there many non-paying bidders here? Any scammers? Is anyone going long periods without sales?Would be interesting to see how some folks would answer those questions in a non-members forum.
    Can a non member post or just view?I would assume those questions would be answered as they are now.

Thread Information