eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How about a Forum for Members only?

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How about a Forum for Members only?

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    While price fixing is also illegal here in the US, there are many other issues that require discussion that are not necessarily appropriate for non-member participation. Surely strategies to cut down on stores abandoned by sellers or to curb a surge of non-paying bidders isn't something that needs to be brought to the attention of non, and therefore, potential members.

Of course, there is no reason to exclude buyer or seller from a forum dealing with such issues, but I don't see that publicizing such issues to the general public. I've found that there are many people I meet, IRL, have never heard of eBid. Frankly, in my opinion, the wearing of my eBid hat & t-shirt and getting people to visit the site is for naught if on there first visit to the site they are confronted with a debate over negative aspects of the site.

Let's face it. No site is perfect. All have issues of some sort or another. I just don't think we need to stress eBid's to the public. Of course, I don't like the eBid vs eBay comparison blurb above the logo either
    Well - I can't help but agree with these thoughts ...

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    Just as my final little thought on this subject....

Scenario

A non-member thinking about joining, so posts a few questions in the ''non-members'' forum.
    Questions like......are there many non-paying bidders here? Any scammers? Is anyone going long periods without sales?

Would be interesting to see how some folks would answer those questions in a non-members forum.
    While I'm not sure a non-member can start threads or post replies at this time, should they actually post such questions I would have to reply with a "yes there are some nonpaying bidders just as there are on other online auction sites and yes some sellers go for relatively long periods without sales." I'm not saying that we should lie to potential members about the conditions on the site if asked. I'm simply saying that we don't need to stress negative aspects by inviting non-members to sit in on gripe and/or brainstorming sessions.

As far as the question of scammers is concerned, I would remind them that the internet is pretty much open to all, both good & evil, and that reasonable caution & good dose of common sense should be used when dealing with all internet activities. I would also advise them that, from my experience, I feel that eBid administration does a good job of dealing with such types on the site. But again, common sense goes a long way when it comes to protecting oneself from con artists here just as it does in the world of brick & mortar.

Again I'm not trying to say we should try to hoodwink potential members into joining by hiding faults. I'm just saying that there is no reason bring up negative aspects in our efforts to promote ourselves in the form of eBid members.

Do fraternal orders & veteran's organization invite non-members to their meetings? Do companies invite outsiders to their board meetings? Do corporations invite people off the street to attend their stockholders meetings? Why then should non-members have unlimited access to our discussions on these forums?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

We're not a company, we're a bunch of customers of a third-party site and I would have thought in this scenario we should have some sympathy with the people looking to be fellow customers. It's a testament to what a great job eBid does of installing loyalty in their customers that so many of us align ourselves with the owners rather than our potential colleagues! I'd hate to see that sense of belonging and community spoiled, and I actually think building walls round part of the site could do more to harm that than help. Another question for anybody who cares to address it... what will you do to members who continue to reply to or post what you consider to be "member only" threads in the public area? How are you going to police this?

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Another question for anybody who cares to address it... what will you do to members who continue to reply to or post what you consider to be "member only" threads in the public area? How are you going to police this?
    I was an moderator of an now defunct auction site that tried a members only forum to hide discussions about problems. We were simply ordered to delete any unfavourable threads posted outside the members area. We then were told to ban members that repeatedly re-posted removed threads

Caused more problems than it solved
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

aaa

I find it interesting how Al's suggestion of a separate member's area has caused some members to see the potential abuse while others see the potential benefit.

That being the case, I guess if it was implemented (and I doubt whether it will be), then we'd likely see both the abuse and the benefit from such a forum.

I do like JaBek's latest post - to me it's a very balanced and sensible post.

It's just a pity we can't have 'all benefits' with 'no abuse'.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

We're not a company, we're a bunch of customers of a third-party site and I would have thought in this scenario we should have some sympathy with the people looking to be fellow customers. It's a testament to what a great job eBid does of installing loyalty in their customers that so many of us align ourselves with the owners rather than our potential colleagues! I'd hate to see that sense of belonging and community spoiled, and I actually think building walls round part of the site could do more to harm that than help. Another question for anybody who cares to address it... what will you do to members who continue to reply to or post what you consider to be "member only" threads in the public area? How are you going to police this?
    Same as we do now probably. Keep responding until someone crosses over the line and thread gets deleted which of course is long after the public has viewed the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by billsbooks View Post
    I guess the request is really to have a private forum in which members can say things they would not say in front of people who are not yet members.
    What would we say in such a forum? Complaints? Disputes? Dirty washing?
    I cannot imagine a positive purpose for such a forum.
    My feeling exactly.

Sometimes when I am doing research I find myself in a forum that requires me to register to be able to see the threads. I leave.

First, I can join later if I decide I find it useful or interesting, but I'm not going to take the time to register until I know I'll be coming back.

Second, it makes me uneasy. What are they hiding?

Third, eBid isn't perfect, but neither is any other site. Seeing threads discussing problems and possible solutions is something I found encouraging when I first joined eBid. There's no need to hide any of these discussions.

Fourth, most eBid members write civilized posts and discuss issues like adults. The fact that non-members can read what they say may contribute to this.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't see it as any kind of major issue. I tend to post according to my own thoughts on a subject regardless and don't care who reads them. I'm merely voicing my opinion on the proposed suggestion made by this thread. The suggestion was brought up and I simply gave my thoughts on the subject.

Frankly, I was a bit concerned by a YouTube posting that I thought somewhat inappropriate & potentially detrimental to eBid and to the membership of the site. Basically, we sellers have something of an investment in the site in the form of time & effort setting up our stores & listings, as well as, time spent promoting the site & our stores. In my opinion, anything that reflects unfavorably on eBid lessens the value of our investment in our stores.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post

Frankly, I was a bit concerned by a YouTube posting that I thought somewhat inappropriate & potentially detrimental to eBid...
    How would this proposal alter such a scenario?

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

How would this proposal alter such a scenario?
    Your kiddin, right?

If not, I would imagine if the link was posted for members only most guests would not know it exists. The only non members to view it would be ones searching eBid on youtube or search engine scroll way down to find it.

Thread Information