eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gazza, more clarification re Brands & Google Shopping please.

Default Gazza, more clarification re Brands & Google Shopping please.

Due to stricter and stricter policy changes at Google Shopping we will be restricting the products that we will be submitting to Google Shopping in the near future.

Starting on the 21st of September eBid will no longer be submitting items that do not pass at least one of the following tests.

1 - ideal) A ISBN/UPC/EAN/MPC and BRAND are supplied to us.
    2 - good) An ISBN/UPC/EAN/MPC is supplied to us.
    3 - minimum) A BRAND is supplied to us.

Some information on locating the barcode of your product (ISBN/UPC/EAN) can be found on our FAQ page http://us.ebid.net/help_selling.php#34

We will be introducing a system that will allow our sellers that have products that cannot pass any of the above tests to apply for exemption in the coming days.
    You've got as ideal that both A ISBN/UPC/EAN/MPC and BRAND are supplied, which is fairly straightforward for things like electrical items, & clothing,
    but what exactly would be classed as the Brand, for items like music, film, videogames, magazines, books?

If you make or design your own items, in my case auction templates/banners, but for others greeting cards, knitted items handmade goods etc etc.

Should you use your storename/username as a Brand, or is that field only for registered trademarks?

Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Default Re: Gazza, more clarification re Brands & Google Shopping please.

We will be introducing a system that will allow our sellers that have products that cannot pass any of the above tests to apply for exemption in the coming days.

Yes, I would also like to know what this is going to entail ? I've got a lot of listings, does this mean a lot of work ?!

Rather confused by what eBid is saying. I thought these new Google rules only applied to things like clothes, electronics, dvds etc but eBid seem to be covering everything. So what happens with something like pottery? For example if I have a piece of Wade pottery do I have to submit 'Wade' as a brand name and if I have a piece of studio pottery I apply for exemption ? Or are all pottery items exempt ? It's all rather confusing !
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 14th September 2011 at 06:06 AM.

I have been ignoring that bit - not sure what to put!!!
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

View bunsock's Feedback (+14461)
    All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

Agreed, we need more details on exemptions. Most second-hand, collectable, antique, photographic images, old badges etc etc will not have a Brand and obviously not an ISBN/UPC/EAN/MPC. Sales on this site rely heavily on Google and until we have details this will be an area of severe concern to a lot of sellers including myself.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunsock View Post
    Agreed, we need more details on exemptions. Most second-hand, collectable, antique, photographic images, old badges etc etc will not have a Brand and obviously not an ISBN/UPC/EAN/MPC. Sales on this site rely heavily on Google and until we have details this will be an area of severe concern to a lot of sellers including myself.
    I agree that it is an area of severe concern. What about all the Crafters too? I sell things and make things to sell for my Charity - what about all the other Crafters and Charities too?

And will all the jewellery suppliers, one example being Findings, have to enter the Brand name of each individual item? And would that entry be the actual Manufacturer or Wholesale Supplier?

The magnitude and implications of it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by cheaver; 14th September 2011 at 07:35 AM.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

For media (books/cd/dvd/video games) a barcode will be ample.

I'm going to re-write the post to make it easier to understand I think.

Give me 10.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    For media (books/cd/dvd/video games) a barcode will be ample.

I'm going to re-write the post to make it easier to understand I think.

Give me 10.

Gazza
    Copy of Gazza's updated post.
    Due to stricter and stricter policy changes at Google Shopping we will be restricting the products that we will be submitting to Google Shopping in the near future.

Starting on the 21st of September eBid will no longer be submitting items that do not pass the following tests A, B or C.

A) Media (books/cd/dvd/blu-ray/video games)
    1 - minimum) An ISBN/UPC/EAN/MPC is supplied to us.

B) Clothing
    1 - minimum) A BRAND is supplied to us.

C) Items that could have been purchased in a shop in their lifetime and scanned at a checkout till
    1 - ideal) A UPC/EAN/MPC and BRAND are supplied to us.
    2 - good) A UPC/EAN/MPC is supplied to us.
    3 - minimum) A BRAND is supplied to us. although we do not guarantee acceptance by Google in this case as they are getting quite strict.

Items that come under D will require exemption from Google's Unique Product Indentifier rules

D) Custom Made, One of a Kind, Vintage, Collectable
    Exemption will be required for your username (if you are not selling via an eBid Store)
    or
    Exemption will be required for your eBid Store (if you are selling via an eBid Store)

Google's exemption application process is currently manual via an online form. We are speaking to them to see if we can automate it somewhat but from the sounds of it they are a way off. For us to put the application for you we will need to see that the items in your eBid Store do not come under A, B or C above. If they do we will not be able to apply for you.

The exemption instructions I will post here in the next 24hrs.
    Thanks for the update, sorry still some questions.

Most fairly modern magazines have barcodes, they seem to be based on the ISSN number, which is NOT unique per issue, but unique per publication, will this be enough?

You seem to be saying that we will be able to get exemtion on a per store basis, but it will need to be the entire store.
    So if you have a bookstore with books of all ages, can you apply for exemption for the whole store, or will you need to split the old pre ISBN books into a different store,
    from the more modern ones, & apply for exemption for the one with the old books?

Obviously things like books DVD's etc have a barcode printed on them, but with lots of items ie China & pottery it comes on a label that has to be removed before use, so like Cornish said, in those instances what will constitute an acceptable Brand?
    Again would that entail splitting the store?
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Seems like Google is creating rules that only work in a world as designed by Google and not in the real world.

Why do all companies do this once they reach a certain dominance in their field? Is it some form of corporate insanity?

View smurfury's Feedback (+1373)
    All-About smurfury
    View smurfury's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi, Im confused ( it doesn't take much ) My username is smurfury and my store name is smurfury. Does this mean my items will not be uploaded to google?
    Thank you julie.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

It would be an idea to split into separate eBid Stores items that you wish exemption for. If you applied and were accepted and then started listing items in an exempt eBid Store obviously not exemptable then that will cause problems.

We currently get emails from Google warning us of GS accounts that need to be changed or they will stop being accepted. (each eBId Store has its own GS account and each eBid User also does if they have ever listed an item not in an eBid Store)

The reason Google are doing this to make sure they can compare prices for the same item. When you do a search for an item on GS at the moment you will see some results with "Compare" buttons, these are the ones they can class together using ISBN/UPC etc.

I've found Google helpful to work with, they are willing to listen but of course the bulk of their GS accounts will be individual stores/shops, not marketplaces like eBid so we have a bigger job on our hands than most online stores.

Things will work themselves out as time passes so don't panic about anything. You'll see your GSID (small grey text just below the summary section) on your eBid Store config page, you'll need this when applying for exemption. GSIDs for usernames will be available shortly as well.

Gazza
    Last edited by gazza; 14th September 2011 at 04:17 PM.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thread Information