Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does Samhain/Halloween mean to Pagans

Default What does Samhain/Halloween mean to Pagans

just a quick post so those that don't know do now know :-)

The most holy and solemn of the sabbats, Samhain (pronounced SOW-een) is observed on the night of October 31. It is a time to remember and honor loved ones who have passed over to the other side, hence Halloween's association with the dead. Also known as the witches' New Year, Samhain begins the Wheel of the Year. Wearing costumes on Halloween stems from the early practice of making wishes on this date (similar to New Year's resolutions). The colourful custom of dressing up as the person you'd like to be in the coming year serves as a powerful magic spell and visual affirmation.
    Magicians believe the veil that separates the seen and unseen worlds is thinnest on Samhain. Therefore, this is an ideal time to try to connect with nonphysical entities such as ancestors, angels, or spirit guides. Many people also do divination on Samhain, when insights and information flow easily.

View luvintage's Feedback (+468)
    All-About luvintage
    View luvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What does Samhain/Halloween mean to Pagans

Yes, it is interesting.

At best, we just think of this as a holiday for the kids to dress up and have fun. Very mundane, I realize.

Thank you for explaining. A lot of people have very sinister ideas as to the origin of Halloween.
    Welcome to all of our eBid shops.

If you haven't already registered on Ebid, PLEASE CLICK HERE! Registering is FAST, EASY and FREE!

http://baubles-bangles-and-beads.ebid.net/

in many ways it is as important to Pagans as Easter AND Christmas is to Christians

View luvintage's Feedback (+468)
    All-About luvintage
    View luvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, through your explanation, I can see that this is very meaningful and serious. Somewhere along the line it has become something that was seriously watered down and made into a commercial holiday. For that matter, I can say the same thing of Christmas and Easter too!

I think that your explanation has taken some of the "scariness" out of this observance. I think that many people do associate witches-as in the long nosed, green faced, red eyed, black pointed hat wearing beings, who do nothing but curse people, with the observance of Halloween. I think that a lot of people, myself included, didn't realize that this is a serious occasion that holds a lot of very deep, meaning for it's believers.
    Welcome to all of our eBid shops.

If you haven't already registered on Ebid, PLEASE CLICK HERE! Registering is FAST, EASY and FREE!

http://baubles-bangles-and-beads.ebid.net/

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    just a quick post so those that don't know do now know :-)

The most holy and solemn of the sabbats, Samhain (pronounced SOW-een) is observed on the night of October 31. It is a time to remember and honor loved ones who have passed over to the other side, hence Halloween's association with the dead. Also known as the witches' New Year, Samhain begins the Wheel of the Year. Wearing costumes on Halloween stems from the early practice of making wishes on this date (similar to New Year's resolutions). The colourful custom of dressing up as the person you'd like to be in the coming year serves as a powerful magic spell and visual affirmation.
    Magicians believe the veil that separates the seen and unseen worlds is thinnest on Samhain. Therefore, this is an ideal time to try to connect with nonphysical entities such as ancestors, angels, or spirit guides. Many people also do divination on Samhain, when insights and information flow easily.
    I'm sure all religions have their "not really believers" who just join for the fun and friendship, so don't take offence please at this question: do you believe all of those things, or is it a case of it would be nice if it was so and you like the costume? I think some Christians just go along for the hymns (a sort of WI with better architecture), I'm sure Paganism has it's share who just like dressing up and the camaraderie. I get the impression you're a believer rather than just a joiner, but it seems like a handy opportunity to ask. Of course, you don't have to answer, but you did start it.

I need to think about my reply before I reply Kim (if you see what I mean) but I will get back to you

View mrsandman's Feedback (+518)
    All-About mrsandman
    View mrsandman's Listings
    Forum Posts

i have been reading your interesting thread OP....And it seems that Halloween isn't 'just ' a celebration on where children dress up and visit other neighbours for sweets is it ?. My grandaughter aged 14 years has said ' nanny , I never thought about this '.... Maybe we wont go out tonight after all.

View mrsandman's Feedback (+518)
    All-About mrsandman
    View mrsandman's Listings
    Forum Posts

To add to my above post. I asked her why .. she said ' well if there is good spirits then it stands to reason there could also be bad ones... speechless really lol

Quote Originally Posted by luvintage View Post
    Yes, it is interesting.

At best, we just think of this as a holiday for the kids to dress up and have fun. Very mundane, I realize.

Thank you for explaining. A lot of people have very sinister ideas as to the origin of Halloween.
    Although it makes light of Samhain, (no offence intended Nigel) this is an interesting article, explaining how they believe some of the current customs came about.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-or-treat.html
    Last edited by Gothicina; 31st October 2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information