My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: War with Iran within months?

Exclamation War with Iran within months?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    UK military steps up plans for Iran attack amid fresh nuclear fears

Britain's armed forces are stepping up their contingency planning for potential military action against Iran amid mounting concern over Tehran's nuclear enrichment programme, the Guardian has learned.

The Ministry of Defence believes the US may decide to fast-forward plans for targeted missile strikes at some key Iranian facilities. British officials say that if Washington presses ahead it will seek, and receive, UK military help for any mission, despite some deep reservations within the coalition government.

In anticipation of a potential attack, British military planners are examining where best to deploy Royal Navy ships and submarines equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles over the coming months as part of what would be an air- and sea-launched campaign.

Full story
    Just when we thought it would all calm down for a while.

On the run up to Christmas it seems like particularly poor timing with so many families just wanting their loved ones home and safe. Now folks will have to think about forward planning and the possibility of targeted military action expanding into full scale war.

What will it mean for us at home? How much worse would such action make the likely recession?

Any thoughts?

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: War with Iran within months?

How much worse would such action make the likely recession?
    Likely?

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    Likely?
    Officially, so they say, we're not yet in recession - at least not in the UK, anyway.

I would think that war with Iran would absolutely guarantee recession, if not full blown depression. (The financial variety, although the mental health variety is also quite likely.)

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

I understand what you're saying, but here in rural America trust me...we're in a recession...uh...depression is more like it. Gas is still totally out of control, but people in general have just paid the price. But now it's hitting us hard here on food prices. Just 2 months ago I could buy, at a regular grocery store (not a big outfit) Best Foods Mayo quart jar for $3.49. Today it is priced at $4.98. Butter cubes, just a few weeks ago it was $2.98 for a pound (4 cubes). Today it is priced at $3.98. And don't get me started on the cost of meats...it's gotten so bad I tried to buy a real small cut of beef chuck roast to make a little post roast for myself. The smallest package I could find totalled $15.24...THAT....is insane.

Off my soapbox...for now...maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but here in rural America trust me...we're in a recession...uh...depression is more like it. Gas is still totally out of control, but people in general have just paid the price. But now it's hitting us hard here on food prices....
    The UK has been facing these same problems for the larger part of the last two years. Our petrol (gas) prices have been way above the US equivalent for even longer. Household fuel prices have just kept going up and up and are set to rise yet again this month. Our job market is as poor as the US market, exports are down, manufacturing is down, the government keeps cutting everything they used to pay for - but still our taxes go up. Meanwhile our wonderful business leaders have just given themselves a 50% pay rise for the coming year and they can't understand why folks are unhappy with them.

So, as you can see, we're in fantastic shape to be starting yet another military campaign.

I think we should send the politicians, bankers and business leaders in as the first wave of any military action.

Every time i order stock now i find the price has gone up, home heating has gone up , food prices are going up weekly.

I Think it will hit the fan soon.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Just when we thought it would all calm down for a while.

On the run up to Christmas it seems like particularly poor timing with so many families just wanting their loved ones home and safe. Now folks will have to think about forward planning and the possibility of targeted military action expanding into full scale war.

What will it mean for us at home? How much worse would such action make the likely recession?

Any thoughts?
    Makes me wonder just what exactly the UN is for...

Here's hoping your government has more sense than ours when it comes to meddling in the affairs of other nations.

Oh and I agree 110% about sending the politicians in first. Historically warfare was the duty of the wealthy; I'm all for returning to that tradition.

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 2nd November 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Here's hoping your government has more sense than ours when it comes to meddling in the affairs of other nations.
    According to the newspaper, our government is only getting involved because yours wants us to. So I'd say that's a no, then.

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Oh and I agree 110% about sending the politicians in first. Historically warfare was the duty of the wealthy; I'm all for returning to that tradition.
    If only, eh?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    According to the newspaper, our government is only getting involved because yours wants us to. So I'd say that's a no, then.
    Why does this not surprise me?

I'd love to see our politicos on horseback with lances and spears charging at the foe, (likely most of them would fall off the horses and get trampled). Heck, I'd pay to see that one.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Lurker
    Swansea, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Sciworks's Feedback (+124)
    All-About Sciworks
    View Sciworks's Listings
    Forum Posts

The Iraq war stopped the suicide bombings in Israel (convenient WMD intelligence supplied by Israel), see the stats here, now the Americans are pulling out of Iraq & Afghanistan, the Islamists can concentrate on their real enemy, Israel, instead of the Americans.

Israel needs to involve America in another Arab war so as to take the Islamist fight away from Israel again.
    Last edited by awgydawg1313; 3rd November 2011 at 01:00 AM.

Thread Information