eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Copyright laws

Forum Newbie
    View Rustymini's Feedback (+3)
    All-About Rustymini
    View Rustymini's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Copyright laws

I currently list CD's for sale on Ebid and always use a scan of the front and back of the item for sale. However a friend has told me that I (and I guess everyone else) could be breaking the law as I am using images of the CD album without permission or licence (I assume from the record label) and that the labels are starting to get tough.
    Is this correct as I don't want to start listing hundreds of CD's and then find I have to take them off again, or worse.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Copyright laws

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymini View Post
    I currently list CD's for sale on Ebid and always use a scan of the front and back of the item for sale. However a friend has told me that I (and I guess everyone else) could be breaking the law as I am using images of the CD album without permission or licence (I assume from the record label) and that the labels are starting to get tough.
    Is this correct as I don't want to start listing hundreds of CD's and then find I have to take them off again, or worse.
    News to me. I've never heard of such a thing. I think you are fine but to be 100% sure, contact support@ebid.net and ask them.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

You are not selling the image of the image - no violation
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    News to me. I've never heard of such a thing. I think you are fine but to be 100% sure, contact support@ebid.net and ask them.
    I'm not sure they'd claim to be experts in copyright law, so they could say if they are aware of a problem and would have any objections at present, but wouldn't necessarily see stuff coming down the pipeline such as the OP suggests. As for me (also not an expert!) I'd expect something like this to be "fair usage".

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think you will be alright as long you selling what you state to selling…So every CD must have correct ISBN number and the cover and CD disk match original retail factory release…no problem for anybody who selling example CDs and DVDs or Games new or used if selling exactly what state to selling…example: if CD or DVD or the game released in own seller’s country just write that in the description everything how look like…if any of this product released in other country and seller have that product again just state that in own description…for CDs it is not big problem but for DVDs is very different story…because most of this stuff comes from Asian market but in other way studios order manufacturing from Asian factory too…and now many seller’s buy from private Asian seller’s or companies and resell this stuff which is in other way ‘’fake’’ because private person can’t order in legal way from any private Asian company who manufacture this stuff for legal retail stores and because of that in Asia many set up ‘’fake companies’’ for that stuff and resell all around for ‘’original factory product’’ like DVDs where selling like Region 1 but DVDs is in region 0 which in other way legal retail product don’t exist for sale in that region I mean new release DVDs and TV Shows…and many seller’s state in own description DVD will play in any region and state this is Region 1 or Region 2 in own description which in other way show clearly like this stuff it is a fake because particular region if is manufactured for that exactly region will play only in that region of course if like this stuff comes from legal manufacturer…and in 100% all this stuff much cheaper from legal retail price…for CDs usually many seller’s don’t selling fake because not much buyer’s market for that because anybody can buy and download any song very cheap from legal retail store instead to buy whole CD…so Asian market stay out of this because Asian seller’s always selling or offer you to resell only product which is hot and many buyer’s looking around to buy…likes…DVDs…Games…Fashion stuff…boots…brand name jewelry and similar hot stuff….In the end I think again you will be alright for this your private stuff and I wish you good sales in here…......

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

This link might be of help regarding US laws. Copyright Office

Another site that you might find useful is CopyNot.

I'm sure you can google more on International Copyright Conventions.

Thread Information