eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Template Question

Question Template Question

Hello eBid Members!

I am looking for some suggestions on what is the best way and how to apply templates to eBid listings. I do have a few options that I have in mind ranging from Dreamweaver to Microsoft Word however when trying to apply them (directly via HTML or via the Ninja Lister) I only receive a blank background; not really appealing or sale worthy to be honest. I did come across being able to apply everything within a table, though this can be cumbersome and time consuming to say the least... Any ideas or suggestions that are known to work?

Thanks,

John C.
    CheapStudent

Default Re: Template Question

Quote Originally Posted by CheapStudent View Post
    Hello eBid Members!

I am looking for some suggestions on what is the best way and how to apply templates to eBid listings. I do have a few options that I have in mind ranging from Dreamweaver to Microsoft Word however when trying to apply them (directly via HTML or via the Ninja Lister) I only receive a blank background; not really appealing or sale worthy to be honest. I did come across being able to apply everything within a table, though this can be cumbersome and time consuming to say the least... Any ideas or suggestions that are known to work?

Thanks,

John C.
    CheapStudent
    Hi John Welcome to eBid.

Please DON'T use Word, it is a word processor.
    Any HTML it spews out is corrupt & bloated, & you'll spend countless hours trying to get it looking half decent.

Tables can be cumbersome, & it can be easy for nesting errors to creep in, if you try & do anything too complicated.

Inline CSS with HTML or XHTML works perfectly well,

You can link to an external stylesheet, BUT if you do you need to only ever use the Plain Text editor, if you ever switch to the Simple or WYSIWYG editors, the link to the stylesheet will be stripped out.

To show a background image in a listing, the image must accessible, so it needs to be hosted somewhere like photobucket, or on your own webhosting, you cannot just leave the image on your PC & link to it.
    You cannot host it in your eBid gallery, as it will not remain there indefinitely.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Question Re: Template Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    Hi John Welcome to eBid.

Please DON'T use Word, it is a word processor.
    Any HTML it spews out is corrupt & bloated, & you'll spend countless hours trying to get it looking half decent.

Tables can be cumbersome, & it can be easy for nesting errors to creep in, if you try & do anything too complicated.

Inline CSS with HTML or XHTML works perfectly well,

You can link to an external stylesheet, BUT if you do you need to only ever use the Plain Text editor, if you ever switch to the Simple or WYSIWYG editors, the link to the stylesheet will be stripped out.

To show a background image in a listing, the image must accessible, so it needs to be hosted somewhere like photobucket, or on your own webhosting, you cannot just leave the image on your PC & link to it.
    You cannot host it in your eBid gallery, as it will not remain there indefinitely.
    @Gothicina

I seem to be a little lost, I am using Dreamweaver when I type my coding, I have tried various ways to implement coding; what exactly isn't needed when pasting the coding within the product description?

I have attached my template that I wish to use... I know it is a rough template but just to give you some idea on what I am wanting to do... please provide feedback of what should and shouldn't be included in the HTML document. Also is there coding that eBid doesn't allow?

Sincerely,

John C.
    Attached Files Attached Files

@Gothicina

I seem to be a little lost, I am using Dreamweaver when I type my coding, I have tried various ways to implement coding; what exactly isn't needed when pasting the coding within the product description?

I have attached my template that I wish to use... I know it is a rough template but just to give you some idea on what I am wanting to do... please provide feedback of what should and shouldn't be included in the HTML document. Also is there coding that eBid doesn't allow?

Sincerely,

John C.
    Hi, is this what you are trying to achieve?
    Name:  Temp_1024x576.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  25.3 KB

I use Dreamweaver for my editing and I use tables and inline css to control width and text .

Just wondering how you named your template and if you used edit>select all> copy and then paste the html into the item description panel?
    Last edited by lodegrundrunner; 16th December 2011 at 09:07 PM.

Go n-éir?* an bóthar leat!

Visit my woodcraft shop today, click here.

There's no better gift than something handmade!

Join eBid.net today here

Quote Originally Posted by lodegrundrunner View Post
    Hi, is this what you are trying to achieve?
    Name:  Temp_1024x576.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  25.3 KB

I use Dreamweaver for my editing and I use tables to control width and text even though my templates are css capable.

Just wondering how you named your template and if you used edit>select all> copy and then paste the html into the item description panel?
    @lodegrundrunner I am not sure what you mean by "Just wondering how you named your template and if you used edit>select all> copy and then paste the html into the item description panel" if you mean if I tried copying and pasting the html code within the product description then yes I have tried this, maybe I should try again...

- John C.

@lodegrundrunner I am not sure what you mean by "Just wondering how you named your template and if you used edit>select all> copy and then paste the html into the item description panel" if you mean if I tried copying and pasting the html code within the product description then yes I have tried this, maybe I should try again...

- John C.
    Sorry,long day. You uploaded a txt file so I was just wondering how you saved your Dreamweaver doc. Please don't be offended, it's hard to know without seeing the problem myself. What happens when you insert the code into the description panel? You might try setting a width to the template also to bring it in and centre the panel. My current template is 850px wide and it suits my purposes but you can set it any way you like.

Join eBid.net today here

I'm no good giving out advice after coming off shift so please disregard my previous posts. Jeweleffects has some lovely pre-made temps if you want to have a look http://auction-templates-store-banners.ebid.net/

Join eBid.net today here

Quote Originally Posted by lodegrundrunner View Post
    I'm no good giving out advice after coming off shift so please disregard my previous posts. Jeweleffects has some lovely pre-made temps if you want to have a look http://auction-templates-store-banners.ebid.net/
    @lodegrundrunner, not offended what so ever... I am just curious as to how to have the template so up in the listing, as when I post my template all that shows is the image of the product... let me ask you when you apply your templates do you include the DOCTYPE?, if not what are the main items within the code you include?

Thanks,

John C.

@lodegrundrunner, not offended what so ever... I am just curious as to how to have the template so up in the listing, as when I post my template all that shows is the image of the product... let me ask you when you apply your templates do you include the DOCTYPE?, if not what are the main items within the code you include?

Thanks,

John C.
    I save them as .html and I copy the code direct from the "Code" view in Dreamweaver. If you copy from the "Design" view it won't work. Not suggesting that you did of course.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title>ebid item description</title>
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--

I use css styles but I still cling to tables.

Join eBid.net today here

I inserted your code into one of my listings and it interfered with the whole webpage so there's definitely something wrong. I'm a novice when it comes to css coding so I can't really advise you there. I can do it to a certain extent and then I start guessing. Maybe start again and do trial and error until you find the offending line of code or maybe someone with more knowledge will come along.

Join eBid.net today here

Thread Information