eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should the police have the power to use live bullets on rioters?

Question Should the police have the power to use live bullets on rioters?

The report into the recent riots has suggested that under some circumstances the police should be allowed to shoot rioters who are seen to be a threat to life.

Should the police be allowed to shoot people in a riot?

For example, would someone deserve to be shot if they were setting fire to a building which may or may not have people in it?

If someone was shot, would it be seen as a good thing, or as something to make the rioting worse?

What do you think?

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Should the police have the power to use live bullets on rioters?

I don't hac e problem with the suggested proposal for the police to have rubber bullets.

I have never taken part in a riot...nor do I plan to, so they won't be shooting me.

My main concern about this suggestion is how far will this go?

After rioters who set fire to buildings...will protesters be next?...and then who next after that?

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I don't hac e problem with the suggested proposal for the police to have rubber bullets.
    Yes, but it is the LIVE rounds I was asking about.

View BLOXBOOKS's Feedback (+5010)
    All-About BLOXBOOKS
    View BLOXBOOKS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Some folk may claim police shooting a person sparked a riot, so shooting rioters may be going around in circles, anyhow when agents of the state shoot folk, its a pat on the back when they get it right and ooops sorry "Table legs look like rifles"(various on this theme) when they get it wrong.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BLOXBOOKS

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Yes, but it is the LIVE rounds I was asking about.
    apologies...I thought you might be referring to the recent report regarding the London looting.

OK....while the country is run by a government that appears not to defend free speech for political activists...then no..shooting one group might lead to shooting other groups so my answer would be the same as in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I thought you might be referring to the recent report regarding the London looting.
    I was. It mentioned the live rounds AND the non-lethal stuff.

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

"The Chief Inspector of Constabulary, Sir Denis O'Connor, said that officers should consider using live ammunition to halt attacks on buildings when the lives of those inside might be at risk.

He said that police should also be prepared to use rubber bullets and water cannon to tackle rioters when petrol bombs or other missiles were being thrown.

Other situations which he said might require the use of
    rubber bullets or water cannon included attacks on the
    public witnessed by police, or threats to fire and ambulance staff called to deal with disorder."

News Report Here

It seems to me that the use of live ammunition is suggested for use in extreme circumstances...not for rioting without arson where peoples lives might be in danger.

Until we have a government that can responsibly organise policing...I would rather any kind of shooting of rioters should be avoided

Whether it is some guy with a firearm, or some guy trying to start a fire in a building which may have people in it - as far as I am concerned - yes, the bill should have the power to shoot.
    Both scenarios are very similar - just using a different weapon, and are a danger to the lives of others.

Whether involved in riots or not.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

When there is a large crowd out of control an acting in a criminal manner, they should be dropping the crowd until the numbers are closer to matched

Not taking such action only perpetuates the criminal behaviour
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    I was. It mentioned the live rounds AND the non-lethal stuff.
    Yes damian noticed you said live rounds.The police have never done that in Riot or near Riot circumstances in recent time.Think water cannons and rubbber bullets permissable.Probably Tazer guns as well.
    cheers Tony
    Last edited by tonyreddevil; 20th December 2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Cant spell police and recent time

Thread Information