Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else selling their home?

Unhappy Anyone else selling their home?

Just wondering if anyone else is going through this at the moment or has just been through it? I had to put my house on the market in July 2011 because I'm finding it very hard to keep up with the bills and the debts are mounting. I'm also stuck in a dead end job that I hate which doesn't pay enough to keep me going. My intention is to move back home with my parents and start again somehow (if the house sells), not an easy thing to do in your mid thirties to be sure. I was going to leave the house on the market and if unsold by January 2012 I would have to rent it out which I really don't want to do. That deadline is approaching fast now and I'm really not a happy camper at the moment.

The Irish budget in December made a few allowances for first time buyers to try and stimulate the market again but I don't know if it will make any difference. There is a huge surplus of houses for sale here as a result of our false boom and it unfortunately doesn't bode well for the seller of second hand homes. Meanwhile our top politicians with their high paying jobs have completely lost touch with the reality of ordinary folk and do nothing to alleviate the day to day worries of the people.

I know most of you are in other countries but I think our economies are in similar strife. The stress of all this is really getting to me now. Anyone out there with a similar tale of woe or offering a few crumbs of comfort?

Go n-éir?* an bóthar leat!

Visit my woodcraft shop today, click here.

There's no better gift than something handmade!

Join eBid.net today here

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Anyone else selling their home?

I'm really sorry you are going through this. Just wondering about the possibility of Student Accommodation where you could License (not rent) & have greater control. Holiday home lets? Either way you could then offer to sell as an investment property rather than a private home? (there are folks out there with money for such things I believe!)

Thanks Elizabeth. I had rented rooms out to various people along the way but that just drove me mad. I had a few tenants who forgot their upbringing and that just made my life hell. I couldn't put students in there as my neighbours on all sides are lovely people and I would hate to have their peace and quiet destroyed by anti social behaviour. I've explored every option so far and have hit a dead end.

Join eBid.net today here

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I sold my last house for considerably less than its theoretical market value, in order to be shot of an uncomfortable and stressful situation. I've never regretted it. Make it a bargain and there's always somebody willing to take it on, and you can just pay off everything and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I sold my last house for considerably less than its theoretical market value, in order to be shot of an uncomfortable and stressful situation. I've never regretted it. Make it a bargain and there's always somebody willing to take it on, and you can just pay off everything and walk away.
    You might be right there Kim, trouble is I need so much to pay off existing debts and something extra to cushion me for the next step in life. I may yet end up dropping the price drastically to to be done with it. I will end up making a business decision in the end I think just get shot of it but I'm resisting for now.

Join eBid.net today here

Forum Master
    Penarth, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Salomina27's Feedback (+273)
    All-About Salomina27
    View Salomina27's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not an easy situation.
    Kim may well be right (again!) I also think maybe you are at a bit of a crossroads all round and we go through stages in life every now and then when we need to do a complete re-appraisal. You say you hate your job too. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and do something completely different (or/and go somewhere completely different) the biggest problems are often the biggest opportunities in disguise if you are willing to take a gamble. Have a think as to what your instincts or heartfelt desires are perhaps whilst in this conundrum

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry to hear you are caught up in the seller's dilemna. Situation for sellers is also tough over here. I'm trying to resist an outright sale of my property, because only buyers are winning now. I never advise any seller to rush into selling their property. Each person has to decide what will work best for them.

Have thought about leasing with the option to buy. This would tend to attract a more serious renter/potential buyer. Turning property over to professional managers can sometimes help with the stress of dealing with renters. They find the tenants, do the background checks, collect the rent, do evictions, and provide maintenance and repair services. Their fees can be included in rents if not exhorbatent.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hey David, not a homeowner here, but I do sympathize, being 43 and jobless; the economy is rotten here as well. I try not to let it bother me, though it does sometimes; as my late grandmother used to say, "everything goes in cycles," so I have faith this latest mess will pass and things will get better.

Hang in there and stop by the Cellar for drinks on the house.

Happy holidaze and many sales to all,

I had a situation where I needed to be rid of my house for different similar reasons to yourself, but the cause was different. The house was too big for one, and the bills too high for me to fund on my own, so to get rid of what I referred to as my 'white elephant' I opted to put the house up for sale through auction rather than through normal estate agent channels waiting for a buyer that could come along this week, in a month, or after 6 months. The end result was less than what the normal channels would have realised but, the end price was enough to clear the mortgage and leave me a balance. But, more than that, to me, it meant that I was rid of the place, any debts that came with it, and any other hassles and stresses that waiting for a buyer would have given me. In my area the auctions are bi-monthly. It could be a consideration for you. If you're thinking of going this route, check the details with the estate agents in your area and they'll tell you when the next auction is, and their charges etc.

Hope it helps.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

What a good idea, Babs. Never thought about an auction. We sold ours a year ago and were lucky that one of our neighbours wanted a bigger house (they lived literally round the corner and needed no removal van) They had no competition, so were able to get the house for less than we wanted to sell for. But as we wanted a quick(ish) sale, there was little choice

Thread Information