Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fee Avoidance

Default Fee Avoidance

I tried searching and couldn't find anything on this. I'm just wondering as I've noticed when searching that shipping charges from many sellers on here seem to be getting higher and the bids lower. I'm not saying all sellers are doing this but particular sellers that will remain nameless in particular. I was interested in purchasing from them at one point and had things on my watch list from 2 of them. I started selling here at one point myself but stopped after lack of sales. Anyway I remained here as a buyer because I do like ebid.

The items I had on my watch list disappeared from one of these sellers. The other I was outbid on, and yeah that happens. Anyway, the ones that disappeared, that seller relisted them with a lower starting bid but a way higher shipping cost. This seller now has all of their shipping costs elevated and their starting bids much lower. Since there are no fees on shipping charged here, to me that's fee avoidance, which is what was part of the problem over at the bay. I can't find anything in the help sections on this subject either but it kind of angers me. It looks bad.

I won't be buying anything from this seller because as a seller myself even though yes, I do look at total cost, that is not the issue. I pay my fees fairly no matter where I'm selling. That's only right and fair. Start items at a price you are comfortable with selling them at and letting them go for. Yes, I also may be ranting a bit but I had to get this off my chest. To me it makes other sellers on the same site look bad too when it gets let go and nothing is done, not to mention making the site look bad.

Okay sorry, I'm done venting! Thanks.

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Post Re: Fee Avoidance

Quote Originally Posted by OldtymGeneralStore View Post
    I tried searching and couldn't find anything on this. I'm just wondering as I've noticed when searching that shipping charges from many sellers on here seem to be getting higher and the bids lower. I'm not saying all sellers are doing this but particular sellers that will remain nameless in particular. I was interested in purchasing from them at one point and had things on my watch list from 2 of them. I started selling here at one point myself but stopped after lack of sales. Anyway I remained here as a buyer because I do like ebid.

The items I had on my watch list disappeared from one of these sellers. The other I was outbid on, and yeah that happens. Anyway, the ones that disappeared, that seller relisted them with a lower starting bid but a way higher shipping cost. This seller now has all of their shipping costs elevated and their starting bids much lower. Since there are no fees on shipping charged here, to me that's fee avoidance, which is what was part of the problem over at the bay. I can't find anything in the help sections on this subject either but it kind of angers me. It looks bad.

I won't be buying anything from this seller because as a seller myself even though yes, I do look at total cost, that is not the issue. I pay my fees fairly no matter where I'm selling. That's only right and fair. Start items at a price you are comfortable with selling them at and letting them go for. Yes, I also may be ranting a bit but I had to get this off my chest. To me it makes other sellers on the same site look bad too when it gets let go and nothing is done, not to mention making the site look bad.

Well…you can check out my items a less I have very low shipping and just say nobody offer that low for the shipping for domestic and international even if other sellers have similar items like my and top of that NO extra charge for multiple buying items...none...zip...nada...nothing....zero...…....

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View sheffieldtony's Feedback (+1287)
    All-About sheffieldtony
    View sheffieldtony's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Fee Avoidance

Quote Originally Posted by OldtymGeneralStore View Post

This Happens on Most Auction Sites. Its Just Penny Pinching to Me. I Dont Buy From Them.
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/OldPostcards

Click on Link & Join EBid.
    http://www.ebid.net/uk/buddy/317570

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheffieldtony View Post
    This Happens on Most Auction Sites. Its Just Penny Pinching to Me. I Dont Buy From Them.
    I can (sort of) understand it when you get the feeling the site is ripping you off, but on eBid I don't see any need for loading the postage.

I always look at cost and postage combined to decide value. If I were to notice that the seller was loading the postage to circumvent reasonable fees that would put me off. It displays an underhand attitude that could also be present in their dealings with buyers.

As the Final Value Fees here are so low I do not see the need to 'load' the p&p.

To save having to change all the postage rates at once every April I have p&p included in a lot of items but not on them all.... it does not sem to have affected sales at all so all new listings will have the p&p included.

Some people object to the idea of 'free p&p' - we all know there is no such thing - it doesn't bother me and saves adding up the total price... I take any combined sales reduction off the total amount ...

Anyway just my view lol
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Quote Originally Posted by sheffieldtony View Post
    I don't see the most likely explanation as penny pinching or fee avoidance.

Unfortunately there are many people in the world who seem severely challenged when it's time to add 2+2.

0.99 + 5.99 postage, versus another item at 4.99 + 1.00 postage, the one at 0.99 is the one they go for. Experienced sellers are not stupid, they lay out their stall taking into account such behaviour, and balancing it against other considerations, including the risk of being seen as underhand or manipulative.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not to mention that the price of postage does go up, and a lot of sellers, due to a common scam on ebay, are very leery of using un-tracked postal options nowadays.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm not sure I understand the fee avoidance angle of which the OP spoke. Frankly, the starting bid of an auction is merely that, a starting bid. Although I must admit it seems a little foolish to start items ultra low considering the scarcity of bidders. However, S&H is based on weight & distance so it is not unusual for it to appear high when compared to a starting bid.

Actually, I pretty much avoid fees simply by having purchased my Lifetime Seller + membership some time ago.

OH! I almost forgot. USPS is upping their rates again later this month.

Forum Lurker
    View plantsfish's Feedback (+199)
    All-About plantsfish
    View plantsfish's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ebay now charges you a final value fee on the items selling price + shipping. try to charge as close to what the post office charges me when I sale items. So feel free to buy from me as well. I have asked for a search to include lowest prices + shipping, but so far nothing .

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darklisruthven View Post
    Not to mention that the price of postage does go up, and a lot of sellers, due to a common scam on ebay, are very leery of using un-tracked postal options nowadays.
    Couldn't agree more.

Happy 2012 and many sales to all,

Thread Information