Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Excessive postage!

Angry Excessive postage!

Just wondered what people thought of some shipping charges on here? I'm looking for an Kindle 3g, and every time I think i've found a good deal - say £100 - the shipping will be £40+! From the uk! Obviously the seller is making sure they get they're full amount - but it does annoy me! Why not just be transparent about it? I assume there is no maximum shipping charges on Ebid - unlike that 'other' auction site. Will they ever be introduced I wonder?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Excessive postage!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkysemporium View Post
    Just wondered what people thought of some shipping charges on here? I'm looking for an Kindle 3g, and every time I think i've found a good deal - say £100 - the shipping will be £40+! From the uk! Obviously the seller is making sure they get they're full amount - but it does annoy me! Why not just be transparent about it? I assume there is no maximum shipping charges on Ebid - unlike that 'other' auction site. Will they ever be introduced I wonder?
    I sincerely hope not. As a competent adult I'm capable of adding two numbers and deciding if I'm prepared to spend the result, I really don't want eBid telling me how much I'm allowed to charge or pay - the rules about postage over on eBay drive me bonkers.

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Business as usual….
    Everything bad we will turn on ‘’good’’…
    Everything good we will turn on ‘’good’’…
    And doesn’t matter what whole world business can look on bad we will turn on good…
    And doesn’t matter what whole world business can look on good we will turn on good…
    So…I think nobody can beat our ‘’spirit’’…I like that…....

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31499)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

It would be so helpful to have a search facility in Ebid for price plus local P&P.
    It is the only search I use on Ebay.

However I don't like people who price their item low to attract attention, and then charge more than their cost for P&P. If I do buy from them they get a negative comment about P&P.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsbooks View Post
    It would be so helpful to have a search facility in Ebid for price plus local P&P.

However I don't like people who price their item low to attract attention, and then charge more than their cost for P&P. If I do buy from them they get a negative comment about P&P.
    Do you mean you actually leave negative feedback, or just leave a negative reference in otherwise positive feedback?

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

I can and assume most buyers do move on if the shipping charges seem to high,I cannot see myself buying an item knowing full well what the shipping charges are then leaving a negative comment about it,just my 2 cents but if you choose to buy the item and choose to pay the shipping charges,as long as the item arrives in the condition stated then leaving anything other than perhaps a side note with the pos feedback on the shipping charge is really not fair

Simple for me,I look at feedback and shipping and if 1 or both are a little iffy I move on,save to buy another day

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

I hope you don't mean you are aware of the total item cost, which has been clearly stated, and then leave negative feedback for the shipping, which could well be excessive, but to which you knowingly agreed. I don't like inflated shipping either but as Kimbo said, a person of normal competency can calculate the total before committing to it. I wouldn't want eBid setting shipping limits because there are frequently surprises in shipping situations.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAda View Post
    I hope you don't mean you are aware of the total item cost, which has been clearly stated, and then leave negative feedback for the shipping, which could well be excessive, but to which you knowingly agreed. I don't like inflated shipping either but as Kimbo said, a person of normal competency can calculate the total before committing to it. I wouldn't want eBid setting shipping limits because there are frequently surprises in shipping situations.
    I don't understand someone willingly paying after seeing the price with S&H total ... and then complaining in feedback about excessive shipping costs. You agree to it when you pay, or you can cancel the transaction.

I was looking at some Betty Neels book prices here last night, and some from Canada had high postage ... Never Say Goodbye was $13.79 to ship to the US from Canada. Ouch! Way too much. So I won't purchase.

But I don't assume the Seller is gouging, I just figure Canada's international post is expensive. ...And perhaps, on top of that, the Seller has an expensive trip to make to get a parcel posted.

After all, why would a Seller gouge on S&H when that would turn off a repeat customer?

There are many costs to S&H, not just the postal rate. There could be purchases of packing materials and address labels. There can be insurance and tracking expenses. And there may be a cost of gas for getting to the post office to mail the parcel ASAP... or paying someone to take your parcel to the post office for you.

So I don't automatically assume a Seller is gouging with S&H prices.

Unless a brand new 6 oz electronic gadget is listed for $0.99 with a $40 S&H. ...But in those instances I have come to learn (from repeated problems at feeBay) that counterfeit goods may be involved, as well!

Live, Learn, and Laugh -

Virtueandpraise

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

My bookshop boss was telling me this week she had a buyer ask if they could have a cheaper postage price before they bought, she said no there wasn't any room for a reduction so please don't buy... so they bought and negged within about two minutes of her reply. We were all quite keen on the "sorry, can't find it" routine, husband suggested stamping on it a few times before posting, and I suggested (much as I love books and hate vandalism) obscene graffiti on every page... but in the end we're all professionals and it was sent and the neg swallowed. There are some real dweebs out there, I'm afraid.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Say what??

Thread Information