Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Excessive postage!

Default Re: Excessive postage!

Some interesting comments here! I wouldn't leave negative feedback about postage charges, because as stated already you are agreeing to those if you buy. If a seller is in the uk, where i'm very familiar with shipping charges, and is significantly overcharging I just wont buy - so ultimately it affects their sales.

Think Amazon charge 2.70 for postage on books but does the seller get the 2.70 or does Amazon take a cut?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAGHAG999 View Post
    Think Amazon charge 2.70 for postage on books but does the seller get the 2.70 or does Amazon take a cut?
    Guess! They take a cut, of course.

This is very difficult. Asking to give an amount in advance is much harder for some fragile or awkward shaped items. when all the bubble-paper, cardboard box,wrapping,etc,is added on, it can come to more in weight than the price originally asked. The seller is not always out to make money on postage. Hunters-Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunters_Moon View Post
    This is very difficult. Asking to give an amount in advance is much harder for some fragile or awkward shaped items. when all the bubble-paper, cardboard box,wrapping,etc,is added on, it can come to more in weight than the price originally asked. The seller is not always out to make money on postage. Hunters-Moon.
    Its difficult with single items getting it right, as a buyer i make allowances for this,
    Ive never had anyone send me the differance when ive undercharged postage.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

The easiest way of dealing with people complaining about p&p costs is to give "free" delivery. By combining the costs into the asking price nobody can say you are overcharging them on p&p
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

if I saw postage that looked high , I would ask the seller if it was right or not ...if told it was right I would not buy....if they say there is a charge for packing materials , then it would depend on what I felt was reasonable...I would estemate ?. but as I say , I WOULD ALWAYS ASK...I would not pay and then complain ( leave neutral )....like baghag I am still waiying on a buyer who said they would send me what I undercharged ....papa,

Quote Originally Posted by billsbooks View Post
    If the P&P cost is more than 50% of the actual postage I will leave a comment such as Postage is inflated, and in Ebay a low mark for P&P, in Ebid Neutral
    I assume the combined cost is the lowest you've found for the item or you wouldn't be buying. So why punish the seller for giving you a bargain? It really doesn't matter to me if some of the price is shifted to S&H (or P&P as you call it).

Your formula also ignores real life costs. I can ship a large envelope by First Class Mail for $1.28, but the envelope and wrapping material cost around $1.50. Please advise.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I assume the combined cost is the lowest you've found for the item or you wouldn't be buying. So why punish the seller for giving you a bargain? It really doesn't matter to me if some of the price is shifted to S&H (or P&P as you call it)..
    I can't get my head round the thinking at all. The total price and the service offered, the quality of the item, it's all good enough to want to buy, but a trivial difference in how the seller chooses to run their business as compared with how the buyer would do the same thing (in theory) is enough to punish them to the point of possibly damaging their future viability (we know how important feedback is on an alternative site). If the seller chooses to give up on a site where such things can happen and goes back to selling only on Amazon, thus making such bargains unavailable, will the buyer preen themselves on a job well done!? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    The easiest way of dealing with people complaining about p&p costs is to give "free" delivery. By combining the costs into the asking price nobody can say you are overcharging them on p&p
    This may be possible in the UK. In the US, however, the cost of shipping varies wildly depending on the shipping method and the distance between seller and buyer. Postage for a book weighing 2½ pounds can cost as little as $3.23 and as much as $10.95. How do I build that into the selling price?

And that's only within the U.S. If I want to offer the item to buyers in other countries, the postage cost is even higher.

Thread Information