My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Cattleya Orchids: General Care Sheet

Default Cattleya Orchids: General Care Sheet

Since I mostly sell Cattleya orchids on eBid, I thought I should write this general care sheet for those who purchase plants and would like to know the basics.

The large flowered cattleya orchids that I list have requirements specific to each individual species but there are some requirements that apply, somewhat, across the board. One must balance water, light, air movement, humidity, and nutrition requirements to get the best results.

Water: Water only when the planting medium is completely dry. To check, insert a pencil into the medium and if it comes out dry, the plants need watering. When watering, let the water run through the medium. In terms of time, run water through the pot for 15-30 seconds.

Light:
    Most Cattleya orchids love light. Avoid direct sunlight, but give them as much filtered sunlight as possible throughout the year, but especially during the growing season. If the leaves feel warm at touch, reduce the light and increase air movement. If growing indoors, place in a East-facing windowsill.

Air: The Cattleya orchids get a lot of air movement in their natural habitat. So, provide some air movement. A well placed fan should do the trick for a small collection.

Humidity: use humidity trays to provide enough humidity. Just get a shallow tray or platter, add some gravel or pebbles to it and add water. This allows you to place the pot on pebbles without the pot being immersed in water.

Fertilizer: Fertilize every other week but only in growing season. Do not use delay-release fertilizers. A 20-20-20 mix is ideal.

Most people kill their orchids by overwatering them. The best rule about watering: if in doubt, do not water!

Happy growing! Do check my store, send me your questions and, of course, enjoy orchids.

(Note: The Picture below is Cattleya aclandiae, a dwarf species ideal for those who do not have a greenhouse)

[I will soon post care sheets specific to the species listed in my store]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rajaorchids; 18th May 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: changed title

Thread Information