eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: REVELATION (Part 2)

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: REVELATION (Part 2)

It seems to me that this book must have more various interpretations than any other book in the Bible. So much more hellfire and brimstone than found generally in the NT, too. I sometimes wonder how different Christianity would be today if some of the 'forgotten' books, or left out books were in, and Revalation left out...............maybe no different at all. It's always made me wonder, tho. Thanks for posting these.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

The highly symbolic language and imagery probably makes Revelation prone to various interpretations. Also the major interpretation view points that people interpret Revelation. These included the preterist, futurist, and idealist.

The Book of Daniel also uses highly symbolic language and imagery. When approaching some of the verses in Revelation that have varied interpretations, I prefer to just present some of the various interpretations, and let the reader decide. Insisting that a particular view point is the only viewpoint, when the Bible does not discuss the viewpoint directly or indirectly, can cause misinterpretation or error.

It is interesting that other Scriptures deal with portions of Scripture that contain some things that are hard to understand. (see 2 Peter 3:15-18) Peter is speaking of the writings and letters of the Apostle Paul. Peter also gives a warning not to be carried away with every wind of doctrine. He is encouraging Believer's to grow in knowledge and the grace of God.

Peter also addressed the issue of prophesy, it's interpretation, it's origin, and it's inclusion in the Scriptures. Peter stated, "Above all, you must un- derstand that no prophesy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophesy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." [2 Peter 1:20-21 NIV]

The Apostle Paul wrote letters (epistles) to his son in the Lord, Timothy. Paul shared many practical points of advise with young Timothy. Paul stated, "Keep reminding them of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words.............. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." [2 Timothy 2:14-15 NIV]

The Book of Revelation is the only book of the Bible that contains a promise of blessing to those who read, hear, and take to heart, the words of it's prophesy. "Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophesy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near." [Revelation 1:3 NIV]

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

REVELATION 18
    (Continued)

Revelation 18:22-24
    Never again will the sound of music be heard there - no more harps, songs, flutes, or trumpets. There will be no industry of any kind, and no more milling of grain.

(23) Her nights will be dark, without a single lamp. there will be no happy voices of brides and grooms. This will happen because her merchants, who were the greatest in the world, deceived the nations with her sorceries.

24) In her streets the blood of the prophets was spilled. She was the one who slaughtered God's people all over the world. [NLT]

Ancient Babylon was a foreshadow of the Babylon spoken of in the 18th chapter of Revelation. The remains of Ancient Babylon consists of mounds of broken mud-brick buildings and debris. Portions of Ancient Babylon were used to build Baghdad and other cities. See attached link for some background on the history of Ancient Babylon, and it's links with current historical events. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon

The Babylon of Revelation 18 is referring to end-time Babylon, the city that will house the end-time kingdom of Anti-christ, whom Satan will control. The Old Testament prophesies found in Jeremiah 51:25-26 and Isaiah 13 and 14, refer in part to the destruction of Ancient Babylon. However, the finality and completeness of the destruction of Babylon will see it's fulfillment in the judgement spoken of in the 18th chapter of Revelation. There will be no trace of Babylon following the final judgement. Babylon will disappear forever. (see Revelation 18:21)

Throughout history there have been attempts to rebuild Babylon. Saddam Hussein had begun rebuilding of Babylon, but his project was interrupted when the invasion occurred. The Madrid Conference of 2003 resulted in a pledge to rebuild Iraq, which occupies a part of Ancient Babylon. The conference logo was the Tower of Babel. (see link above on Babylon)

The end-time kingdom of Babylon, described in Revelation 18:22-24 will disappear forever; will never again have the sound of music; will never again have any kind of industry; will never again have the happy voices of newly weds. This will all happen because she deceived the nations of the world with sorcery. Her deception was facilitated by her vast influence over the greatest merchants in the world. Also she was guilty of the slaughter of God's people, from the blood spilled of Abel and throughout the ages, and all over the world.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

REVELATION 18 & OLD TESTAMENT PROPHESY

The prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah were called by God to be His spokesmen. Both are called major prophets, and both were sent to prophesy to the nations of the world, including Babylon. Both of them directed their prophetic judgements first to Jerusalem and Judah, and then to other nations. Isaiah addressed Judah and Jerusalem in the first seven chapters of Isaiah, because of their sin and rebellion against God.

The word of the LORD came unto Jeremiah........"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." [Jeremiah 1:4-5] Jeremiah was known as "the weeping prophet" because he literally cried his eyes out over the sin and the coming judgement of Jerusalem and Judah. Jeremiah's prophesies were directed at Jerusalem and Judah from Jeremiah chapters 1-45.

A pattern can be seen in how God deals with sin, rebellion, and the judgement that follows. First, He always deals with his own first; he deals with those in power first, and then the people. God used enemy nations as his instruments of judgement against his own people. When his people repented of their sins, God pitied them and delivered them from their oppressors. God vowed to keep covenant promises made with them.

Prophesies were also spoken concerning the nations that were used as instruments of judgement against Jerusalem and Judah. These nations were judged because they too were guilty of sin and idolatry. Yet, they vaunted themseves in pride, cruelty, and brutality against God's people. The prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah prophesied against various nations, but both focused much of their prophesy against Babylon.

Isaiah's prophesy concerning Babylon can be found in Isaiah chapters 13, 14, 21:1-10, 46, and 47. Jeremiah's prophesy concerning Babylon can be found in Jeremiah chapters 50-51. It is interesting to note that the king of Babylon in Isaiah 14 is referred to as Lucifer.

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the Most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms......." [Isaiah 14:12-16 KJV]

Many are of the opinion that the above prophesy of Isaiah concerning the king of Babylon (Lucifer), will be fulfilled at the return of Jesus Christ, when Satan will be bound and cast into the abyss for 1,000 years. (see Revelation 20:1-3, 7-10)

The prophesies of Isaiah and Jeremiah concerning Babylon were fulfilled in part with the destruction of Ancient Babylon, but will reach complete fulfilment in the end-time events described in Revelation. If you review Revelation 18, and compare the Scriptures found in Isaiah and Jeremiah concerning Babylon, it is amazing how similar the description of Babylon's fall.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

REVELATION 19

Revelation 19:1-3
    After this, I heard the sound of a vast crowd in heaven shouting, "Hallelujah! Salvation is from God. Glory and power belong to him alone.

(2) His judgements are just and true. He has punished the great prostitute who corrupted the earth with her immorality, and he has avenged the murder of his servants."

(3) Again and again their voices rang, "Hallelujah! The smoke from that city ascends forever and forever!" [NLT]

Both Revelation 18 and 19 start with similar phrases "And after these things...." (18 KJV); "After all this...." (18 NLT); "And after these things...." (19 KJV); "After this...." (19 NLT)

The "After all this...." of Revelation 18 is referring to all that had preceeded, including the judgements of God that unfolded in increasing intensity; in the form of 7 seals, 7 trumpets, and 7 vials (bowls). The opening of the 1st six seals in Revelation 6, will occur during the first half of the Tribulation Period.

Following the opening of the first 6 seals, there is a pause, for the preservation of God's people, before the sounding of the seventh trumpet. The 144,000 were marked with the seal of God (Rev. 7:1-8); and "a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb." (Rev. 7:9-10, 13-17)

The opening of the 7th seal in Revelation 8-9, contains the first six trumpet judgements of God. This also will occur during the first half of the Tribulation Period.

The sounding of the 7th trumpet in Revelation 11:15 will correlate with the beginning of the 2nd half of the Tribulation Period. The seven vial (bowl) judgements of God described in Revelaton 15:5-8 and chapter 16 occur during the second half of the Tribulation Period. The angel's interpretation of Babylon (Revelation 17) is explained to John; and then......"After all this...." (Rev. 18:1 NLT) the Fall of Babylon is described (Rev. 18)

The..."After these things...." (KJV) or "After this...." (NLT) in Revelation 19 is referring specifically to the "Fall of Babylon" that occurred in Revelation 18. (see Revelation 19:1-3) After this, after the destruction of Babylon, the scene shifts to heaven, and John is recording events that he is witnessing in heaven.

A vast crowd (a great multitude) are described as giving massive praise and worship to God. Who is this vast crowd? This great multitude of people shouting and praising God include the saints who were killed during the first half of the Tribulation Period. They are seen when the 5th seal was opened in Revelation 6:9-11. These were given white robes, told to rest until their fellow brethren to be killed as they were, was completed. In Revelation 7:9-10,13-17 we see a scene depicting saints in heaven. They were described as "those coming out of great tribulation." (Rev. 7:13-14) This will occur before the opening of the 7th seal (Rev. 8:1)

Included in this vast crowd (great multitude) will also be all the prophets, saints, people of God who were killed throughout the ages, starting with Abel from the beginning of time. God's people on earth during the second half of the Tribulation Period will be encouraged to endure persecution patiently. A special promise is given to all who die in the LORD from that period on. (see Revelation 14:12-13)

This vast crowd seen in heaven will incude all who have died because of their witness for the LORD from the beginning, throughout the ages, and during the entire Tribulation Period. (see Revelation 19:1-3, 6)

Forum Lurker
    Nutter Fort, West Virginia, United States
    View rhoover77's Feedback (+5)
    All-About rhoover77
    View rhoover77's Listings
    Forum Posts

How does people know if God is real, it there any real proof, and if so where, because the bible was written by many men.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Rhoover77,

Welccme to this thread. People who believe in God do so by faith. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1) It is also by faith that those who believe in God have chosen to believe his Word (the Bible).

The evidence or proof of God's existence is found in the heart and soul of the believer; in the Scriptures themselves; and in the world around us.

Each person has total choice, to believe or not to believe. The Bible was written by men who were inspired of God. Of course there are many versions of the original texts, written to help the reader's understanding.

Please continue to visit this thread. This is a study of the Biblical text of Revelation. You do not have to be a Christian, or subscribe to the tenets of the Bible.

Forum Lurker
    Nutter Fort, West Virginia, United States
    View rhoover77's Feedback (+5)
    All-About rhoover77
    View rhoover77's Listings
    Forum Posts

But why believe in something that not is there in the flesh...And where did God come from answer me that question because no one can because there is no proof that he exists on;y by over time people had grown to that legend as most may say...

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and he was God. He was in the beginning with God. He created everything there is. Nothing exists that he didn't make. Life itself was in him, and this life gives light to everyone. The light shines through the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it. [John 1:1-4 NLT]

So the Word became human and lived here on earth among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father. [John 1:14 NLT]

No one has ever seen God. But his only Son, who is himself God, is near to the Father's heart; he has told us about him. [John 1:18 NLT]

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

The Apostle John, who authored the Gospel of John (referenced in above post), and John I, II, III; also authored the Book of Revelation. John is also called "the disciple that Jesus loved". John seemed to receive insights and revelations concerning Jesus and the Father, that were not disclosed in the other gospels.

In John 1:1-4, 14, 18 Jesus was ascribed at least ten names, titles, or attributes by John. Jesus was called The Word, God, Creator, Life, Light (see John 8:12), Love, Faithful, Full of Glory, The Only Son of the Father, and that He Came in the Flesh. Jesus himself addressed the issue of having witnesses for himself in the Gospel of John; witnessing who he was, that he had come from God, and that he was God.

Jesus spoke about his witnesses as being John the Baptist, Jesus' own teachings and miracles, the Father, the Scriptures, and Moses. (John 5:31-47 KJV) Yes, even Moses. Jesus said, "Search the Scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (John 5:39) "Do you think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom you trust. For had you believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me." (John 5:45-46 KJV)

Jesus also stated, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad." (John 8:56 KJV) Jesus answered the people who shouted that he wasn't even 50 years old, so how could he have seen Abraham.........Jesus answered, "The truth is, I existed before Abraham was even born." (John 8:57-58 NLT) In the KJV, "Jesus said unto them, 'Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." (John 8:58 KJV) The Jews became so mad that they tried to stone Jesus, but Jesus hid himself, left the Temple, passing through the midst of them. (John 8:59 KJV)

The Gospel of John addressed that the unbelief of most of the people, concerning Jesus, was prophesied specifically by Isaiah. (John 12:37-43) Jesus shouted to the crowds, If you trust me, you are really trusting God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. (John 12:44-45, 46-50)

Jesus even had to assure his own disciples of these things, even though they had spent intimate time with him and witnessed the miracles he had performed. (John 14:1-14) Jesus said to him ("doubting Thomas")....."I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had known who I am, then you would have known who my Father is. From now on you know him and have seen him!" (John 14:6 NLT)

Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to his disciples and followers, as another Counselor (Comforter, Encourager, Advocate, Paraclete) . One who could lead them into all truth. (John 14:15-31)

Jesus went on describing himself as "the true vine....." (John 15:1-17) Jesus stated he had shared all of these things so they would not fall away. (John 16:1) Jesus even prayed for all of his followers, current and future. (John17)

John goes on in the Book of Revelation (The Revelation of Jesus Christ)........to bare record of the Word of God, and the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all the things that he saw........ [Revelation 1:1-3]

Thread Information