eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storms in Mid-West USA

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Storms in Mid-West USA

As many of you probably know there have been storms in the Mid-west. Our area was hit with strong wind (70 mph) on Tues night. Our electricity was off 12 hours. One of our sons has a farm machinery sales lot and it was hit hard. He also sells large containers like merchandise is moved on the railroads and they were blown around and torn up. He got a call at 2 AM to say two of the containers were blocking a gravel road so he had to go move them in the rain and dark.

The "experts" say it was a straight wind but trees look twisted off and farm fences are missing and that usually happens when a tornado hits. I don't understand how a wire can catch enough wind for it to be pulled loose from the posts but it does happen.

We are just thankful that no one was hurt in our area but others were not so fortunate.

I fixed food and went to help them again today, we picked up sticks, tin and got most of the containers uprighted and out of the way. Now just to wait to see what the insurance company plans are.

There are more storms predicted for the next few days, so are just praying no one is injured or worse.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Storms in Mid-West USA

Sounds terrible.....there can be twisters that just hit small areas. I'm not sure if those are always noted on radar. Whatever, it's the end result you have to deal with and clean up. Glad you are ok in your area.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

How awful, glad you weren't hurt. Stay safe, hope the weather gets better in days to come. It's been unseasonably warm here, too, tornado watches abounded, but fortunately no damage done.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

With the mild winter we have had here in the Midwest it kind of makes me wonder what we are in store for this spring. I built my home on the land that was devastated by the Plainfield Tornado in 1990 I beleive. My thought was a smaller chance a Tornado would hit the same exact place twice. Where I grew up was 1 mile away from the Oak Lawn Tornado of 1967. I remember cleaning up with our Boy Scout troop...very eerie feeling seeing that devastation. We (my parents brother and I) watched the Tornado from our front porch. Spectacular site but scary. Sounded like a freight train was right next to you.
    Whenever there are tornado warnings we always go out on the deck (faces South West) and watch as the funnel clouds form. We have seen 2 form into Tornados and watched both pass us by, 1 to the South and 1 to the North both appeared to be within a mile or 2 from us.
    I have always been surprised at the low death toll Tornados bring but even 1 death is too much. The disaster they leave behind is incredible.

All-About suesjools
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    With the mild winter we have had here in the Midwest it kind of makes me wonder what we are in store for this spring. I built my home on the land that was devastated by the Plainfield Tornado in 1990 I beleive. My thought was a smaller chance a Tornado would hit the same exact place twice. Where I grew up was 1 mile away from the Oak Lawn Tornado of 1967. I remember cleaning up with our Boy Scout troop...very eerie feeling seeing that devastation. We (my parents brother and I) watched the Tornado from our front porch. Spectacular site but scary. Sounded like a freight train was right next to you.
    Whenever there are tornado warnings we always go out on the deck (faces South West) and watch as the funnel clouds form. We have seen 2 form into Tornados and watched both pass us by, 1 to the South and 1 to the North both appeared to be within a mile or 2 from us.
    I have always been surprised at the low death toll Tornados bring but even 1 death is too much. The disaster they leave behind is incredible.
    Wow, that is shocking, don't know how you folks in the Midwest deal with this kind of stuff on a semi-regular basis. My Dad grew up in Iowa and saw a few twisters in his time and his brothers still live in the Midwest. Personally, I'd rather deal with NY winters than tornadoes any day.

All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

The tornado of May 2009 was on a path headed our way when it suddenly lifted, changed directions and we didn't have any damage but helped a friend who suffered a direct hit to his farm. Debris was everywhere and several of his cattle had posts driven through them. That torando was the worst I had personally seen. It is amasing what it did, the path of it would be going along and hit a hillside and jump to the next one.

Today we are having a heavy wet snow and it is 32* so shouldn't last long. The blacktop roads are slick and OH just came in and said he wasn't going back out! He is usually out most of the day doing cattle chores.

Since he is in for the afternoon he wanted to know if we can make donuts! Well, of course, it won't do much to our diets and I don't have anything else to do! But instead I just said sure I'll get them stirred up.

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

How shocking to have to deal with your friend's damage and the dreadful sight which must have faced your friend with the cattle, but how lovely to have friends like you. It's wonderful to read how everyone pulls together to help one and other.

All-About suesjools
    Forum Posts

Second Gill, sorry about your neighbor, but glad you're OK.

Enjoy your donuts, I love homemade donuts, what kind are you making?

Stay Safe. The Nat. Weather service says you have more coming tonight. My kids in Virginia are on the outside edge of the warning area so another night of worry about all of you.

All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Second Gill, sorry about your neighbor, but glad you're OK.

Enjoy your donuts, I love homemade donuts, what kind are you making?

We make raised donuts. I do the making, waiting & cutting. OH does the frying and I shake some in granulated sugar and some in powder sugar. They are yummy but I am trying to lose a few pounds, but what is new?

dardonbie I sure hope all is well with your kids. We worry more about them then we do ourselves.

The heavy wet snow we were having at noon is almost all gone now.

The saying is if you don't like the weather in the mid west just wait a few minutes and it will change. It is so true!

Thread Information