eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Huge find of vintage sportscards 1910-1960s

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Huge find of vintage sportscards 1910-1960s

We recently purchased a locker that went unpaid,think storage wars or the like,what caught my eye was some card boxes,sealed,I only saw 4-5 of them but imagined what else could this hold,a treasure trove perhaps

Low and behold I bought the unit,along with some scrap I found over 150 wax boxes and cases from all the 4 major sports,some of these boxes retail for 10k along with that I found rookie cards singles and complete sets a total of 180 000 card singles dating back to 1910 all the way up to the 60s

Now some of these are in poor condition which brings down the value,some are nrmt-mt which raises the value,I have found some 51bowman baseball with mantle rookie,52 topps complete baseball set,48 leaf footabll with all the varitions,just these 3 sets alone have sold for over 150k in exmt conditon but like I said I will be looking at a fraction of that as some are nrmt-mt some are poor and look like they have been caught in the crosshairs

I am still sorting and listing a few of the higher end ones in better conditions but I must say in all my years with all my finds,buying storecloseouts,personal collections this is by far the most impressive collection I have come across,guessing if I can get 40% of what the mantle sells for I can buy a car if I wanted so I did pretty darn good

Have already had 3 shops from canada and 2 from the u.s contact me as they saw a few listings,heard about a few local sales and have made offers,

Well just wanted to share in my newest acquisitions,be they sports cards and I know not too many on the forums are that into them but when a find like that comes up be it cards or art or whatever feels like right place right time deal and now I can't help thinking if I can find more,realistically it is near impossible but you never know what you can find and where it will turn up

Now I have the painstaking job of continuing to sort by year condition rookies,try to see if I can compile more sets,another good find in ther was a sealed wax case of 20 boxes of fleer cards from the original star trek 66 series,another good find,along with a slew of vintage hot wheels redlines mint condition,don't know the value but have about 50 mint in package

Worried now I may spend all my free time going to garage sales trying to find unpaid units and estate sales,trying to top this find will be hard I know it but the collector/seller in me is always after that white whale when I find it I look for a pink one etc etc,meaning there is no end in sight,I am always going to be on the hunt for great finds

Anyone else have any similar stories of great finds,does not have to be sportscards,just a great find by being in the right place at right time would like to hear em,

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1963)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Huge find of vintage sportscards 1910-1960s

Wow, what good luck you had!

Forum Diehard
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks,it was,I was just checking the beckett online price guide which lists the prices for cards and found a whole slew 64 to date that have a value of 2-5004 a piece in their condition,now my problem is which ones to send in to get graded as the higher the grade the higher the resale value but to grade 1 card can run from 10-40$ id I choose to get 100 cards graded looking at a minimum of 1000$ but should be worth the investment

Looks like I will be going at this all night

Forum Diehard
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

2 boxes sold for a profit of 702,this week just keeps on giving,been having summer like weather great sales and finally got to catch up on some cleaning outside the house,did my patio getting it ready for the first of many bbq's can't wait to fire up the grill and slow cook me some ribs mmmm

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbsbks2010 View Post
    Wow, what good luck you had!
    Looks more like professional judgement to me.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

A great find! And think of all those collectors who will be able to buy what they want!

There is a measure of luck but without knowledge, you wouldn't have known they were worth a look.

I am always mildly irritated when my profits on items which I have bought to resell are attributed to luck.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Diehard
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks,and I think I just made some old gents week,he made me some offers and at the end he added I hope these are not too ridiculous I know what these sell for on ebay,I accepted his offers through email and he has purchased 6 old wax boxes of baseball and football cards that he,in his own words would not be able to find even at a card show for that price

I worked out my cost or approx cost per box and I could have listed them elsewhere for more but the fees would have got me,will list some here but he got to a few first so all in all I made a small profit and this gent is a very happy fella who will be checking out my listings over here once I get them up and we both walk away happy which to me is a darn good day

Thread Information