Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have a buyer who wants to do a cash delivery,anyone ever done one

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Have a buyer who wants to do a cash delivery,anyone ever done one

Have a buyer who says they do not have a credit card so no card no paypal acct,they want to send me cash problem is buyer is from India and the idea behind the sales was for a quick turnaround to buy more items for resale,I only stated I accept paypal,check or money order with the stipulation that checks and money orders can sometimes be held by my bank for up to 10 days before clearing

1 I would hate for this buyer to send a substantial amount of $$ in the mail which would not be easy to hide and am not sure what the post is like over in india but know we have our problems here when sending cash in the mail,so I would not want him to have it go missing

2 I would prefer the methods of payment to which I have put forth in my auctions,I am more comfortable with them,paypal being the money grubber it is at least offers protection to a degree,check or money order can be easily verified if they were cashed and when funds were released so as when to expect shipment to go out

3 this buyer is totally new,nothing against new buyers,we need more of em but when a new buyer joined the day of my auction ending and then wants to only pay by cash I just get an iffy feeling

Am I within my rights to cancel this order and relist,I never agreed to a cash sale from across the world to someone I know nothing about,don't get me wrong they could be on the up n up but as I do not accept this form of payment would I be allowed to relist the item and cancel his purchase

Not sure of the ins n outs on this sort of thing on here so any guidance could help a great deal

Thanks and 1 more thing,

To all who replied on either way to my rant the other evening,I am big enough to admit I read into it more than was there and have apologized to the poster who I thought had wronged me,and would like to take this chance to offer an apology to everyone else,things got a bit heated and cooler heads(on my part)only came to be a while later,I am sorry about that mess,Things just snowballed out of control and I just kept adding the snow

Thanks again.

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1963)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Have a buyer who wants to do a cash delivery,anyone ever done one

Explain to them that the cash could go missing between leaving them and getting to you. It would be far better for them to go into a bank and get the bank to transfer the cash to your bank account, making sure that the buyer knows there will be bank charges to pay
    If the buyer can't manage that, suggest to them that you will have to cancel the sale as there is no way to get payment from them safely.
    P.S. what sort of cash will it be from India? Can you spend rupees in Canada?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbsbks2010 View Post
    Explain to them that the cash could go missing between leaving them and getting to you. It would be far better for them to go into a bank and get the bank to transfer the cash to your bank account, making sure that the buyer knows there will be bank charges to pay
    If the buyer can't manage that, suggest to them that you will have to cancel the sale as there is no way to get payment from them safely.
    P.S. what sort of cash will it be from India? Can you spend rupees in Canada?
    Agree with gbs, most banks will transfer funds, though they do charge fees. I also don't think it's a good idea to send cash through the mail, especially a large amount. IMHO you have every right to cancel the sale if you state upfront that you don't accept cash payments and didn't agree to the cash payment beforehand, but you may want to check with support on this.

Hope you get this sorted soon.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

India--Auction sale--Cash. Run Away!

Make sure you tell him/her that cash is sent at his own risk - and you will not be held responsible if it goes astray in the post.
    You receive the cash (in your own currency) - send the item out - remembering to obtain proof of postage to the address he requests it sent to.

Whats the worse thing that can happen?

If he/she claims item not received....
    He can only leave a neg fb - you respond with a link to a photograph of proof of postage to his address, and forward a copy of that to ebid support to prove it to them.
    Last edited by MagnetsAndHangers; 25th March 2012 at 05:08 PM.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    India--Auction sale--Cash. Run Away!

Why?

if a buyer wants to send me cash they are welcome to do so, No PayPal fees, No dodgy Western Union MO, No chargebacks, just good old plain banknotes. If they are forged the bank will tell me and I would not send the goods so no risk to me,

If the cash goes missing in the post it ain't my worry as if it don't reach me I don't send the goods. if the buyer is willing to take the risk its up to him.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have received cash in the mail for substantial amounts of money. Never have discussed it with a buyer. I thought they did it to see if I was an honest seller. It would be very easy to claim non-receipt. The flip side is also true. I have never had a problem with a buyer who sent cash. I will admit that I do not really like cash payment, as too much can go wrong. This could happen as a result of no fault on part of buyer or seller.

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1963)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    Why?

if a buyer wants to send me cash they are welcome to do so, No PayPal fees, No dodgy Western Union MO, No chargebacks, just good old plain banknotes. If they are forged the bank will tell me and I would not send the goods so no risk to me,

If the cash goes missing in the post it ain't my worry as if it don't reach me I don't send the goods. if the buyer is willing to take the risk its up to him.
    I agree cash is cash if it is being sent in the same country.

But you would have to go to India to spend the cash if it came in Rupees in this particular case or have the cost of currency exchange charges if you hadn't planned a holiday in India .

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

If I were to agree to it I would have to have them send cdn funds by registered post so I can sign for it for their protection,I have had some cash sales in the past but always buyers I dealt with and always for just a few bucks

So far they do not want to pay for registered mail nor do they want a proof of receipt when I get the funds,I don't like to be difficult to deal with but too much could go wrong while awaiting this payment whereas I can cancel the sale relist the item,resell it and buy new items for resale

I will try them 1 more time and if nothing can be worked out than I will cancel the sale,first contacting support to make sure I am not breaking any rules,can't see that I am as my payments are specified as paypal,check or money order

Thanks everyone

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    Why?

India is notorious for various email/auction site scams. This particular individual made the purchase first then asked if his method of payment was okay.
    I do agree with Magnets "what's the worst thing that could happen."

The three combinations I stated in my first post would make me cancel the sale. Just my way of doing things that's all. Someone is shopping on line with no method of being able to pay other then cash?

Thread Information