Thread: Petrol Strike

Forum Lurker
    View Vinylization's Feedback (+277)
    All-About Vinylization
    View Vinylization's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Petrol Strike

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Wow, what a mess. At least in the UK you have good public transport. I can't imagine what would happen here if there was a similar strike, as aside from a few major cities most areas don't have a lot of public transport options.

Hope this gets sorted soon.

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Except we don't have good public transport. It absolutely sucks!! Still we'll survive I guess

[QUOTE=suesjools;1436766]Wow, what a mess. At least in the UK you have good public transport. I can't imagine what would happen here if there was a similar strike, as aside from a few major cities most areas don't have a lot of public transport options./QUOTE]

Very much the same here, and what will happen if the public transport runs out of fuel?

The village where I came from used to have bus services running around every 15 - 30 minutes to both Mansfield & Newark, the two nearest towns. These days they are lucky to get 2 or 3 buses a day. Almost impossible for anyone to get to work unless they have a car.

Sadly this appears to be the unions flexing their muscles, using health & safety as a smokescreen to put in for a pay rise at the same time.
    Last edited by booksntings; 29th March 2012 at 12:47 PM.

Stiring up an almost riot has certainly taken the heat away from Mr Cameron and his £250,000 downing street dinner parties

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    Stiring up an almost riot has certainly taken the heat away from Mr Cameron and his £250,000 downing street dinner parties
    Not a big fan of Mr C, or any politician for that matter. The whole thing about funding political parties is a mess, & the Union behind the proposed petrol strikes UNISON are one of the biggest supporters of the Labour Party.

Forum Lurker
    View Vinylization's Feedback (+277)
    All-About Vinylization
    View Vinylization's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not to mention the very questionable people donating to the current Conservative government. I so look forward to David's open and unrestrained list of Tory donors

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=booksntings;1436768]
    Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Wow, what a mess. At least in the UK you have good public transport. I can't imagine what would happen here if there was a similar strike, as aside from a few major cities most areas don't have a lot of public transport options./QUOTE]

Very much the same here, and what will happen if the public transport runs out of fuel?

The village where I came from used to have bus services running around every 15 - 30 minutes to both Mansfield & Newark, the two nearest towns. These days they are lucky to get 2 or 3 buses a day. Almost impossible for anyone to get to work unless they have a car.

Sadly this appears to be the unions flexing their muscles, using health & safety as a smokescreen to put in for a pay rise at the same time.
    Oh wow, didn't realize that, sorry to hear it. When I was in London in 2000 there seemed to be lots of options, but then our major cities have a lot of transport options, too; it's folks who live in outlying areas who have the most problems with transport here, sounds like it's the same there.

I do hope this is settled soon.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

What this whole mess does do is demonstrate just how little this country has in the way of supplies on a day-to-day basis. Fuel runs out really quickly and so would food, water, medicines and everything else that people rely on if there was a problem with the supply chain.

The vast majority of people do not realise just how reliant we have become on "just in time" deliveries of ALL our daily essentials. It is because of this modern way of life that so many do not keep even a week's worth of food or a few days worth of bottled water; everyone just assumes that when they nip down to the shops, the shops will be full of stuff ready to be bought. But what happens if those supplies run out? Where will people go if the deliveries are interrupted?

It is estimated that without continuous deliveries there is enough food for three days of normal purchases. Three days and then ..... what? What would you do to feed your wife, your husband, your kids? How far would you go to get medicine for a sick relative? If the people down the road had lots of food and you had none, would you sit and starve?

And what will people do differently after they read this or other similar information? Absolutely nothing. People won't change, aren't interested and don't believe that there will ever be a problem - even though we see the short term chaos from events like this fuel strike / non-strike, terrorist attacks, transport route closures, extreme (and getting more frequent) weather events and so on. The lesson can't be learned until people accept there is a lesson to be learned.

View kazeran's Feedback (+7908)
    All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

I like a bit of anarchy myself.. Its refreshing to watch all the self assured "there is no trouble with the economy" snobs all queing up for petrol in a complete panic. Just wait until the Government decide to finally raise the interest rate

View kazeran's Feedback (+7908)
    All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

Oh, and while I think about it...When I was on my way home from Exeter today, there were queues at nearly every petrol station, causing loads of traffic. I drove down to the M5 junction at cullompton (on my way home) where there is a service station charging a whole penny more for fuel and simply drove in to an almost empty forecourt and filled up? Must have cost me a whole 30p more...

Thread Information