Thread: possible suspicious buyer

Forum Lurker
    Kettering, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View the_iron_dwarf's Feedback (+171)
    All-About the_iron_dwarf
    View the_iron_dwarf's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default possible suspicious buyer

just sold an item and the buyer joined 4 mins before buying, wants to pay by paypal and is in malaysia.
    here I cannot see if the buyer has bought lots of items from different people since this morning, they have no feedback but 0.400 buddy points.
    have replied that I do take paypal if they have a verified address and it is seller protection eligible.
    yes I have been selling online for a few years here and there but all I can do now is await a reply
    http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?wor...arch&type=user
    trying to get back up to 100+ listings ( I hope )

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: possible suspicious buyer

What is suspicious about them
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Someone sees one of your items - decides to purchase it - but hasnt joined ebid yet.
    So he joins up.

A little while later he is being branded as a possible suspicious buyer.

Hope he and other possible buyers dont read this.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_iron_dwarf View Post
    just sold an item and the buyer joined 4 mins before buying, wants to pay by paypal and is in malaysia.
    here I cannot see if the buyer has bought lots of items from different people since this morning, they have no feedback but 0.400 buddy points.
    have replied that I do take paypal if they have a verified address and it is seller protection eligible.
    yes I have been selling online for a few years here and there but all I can do now is await a reply
    They found your listing on a search, wanted it, not a member of eBid, wanted to buy.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

There should not be anything suspicious about him wanting to pay by Paypal. Just make sure you have tracking on the package to cover your end in case he tries to say he never got the package and then asks for a refund. I would have to believe there are always people out there trying to pull that kind of scam.

Forum Lurker
    Kettering, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View the_iron_dwarf's Feedback (+171)
    All-About the_iron_dwarf
    View the_iron_dwarf's Listings
    Forum Posts

will be cautious until I find out if they are unverified and the transaction is ineligible for seller protection and they opened the pp account the same day.
    yes it may be ok or I may get an email saying I have a payment and they are verified etc but when I go to my PP account there is no mention of the transaction but the email has a sign in link that takes me to a spoof site, yes I have had a few of these, even had one from someone 3 houses away who wanted to buy my car and have it shipped to a different continent ( the IP address for that was nigeria and they wanted to collect the car the next day to ship it to canada, I took a walk along the street to let the person know their account was hijacked and that they had just paid me £1000 for a car selling at £250).
    have had a few friends who have sent stuff only to get a chargeback and worse, to have sellers they have paid using the proceeds that my friends used 'fraudulent funds'.
    yes if as a seller you get a payment into your pp account from a stolen card or other type of fraud, send the item off, use the payment to buy something then PP can and do tell those you have paid that you paid them with fraudulent funds and take it back from the person you bought from even when they know you are the victim of the fraud.

replied earlier today to the buyer but his email bounces, that is one reason to be cautious

yes they could have seen my item and joined to buy it and if everything is ok I will send the item when I get the payment but I do know ways to check if the payment is real or not
    http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?wor...arch&type=user
    trying to get back up to 100+ listings ( I hope )

Forum Lurker
    View ShopsurplusUK's Feedback (+23)
    All-About ShopsurplusUK
    View ShopsurplusUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sounds to me that you have every reason to be suspicious but I do find these forums rather hostile whenever you ask advice.
    Why don't people chill out a bit and try to be a bit more, dare I say, "happy?"

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShopsurplusUK View Post
    Sounds to me that you have every reason to be suspicious but I do find these forums rather hostile whenever you ask advice.

I don't see any request for advice in the opening post
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Quote Originally Posted by ShopsurplusUK View Post
    So you would be quite happy to join a site, purchase something, then be branded as suspicious in a public area?

Personally, if it happened to me, I wouldnt be back.

Also - I dont see hostile responses to the op - I do however see people giving their opinions.

People have always said dont post to Italy but ive never had a problem posting there, but nothing wrong by going by your instinct and being cautious.
    Send goods by a trackable means and you should be covered by Paypal.

Thread Information