eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to YDC USA charity auctions?

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default What happened to YDC USA charity auctions?

These can be available to the UK as wellas internationally but they stopped in 2010 (I think) so what happened?
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What happened to YDC USA charity auctions?

I don't think they stopped in 2010 - why do you say that? I've bought things on YDC from US sellers......................recently.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm doing a spreadsheet HM of the charities that have been nominated since YDC 71 - I can't find anything prior to this - and came across the YDC USA. So, not having seen anything for YDC USA I thought I'd ask the question.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

All-About HerMajesty
    Forum Posts

OK - Not sure if you mean the Charities are in the US, The LISTERS are in the US, or the NOMINATED CHARITY is in the US.
    For example, I bid on this one, but didin't get it...........don't recall who the charity was, but the lister is a US citizen.
    YDC 96 Dreamcatcher with Beads.....listed by youmeus.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

A few years ago when there were more USA participants in the YDC it was decided that YDC should be split into two, having a nominated charity for the US as well as the UK, but it struggled to survive that way. Another vote was taken and it was amalgamated again with just one nominated charity that everybody is united in raising funds for.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    A few years ago when there were more USA participants in the YDC it was decided that YDC should be split into two, having a nominated charity for the US as well as the UK, but it struggled to survive that way. Another vote was taken and it was amalgamated again with just one nominated charity that everybody is united in raising funds for.
    Thank you cornish. Now my question is, where have those USA participants gone?

All-About HerMajesty
    Forum Posts

There are participants from the US in all the YDC's that I can recall..............but not to the extent that one would hope. Canada, Aus, and other locations may have an occasional bidder, I don't know, but I don't know of any listers......in YDC
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I'm doing a spreadsheet HM of the charities that have been nominated since YDC 71 - I can't find anything prior to this - and came across the YDC USA. So, not having seen anything for YDC USA I thought I'd ask the question.
    If you look in the 'archives' for the Kitchen Table forum ( the link is at the bottom of this page) then you can trawl through and look for the YDC announcement threads. There were a few months when we were banished entirely to the charity forum and not allowed to use the kitchen table so worth checking those archives too.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Yes, the YDC USA was integrated into the general YDC many YDC's ago. Yes, the separate USA YDC did struggle, but at least it was visible. The combined/joint YDC was thought to be the solution; however, the reality has proven likewise. USA involvement diminished greatly, and has continued to do so. There has not been a nominated USA charity in eons of YDC's, and the involvement of USA participants seems to be few, and mainly as listers and buyers.

A dramatically reduced presence and vitality of involvement. I hope this is only my perception, but it does not appear that many, if any, really see this as reason for concern. Seems involvement in YDC is becoming more of a status symbol, the "us" compared to the overall eBid community.

Hope I'm wrong, but don't think so. In any event it is just MHO.

P.S. There has been a recent increase in USA participant involvement; particularly new eBidders who are not familiar with the history of YDC/USA YDC. Hopefully this will spur new USA levels of involvement and presence.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

The 'search' for YDC is locating every thread as far as I can see. Then again maybe some have been deleted.

Thread Information