eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: DIY (paint) help please!

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default DIY (paint) help please!

My friend wants to decorate her living room but needs to use a "low-odour" gloss paint as her hubby suffers from COPD and paint fumes would affect him badly.

I've tried Googling but am going round in circles, so if any of you nice people can tell me a brand and where to get it, I'd be obliged.
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

Default Re: DIY (paint) help please!

Quote Originally Posted by KAYS6912 View Post
    My friend wants to decorate her living room but needs to use a "low-odour" gloss paint as her hubby suffers from COPD and paint fumes would affect him badly.

I've tried Googling but am going round in circles, so if any of you nice people can tell me a brand and where to get it, I'd be obliged.
    Normally they would be water based glosses and it also tells you on the tins if they are low odour.

Good things with water based is, wash in water not turps/white spirit, tend to dry quicker and less smell normally

Regards brand, I know that Dulux, Crown, B&Q's own make and Wickes all do a low odour, if you need a lot, you may be able to have your own colour made up at a decorator centre like dulux DC

Nearest Dulux decorator centre to you is G32 8HY ( I think based on your location setting)
    Last edited by raindropsies; 6th May 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    Normally they would be water based glosses and it also tells you on the tins if they are low odour.

Good things with water based is, wash in water not turps/white spirit, tend to dry quicker and less smell normally

Regards brand, I know that Dulux, Crown, B&Q's own make and Wickes all do a low odour, if you need a lot, you may be able to have your own colour made up at a decorator centre like dulux DC

Nearest Dulux decorator centre to you is G32 8HY ( I think based on your location setting)
    Thanks Sarah. I did find out about the water-based stuff. I also read a review about the Wickes one and it wasn't at all good! I'll have a wee look at B&Q's website again see if I get anywhere this time.

Oh - and my friend's in Liverpool Sarah but thanks for taking the time to check that out for me.
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

Forum Diehard
    View JimmyCee's Feedback (+85)
    All-About JimmyCee
    View JimmyCee's Listings
    Forum Posts

Here in the U.S. I have used Sherwin Williams oil based paint for many years.
    Even tho their ratings arent as good as some, I have found their oil base paints loses odor within 2 hours.
    Even more than 20 years ago we have commented on low odor from their products.
    Keep searching and find some newsgroups that have home repair listed

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Nancy,

Agree with Rainy, B&Q have a greater stock of low odour than other trade places. Ask them if they have 'Crown' which is supposed to be the best. The finish is obviously not as good a 'gloss' finish because of being water based.

LD

It won't help with the low odour part of your dilema - but adding to Rainy's suggestion of water based paints - I have found them to be easier on the nose so to speak, they make the clean up after painting a lot easier and .......... the water based paints are 'pet friendly' - an essential if the furries want to lend a hand with the decorating )
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Odourless, solvent-free Organic Paints

The world's best selling water based organic paint
    totally free of all pesticides, herbicides & toxins.
    Conventional gloss paints AND emulsion paints contain solvents which can cause irritation and serious health problems. ECOS organic paints- the world's only range of water based solvent free paints and varnishes -

type in google ECOS organic paint
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Thread Information