eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: uk postage robbery

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: uk postage robbery

I think that increased postal charges will kill some on line sales.
    I will just as cheap to buy from a store when you are in town.

(And I think that increased security at airports and on planes must be costing us all a fortune)

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

It costs me £2.90 to catch a bus for 7.5 miles from Alloa to Stirling.
    It costs me £2.70 to get the OPs theoretical package 420 miles from Alloa to Penzance?

Could someone explain to me just why the second one is robbery?

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PetBazaar View Post
    It costs me £2.90 to catch a bus for 7.5 miles from Alloa to Stirling.
    It costs me £2.70 to get the OPs theoretical package 420 miles from Alloa to Penzance?

Could someone explain to me just why the second one is robbery?
    Because its not.

Actually as already stated a 750 gram package to any where in the UK for only £2.20 (Second Class Post) is a bargin.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    Because its not.

Actually as already stated a 750 gram package to any where in the UK for only £2.20 (Second Class Post) is a bargin.
    Well, that's rather my feelings too. Even at the aforementioned £2.70, I reckon that a sevice that gets your package collected, transported to the other end of the country and delivered to a named recipient at a specified location within a couple of days, is a bargain too.

Just seems to be a lot of these "postage is a complete rip off threads" at the moment.

View NuttyKrafts's Feedback (+644)
    All-About NuttyKrafts
    View NuttyKrafts's Listings
    Forum Posts

We have to moan about something!
    Nutty by name, nutty by nature.
    /

Hand made items here

Bits and pieces here

Fund raising for L.O.R.O.S. here

Books and music for L.O.R.O.S. here

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yup, disgusting these postal prices are now. I think royal mail would have been better off keeping the up to 100g and up to 250g to keep small and light items cheap to send (like loose action figures and single carded action figures for me), while doing a weight/price tariff of 251g-1000g instead for the new price. But hey, fat cats need to keep their mansions and 2 or 3 holiday homes one way or another! Seeing as we pay for their mansions and holiday homes, maybe we should force them to let us use them for free so we can have cheap holidays lmao!
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Post Office are losing out on some of these increases. It is now more and more worthwhile using other services, especially for heavier items. Posted one yesterday at 1.7k, Post Office £5.30, Collect+, £4. I can also get further discounts by setting up an account and depositing money with them. I send 5-6 parcels a month in that sort of weight range, they will all be going via other couriers.

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyKrafts View Post
    most of my items are small and lightweight but I am no longer offering to ship abroad as previously, an item costing £1.49 to post to Europe is now £2.70, U.S.A. and Australia used to be around £2 - now £3.30.
    £3.30 is about $5.00 according to today's conversion rate. When I ship a package to a U.S. address, it costs more than $5.00 if it weighs over 13 ounces, and $2.00 to $3.65 up to 13 ounces.

I don't think any U.S. buyer will blink at paying $5.00 for shipping a small item from another country. We're used to high postage here.

Parkgate Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View MHTTrading's Feedback (+3556)
    All-About MHTTrading
    View MHTTrading's Listings
    Forum Posts

We recently changed over to franked mail, yes there are additional cost implications but there are benefits too.

Benefits :
    1. We don't have a mad rush to the post office at 4pm and then spend 30 minutes in a queue, we can simply pop them into a franked mail box at the end of our road as late as 6pm, we could have the post collected but its not worth the additional cost

2. The postage rate is quite a bit cheaper, even allowing an amount for Packaging and the costs shown below we can still send goods out and charge the customer at the same rate or less than the normal postage rate so it does make it more favourable for the buyer. eg. a small item of up to 99g in a jiffy bag sent by First Class Large letter costs the buyer 85p, normal post rate alone is 90p
    We only offer first class post.

Disadvantages.
    1. Quarterly rental for the machine approx £200
    2. Annual Service/maintenance charge... Approx £120
    3. Franking labels (machine supplier wanted £30 per 1000, purchased some for £12.00 per 1000 on auction site
    4. Ink Cartridge (£135 for 10,000 impressions) ....will be buyer cheaper alternatives
    5. Having to place a chunk of money on account so that you can draw off postage as required (we put £1000 up front, that was £500 installed on the machine on arrival, and then £500 kept on account)
    6.New tarrif card /chip when Royal Mail increase prices ... £75 a year... Grrrr

The new Royal Mail charges did have a knock on effect with our International sales for a little while but thankfully they are back on the increase which is good news as International sales produce 25% of our turnover.

Price increases are always inevitable especially with Royal Mail, Until another delivery company can come up with a similar service for small packages and Large letters at a lower price then unfortunately we are stuck with Royal Mail.
    Last edited by act; 1st June 2012 at 09:20 AM.

I live in France and rely heavily on mail order for my hobby because things that are available in the UK can't be obtained in France. If you compare like for like the postage cost to France isn't much dearer for small items , so keep offering overseas post as an option, and if you think UK postal costs are high take a look at what it costs here in France.

Thread Information