eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can you tell If a Autograph is genuine?

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default How can you tell If a Autograph is genuine?

Picked up some Photos with signitures on just wondered How to tell if they are A) Genuine Photos and B) Genuine Signitures! I have a feeling they could be BUT I know with popular people they employ people to sign for them! (Cant remember the correct term for this)

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Default Re: How can you tell If a Autograph is genuine?

Like the OP said though, some people had others sign for them, the Beatles backroom staff signed a lot of theirs and not sure if they are easy to spot, though I have seen on TV where the experts say this is genuine but this one wasn't signed by them.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

The first thing to do (we got a load a while back for theatre fundraising after spending a couple of weeks writing off to celebs) is check that the signature is ink. Either it will show through the photo if done with thick pen, or you can see the indent of writing. That shows it is a written signature rather than what people call a pre-pen, where its done by a machine.

As for secretarial signatures, I havent found a good way around telling that, I'm afraid. If a celebrity, as happened on at least 50% of occiasions, included a personalised letter/ note with the picture, then we know for definite that it is genuine, and if it is the printed photo that we sent to be signed that comes back, rather than another one off a pre-signed pile, then we assume the best as well.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

The only sure fire way of knowing they're genuine is if you actually see the person sign it.I had a signed record sleeve by the Jets (now sold) where I said in the description that I could take the buyer to their house to confirm.They didn't take me up on it though.

I've always wondered about these certificates of authenticity too.How do you know they're genuine?Who signs those & with what authority?Can you get a certificate to say the COA is genuine?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    The only sure fire way of knowing they're genuine is if you actually see the person sign it.I had a signed record sleeve by the Jets (now sold) where I said in the description that I could take the buyer to their house to confirm.They didn't take me up on it though.

I've always wondered about these certificates of authenticity too.How do you know they're genuine?Who signs those & with what authority?Can you get a certificate to say the COA is genuine?
    LOL, good question. I imagine this could be a problem for those who collect autographs. Some designer jewelry gets forged a lot, too, not sure about autographs, but with the jewelry the fakes are usually not as well made as the originals, not sure that applies here. Some sound advice above though.

Oh and I have a nice pair of fake Tiffany earrings I got at a yard sale dirt cheap, tested sterling and they look pretty, so I'm happy. Wouldn't try to resell them though.

Good luck and best wishes for many sales to all,

I think there are people who can actually tell the genuine article. But this is a huge market, with massive money being made, so inevitably there are forgeries. There is a body called the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC) for dealers and standard members, so obviously buying from a member of a body like that should give some confidence, they might have tips on their site for spotting forgeries as well.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    I think there are people who can actually tell the genuine article. But this is a huge market, with massive money being made, so inevitably there are forgeries. There is a body called the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC) for dealers and standard members, so obviously buying from a member of a body like that should give some confidence, they might have tips on their site for spotting forgeries as well.
    Excellent advice.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have an excellent local collectibles shop that deals with coins, stamps, signed sports memorabalia, and other signed collectibles. I run stuff by them frequently at no cost. As was said, the best way is to see the item signed by the actual party in person.

I had gotten taken by a pretty covincing seller here. That shop difinitively showed me why the item, the signature, and the COA were all frauds. Got my money back and the seller left here voluntarily I believe. This made me make a decision not to buy this type of stuff from anywhere. I want the real deal; so that means get the siggy for myself; or spend the dosh at a reputable source.

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Well I have one by Tony Blair Signed Photo with a letter from Downing street. But again Its just posible that even the letter can be Faked! Lucky I ahve a friend who is a Photographer So I'm tking the pictures for him to look at. I'm pretty sure he would tell me in the Pictures are genuine at least!

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Quote Originally Posted by Rednosty View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Well I have one by Tony Blair Signed Photo with a letter from Downing street. But again Its just posible that even the letter can be Faked! Lucky I ahve a friend who is a Photographer So I'm tking the pictures for him to look at. I'm pretty sure he would tell me in the Pictures are genuine at least!
    Not sure if Tony Blair is going to be the most popular figure to sell an autograph for. A few people are of the opinion he's a fake, never mind his signature!

Apparently the signature to really find is William Shakespeare, only about 6 or 7 in existance and wort a million+. The odd thing is that for the greatest contributor to the English language, if I remember rightly they are all spelt differently.

Thread Information