eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Right to sell and resell

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Right to sell and resell

Wow, hadn't heard anything about this on the news, (figures, they ignore the important stuff, what else is new)? Thanks for sharing this.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

big business getting desperate/

heres a little gem from barclay card

Did you know you can enjoy all this?

Purchase Delivery Protection for buying new items online, over the phone or via mail order (excludes antiques, second hand goods and services) from UK suppliers. This is in addition to your legal rights under the Consumer Credit Act.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

View harold69's Feedback (+369)
    All-About harold69
    View harold69's Listings
    Forum Posts

A college student that wants to work, should be left alone, as long as they are not stealing. I guess we better watch selling books huh.

Taken to it's utmost, this would mean that if you bought a car, you would not have the right to resell that car without the makers permission. It is ridiculous that big business wants, and frequently gets laws that help them swindle the public. In the UK we frequently pay a higher price than the rest of the world for goods. Many items are priced the same in US Dollars and UK pounds , despite the difference in the value of the currency. The internet was one plece where people could freely purchase goods from anywhere in the world, a truly global marketplace, and I for one hope it remains that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    Many items are priced the same in US Dollars and UK pounds , despite the difference in the value of the currency.
    Which may be perceived as unfair, but what about the issues of cost of manufacture and shipping - is the item manaufactured soley in the US or is it also manufactured locally with all the increase in costs which that entails - or if it is shipped over, how much is added to cover those costs including not just the shipping but the insurance, handling, import fees/duty, delivery and/or warehousing before final distribution costs?

The reality is that some stuff costs more here because it costs more to make it here or get it here.

However, yes, it does feel that some manufacturers / sellers do seem to take advantage of the UK market in an unfair manner.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Surely people are allowed to sell on second hand things that they no longer want/need.

Taken to it's utmost, this would mean that if you bought a car, you would not have the right to resell that car without the makers permission.
    That is not how I read it.

What I see is that an enterprising person was deliberately importing goods from an overseas market at a lower price than the market local to him and then selling the goods at a profit to him, but at a price that was still lower than the local market price. Manufacturers see this undercutting of the prices they have set as diluting the value of the product. Many goods are sold at a high price not because they are intrinsically worth that high price, but because the seller has spent time and money on advertising to create the perception of a high value brand. People pay more because they "think" it is worth more and like the feeling it gives them to be able to afford that price. To undercut the price can "cheapen" the brand and make the advertising worthless.

So the question is whether this student should be restricted by the rules which allow the manuafacturer to set the price for sale of the item or whether the original supplier in the foreign country is considered to be the first seller - and therefore the person that would be effected by the manufacturer's price setting rule (if they were not in another country) - or whether the student becomes the first seller as he is the one selling the goods in the same country that allows the maufacturer to set the price.

In short, as far as we are concerned, unless we are importing goods for sale directly from a manufacturer it shouldn't effect us.

Of course, as I am not a lawyer, I could be wrong.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Which may be perceived as unfair, but what about the issues of cost of manufacture and shipping - is the item manaufactured soley in the US or is it also manufactured locally with all the increase in costs which that entails - or if it is shipped over, how much is added to cover those costs including not just the shipping but the insurance, handling, import fees/duty, delivery and/or warehousing before final distribution costs?

husqvarna power saws made in sweden i can buy a particular model in the good old usa 300 notes cheaper than a stockiest in the uk the shipping is a 100 notes and i still save 200,

The reality is that some stuff costs more here because it costs more to make it here or get it here.

However, yes, it does feel that some manufacturers / sellers do seem to take advantage of the UK market in an unfair manner.
    husqvarna power saws made in sweden i can buy a particular model in the good old usa 300 notes cheaper than a stockiest in the uk the shipping is a 100 notes and i still save 200,

manufacturers / sellers do seem to take advantage of the UK market in an unfair manner.[/QUOTE] your not kidding are you the uk is ripped off at source of supply till the end user gets it partly down to the uk being percived as a wealthy nation partly because credit has been until fairly recently very easy to obtain in other words its very easy to spend 500 notes via a piece of plastic youd think twice before taking that much out of your wedge, [ thats cash to the british public] and of course all the powers that be who have pushed a cashless socitey undermining the true value of currency all manufactures and banks know this, just look at the banking scandle fueld by greed,and so it catches up with them all. new goods are harder to sell the second hand market flourishes companies top lines drop yet they see a flourishing second hand market in there goods, they sell there products new to mr shop in thailand for x amount and sell the exact same product to mr shop in the uk for xx amount the manufacturing costs are exactly the same ok shipping might be more but bulk shipping means agreements which your not privey too in other words the shipping bares little to the overall cost take the example i have given how can the saw people sell the same saw in the usa 300 cheaper than the uk were its another 2000 miles or so to ship, the answer is simple markets are fixed to what they think they can get for something if they sold the product for the same price in every country allowing for shipping then the black market of shipping goods around the world would not exist to the extent it does. pure greed and encreasingly desperation by companies who also resort to behind the curtain lobbying of administrations to further there own ends
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

View Naturelady's Feedback (+653)
    All-About Naturelady
    View Naturelady's Listings
    Forum Posts

Taken to it's utmost, this would mean that if you bought a car, you would not have the right to resell that car without the makers permission. It is ridiculous that big business wants, and frequently gets laws that help them swindle the public. In the UK we frequently pay a higher price than the rest of the world for goods. Many items are priced the same in US Dollars and UK pounds , despite the difference in the value of the currency. The internet was one plece where people could freely purchase goods from anywhere in the world, a truly global marketplace, and I for one hope it remains that way.
    Members of Citizens for Ownership Rights are warning that if the high court upholds strict limitations on the first-sale doctrine concerning imported merchandise, potentially any product with a component that was produced overseas could be subject to resale restrictions. That would give manufacturers dramatically expanded powers over pricing and distribution, and could significantly curtail secondary markets - both online and off.

I agree with you kreativebargains. I think this could be a very dangerous scenario for those of us who sell second-hand goods. That is why I wanted to share it with fellow eBidders and why I signed the petition.

Thread Information