My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Payment Methods Accepte for Casual Seller

Default Payment Methods Accepte for Casual Seller

I'm new to Ebid and I was wondering how it works with accepting payments. I've dealt with paypal and disliked it and only want to accept Debit/Credit cards. Is that available to casual sellers? I only saw the options for Seller+ and I wasn't sure how I would get the payment if I accepted the debit/credit cards? Can you tell me how this works?

Thanks in advance for answering.
    Last edited by smurfetturner; 15th July 2012 at 10:25 PM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Payment Methods Accepte for Casual Seller

You can accept whatever payment methods you wish (you can be paid in chocolate buttons if you wish).

I doubt that the Debit/Credit card option would be viable for you as a casual seller, as you would require a merchant banking account (unless US banking is different to the UK). Such accounts don't come cheap.

There are other payment processors apart from PayPal out there (e.g. Google Wallet, Skrill, etc.) which would allow buyers to pay by credit/debit card.

Be aware that, although you may dislike it, many buyers do like PayPal. You could restrict your sales by refusing to accept it.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have to agree. Most people do prefer to use paypal, I'm afraid, and as a casual seller I think it unlikely you would be able to directly accept credit/debit card payments.
    I also accept postal orders and cheques as payment, but have never had those options used on ebid, and only rarely on the other site.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just to clarify...

If you set the Debit/Credit Card payment option on your listings, that means that you can process such card transactions yourself. I.e. someone could give you their card details and you could handle the complete transaction yourself. It is not the same as someone using their card to pay you via a payment processor - such as Google Wallet or PayPal.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Anyone who dislikes Paypal so much that they don't want to accept it, is really cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Anyone who dislikes Paypal so much that they don't want to accept it, is really cutting off their nose to spite their face.
    True, but don't use it to accept payments for more than you're prepared to lose. There are plenty of examples of scams where buyers pay for items with Paypal, then fraudulently claim, and usually Paypal just rips the money out of your account and refunds the buyer, without listening to your side of the case. And don't think that by quickly withdrawing the funds you're safe -- they'll send your account into the red and threaten legal action or bailiffs.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    True, but don't use it to accept payments for more than you're prepared to lose. There are plenty of examples of scams where buyers pay for items with Paypal, then fraudulently claim, and usually Paypal just rips the money out of your account and refunds the buyer, without listening to your side of the case. And don't think that by quickly withdrawing the funds you're safe -- they'll send your account into the red and threaten legal action or bailiffs.
    Yes, true, but I think it is mostly ebay buyers.
    So what do you use John ?

Forum Lurker
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View hotandvintage's Feedback (+13)
    All-About hotandvintage
    View hotandvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smurfetturner View Post
    I'm new to Ebid and I was wondering how it works with accepting payments. I've dealt with paypal and disliked it and only want to accept Debit/Credit cards. Is that available to casual sellers? I only saw the options for Seller+ and I wasn't sure how I would get the payment if I accepted the debit/credit cards? Can you tell me how this works?

Thanks in advance for answering.
    You can use Nochex to accept card payments for free if only selling in the UK but have to upgrade to do the same overseas, I think the amount you can be paid is limited on the basic account.

But there are a few payment methods available on here

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Yes, true, but I think it is mostly ebay buyers.
    So what do you use John ?
    I use whatever works, and that usually means Paypal. However, my account is no longer linked to a valid bank a/c or credit card, so although they can freeze my money if they choose, they can't suck money from elsewhere. Of course there are lots of people that have never had a problem with Paypal, but that's rather like saying they walk across the road every day and don't get mown down, so nobody ever gets hurt. I still like to look both ways before stepping out.

Where is Paypal NZ registered? Paypal UK operates from Luxembourg, and isn't subject to UK banking regulations (I've no idea why not). If I email my UK bank I get a sensible and useful reply. If I email feeBay or PayPoo, I get a cut and paste job that even a robot could improve on. It gives me no confidence they'll look thoughtfully at a transaction that goes sour and I've no idea how I could put pressure on them.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information