eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally....it's Over!!

Default Re: Finally....it's Over!!

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    This is a question I would really like a detailed answer to.

What does a TV Detector Van actually detect ?
    apparently they detect a part of the signal that is given off when your TV converts the signal from the aeriel, and can tell what channel you are watching and where in a property the TV is located.

I have often thought that there would be a market for TV's that cannot work on the BBC channels as you would not need a license. Maybe I should go on Dragons Den and get them to back me.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    I have often thought that there would be a market for TV's that cannot work on the BBC channels as you would not need a license. Maybe I should go on Dragons Den and get them to back me.
    Afraid you would; the licence is for the reception of broadcast TV signals - the BBC is not mentioned anywhere.

While, theoretically, the licence fee pays for the BBC, the money simply goes into the treasury's coffers - from where the BBC is funded.

As said earlier, the licence fee is just another stream of taxation. The same as most things you are force to cough up for. Road Tax does not pay for the building and upkeep of roads (if it did we would have one of the best road systems in the world), Value Added Tax has nothing to do with value, etc.

<off stream> Why does my spell checker say etc. is misspelled, but offers etc. as a correction?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    apparently they detect a part of the signal that is given off when your TV converts the signal from the aeriel, and can tell what channel you are watching and where in a property the TV is located.
    ...or not?

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/1...that-tv-d.html

I would think the biggest tell is (as someone said) the retailer having to notify the sale of a set; that matched against licence holder records.

BTW. Licence enforcement officers (or whatever their title is) have no right of entry to your property - whatever they might try to lead you to believe.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

In the bad old days here, they used to just drive around at night, looking for the faint blue flickering glow!

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

In here we don’t have that problems or that much…
    If you like to watch regular programs or ‘’zillions’’ channels just call cable or satellite company and you ready to go but you will pay for that monthly…
    Or if you don’t like to watch or you can’t pay monthly that’s ok too…
    You can always buy DVD Player and hook up on TV and watch what you can buy or you have on DVD disc…but regular ‘’zillions’’ channel not….nothing is free…
    If you can’t either one options in that case you no need TV…
    In here we don’t have around officers for licenses or similar stuff to go around…is very simple: you like to watch you pay, you don’t like to watch or you can’t pay you will not watch…and life goes on….
    For Internet I don’t use for watching much because is not yet invented that big Comp monitors like for my TV for regular retail sales….I just like to see person on TV in full I mean in full size….
    But this is only me….right…....

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View PATRIOT73's Feedback (+173)
    All-About PATRIOT73
    View PATRIOT73's Listings
    Forum Posts

itll be interestin wen the paralimpiks start
    to see wat kinda coverage it gets v the limpiks i.e media etc
    why aint the paralimpiks on bbc instead of c4
    "WALKING IS DEFINITELY OVERRATED"

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

I thourougly enjoyed the olympics, loved the atmosphere in london, loved going up to the city, went to see both womans and mens marathons, people were so friendly to each other, was looking at a Map deciding how to get to somewhere when this American tourist came up and helped us out (did'nt have the heart to say that I knew where we was going) I thought that was just jolly decent of them.

Am well looking forward to the Para Olympics will be going up town again when its on and will try hard to get tickets,

Though I dont think they put much on the telly for me to watch when I did'nt want to watch the olympics, they even took off programmes that I love to watch, so was well dissapointed with the telly viewing.

As Jay say's will be interesting to see what coverage the paraolympics gets on the box.
    Last edited by shezz; 14th August 2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT73 View Post
    itll be interestin wen the paralimpiks start
    to see wat kinda coverage it gets v the limpiks i.e media etc
    why aint the paralimpiks on bbc instead of c4
    Channel 4 bid more about 3 million more than BBC, think BBC thought be no competition.

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View PATRIOT73's Feedback (+173)
    All-About PATRIOT73
    View PATRIOT73's Listings
    Forum Posts

atuva? why we had closin ceremony..........limpiks aint ova till next month
    "WALKING IS DEFINITELY OVERRATED"

Forum Master
    Penarth, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Salomina27's Feedback (+273)
    All-About Salomina27
    View Salomina27's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well over or not I dont have the problem with whether or not I need to pay for a tv license.
    I dont own a tv, most of my adult life have been that way and even as a child I used to prefer spending time away from tv drawing, making things, reading, writing listening to music and such.
    The one thing that really has got my back up in the past though is when I get hounded about a license even having them threatening to come to my house to 'check I havent got one' It really incenses me thay they automatically assume everyone owns a tv. I wrote them a pretty good letter a few years ago and they apologised to me then.
    I had a reminder letter again a few weeks ago (quite politely put still) saying as stated originally every two years they will have to keep reviewing my situation in case I now own a tv. They asked me to fill the online form in saying my circumstances havent changed, but even on there I noticed there is still a section that says they may call round to my house to check anytime, just what they say to everyone.
    Im sorry but Im not a criminal. I simply dont own a tv (I only watch one if Im visiting people sometimes) it does not give them the right to come into my private home as if I were guilty of something. This is supposed to be a free country and a democracy

Thread Information