Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Potential for power blackouts in less than 3 years

Default Potential for power blackouts in less than 3 years

(Reuters) - Britain faces a potential shortfall in electricity generation in the next three to four years, its power regulator said on Friday, due to the closure of coal and oil-fired plants to cut carbon emissions.

Ofgem also warned that uncertainty over the government's plans to revamp the electricity market meant it was unclear whether new, cleaner plants would be built to bridge the gap.

MORE
    Essentially, we have to close quite a few power stations within the next few years - some as soon as next year. Despite successive governments having promised to deal with this issue for almost two decades, not enough alternative power generation is in place to cover what will be lost. This means that it is quite likely that at some point we will see areas of the country either without power or being told to shut down high power usage locations (such as large factories).

These figures are based on what is happening now. We know that power stations will close and we know that very little is coming online to replace them. However, should any other problem join the mix, then things could go down hill a lot faster. If we have to close any extra power stations, have problems with the distribution grid or, for whatever reason, have the supply of power sent to us from Europe disrupted or stopped, then we will not have enough power for everyone.

It is not certain that there will be powercuts. Officials are saying that we may just have enough to deal with levels of demand that are currently predicted plus approximately 4% extra, but this doesn't leave much wiggle room for dealing with problems or extra demand. Should our weather continue to swing between too hot and too cold, demand may spike beyond what is available.

So those who want to plan ahead and haven't yet done so may wish to consider becomming a little more self sufficient in power generation. Solar panels - both fixed units that attach to your property and mobile units that can be deployed on demand - are a lot cheaper than they used to be. A simple solar system to provide lighting (and possibly more) can be bought for under £150 - and those pieces to make the system can be bought separately, so you don't need to find all the money in one chunk.

It seems likely that the longer we go on more and more people will see the need to buy up the items that you might need. Perhaps you should get in sooner rather than later and protect yourself and your family before demand outstrips availability?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Potential for power blackouts in less than 3 years

Yikes, that's a scary thought, but it wouldn't surprise me if we had the same issues over here. I'll never understand the resistance to natural energy myself, it's cleaner and better for the environment; if it only it were cheaper and more readily available, I'm betting a lot of other folks would jump on the bandwagon.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Lights out warning as SSE cuts its power generation

The danger of widespread power cuts in Britain mounted today when a leading energy producer warned it will reduce output by more than 15 per cent – enough electricity for 2 million people – over the next year.

SSE, the big-six energy provider, is cutting back or closing operations at five coal, gas and biomass-fired plants, including Ferrybridge in Yorkshire and Keadby in Lincolnshire, with the loss of 165 jobs. It blamed a new charge next month for emitting carbon, low profit margins and uncertainty around guaranteed payments to gas-fired power stations in the future.

MORE: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...n-8544946.html

This is combined with today's warning that the UK is running out of stored gas due to the sudden unexpected cold weather.

Energy prices will soar if Britain is forced to make up the shortfall by importing more liquefied natural gas from elsewhere, an energy expert has warned.

He added Britain would struggle to cope if a technical problem caused an unscheduled North Sea gas field to shut down.

Andrew Horstead, of the energy consultancy Utilyx. told the newspaper: "There is immense pressure on the existing infrastructure."
    http://news.sky.com/story/1068245/ga...ice-rise-fears

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Don't worry Damian we'll soon have enough oil to continue the job of destroying ourselves

http://science.time.com/2012/09/11/a...-rigs-move-in/

Blimey, I sound gloomy - I hope I cheer up soon

This is on the same day that the cost of imported gas spiked massively due to a fault on a major import line that was shut down for a few hours. Then Sellafield nuclear plant was shut down into "safe mode" due to problems with the weather, thereby removing a large amount of generating capacity from the National Grid.

Despite the government's continued assurances it seems that our energy situation is precarious at best. Those in charge are crossing their fingers and hoping that everything will be fine, but when faced by unexpected events such as the snow or supply failures, there doesn't seem to be a plan other than rolling blackouts.

Power supply is becoming less secure, yet prices are rocketing. The private companies are making hundreds of millions in profits and the average family are getting squeezed from all directions. Something has to change. . . . but what?

What can you do to ensure you and yours are safe and well when the system falls over?

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

I remember when I first joined eBid reading Damians posts about surviving various situations & also the amount of ridicule he received for it.
    I think at one time his "Location" was listed as"In the bunker" as a riposte to the naysayers!
    But seriously,how many of you have back up plans for such occurrences? I experienced the three day working week & subsequent power cuts & how ill equipped we were to deal with it.
    We rely too much on outside agencies.How many think nothing of turning their tap on in the morning to make a cuppa,what do you do when nothing happens?
    Phone the water company,hang on the phones not working.I know,I've got a bottle of water in the fridge.Funny that seems warmer than normal.Pour it into the kettle,why's that not working?
    Okay,I'll put it in a saucepan on the gas.What no gas?
    Humankind intuitively trust & have faith in,their leaders.Maybe it's now time to have more faith in yourself.

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post

But seriously,how many of you have back up plans for such occurrences? I experienced the three day working week & subsequent power cuts & how ill equipped we were to deal with it.
    We rely too much on outside agencies.How many think nothing of turning their tap on in the morning to make a cuppa,what do you do when nothing happens?
    Phone the water company,hang on the phones not working.I know,I've got a bottle of water in the fridge.Funny that seems warmer than normal.Pour it into the kettle,why's that not working?
    Humankind intuitively trust & have faith in,their leaders.Maybe it's now time to have more faith in yourself.
    Will we all become 'Preppers'?

While 99% of us may not be able to prepare adequately for armageddon , we can certainly prepare a little for extended power cuts.
    Have candles & matches stashed away, Get yourself a camping stove and a calor gas heater with supplies of bottled gas for a week or more.

A good stock of tinned food in your cupboard is also a good idea.

This is not in the avid preppers league by any means.

But they are 'sensible' suggestions.

Any more sensible suggestions?

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    I remember when I first joined eBid reading Damians posts about surviving various situations & also the amount of ridicule he received for it.
    I think at one time his "Location" was listed as"In the bunker" as a riposte to the naysayers!

i remember Damians thread i took part in it i also agreed and disagreed with some points

the biggest problem youl find when telling your power, water supplier is i wont be needing your services any more is they dont like like, they will hound you for a new address. "oh we cant finalise your last bill if we cant send it to you" ect ect they will do any thing they can to keep tabs on you .same with the phone people who when you tell them your moving dont like it will offer you huge discounts and mild threats for your new address. the above wont even give you a settelment figure over the phone even if you give them meter readings, its all about control and passing on what ever information they have about you to the next company.

how do i know all this for the last month ive provided my own power.water. internet connection nothing taken from a power supplier or any utillity

minus 5 today snow on the ground freezing east wind and im providing every thing for my self at much less cost than the above will charge you
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

A few years ago I worked with a South African who told us that back home they only had electricity for a certain number of hours a day. This was rostered so that people in each district knew when the power would be on and off. That apparently was caused by lack of foresight by the people in charge who chose to ignore vital maintainence, replacements and the fact that the systems needed expanding.

This just shows the short-sightedness of putting organisations in control whose only priority is to make money, with no thought about what will happen in the future. A big thanks to Maggie Thatcher.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    Will we all become 'Preppers'?

While 99% of us may not be able to prepare adequately for armageddon , we can certainly prepare a little for extended power cuts.
    Have candles & matches stashed away, Get yourself a camping stove and a calor gas heater with supplies of bottled gas for a week or more.
    A good stock of tinned food in your cupboard is also a good idea.
    This is not in the avid preppers league by any means.
    But they are 'sensible' suggestions.
    Any more sensible suggestions?
    There are a few good ideas in there.

The thing with lists for prepping is that each person must tailor the list for their own circumstances and needs.

Somebody with a good source of fuel and an open fireplace is unlikely to need extra heating from a calor gas fire. Such gas fires also put a lot of moisture into the air and can cause problems with condensation and/or mould. In addition, some housing association or local councils don't allow gas heating in their properties if a gas supply is not already offered.

In the event of a power cut leading to heating loss, alternatives to gas heating begin with simple things like cutting out drafts, closing doors and reducing your movements to a much smaller area of your property. It is far easier to keep just one or two rooms warm than the whole building. Consider moving everyone into the same room and bringing blankets, quilts or duvets for each. Create a "nest" for each person. Warm clothing can be supplemented by using bedsheets or even thick towels.

If you live in a property with high ceilings or double height rooms, consider closing off some of that height. It may be possible to stretch a sheet from wall to wall to create a false ceiling or, as strange as it sounds, consider using a pop-up camping tent or small marquee tent inside your property.

As a standard method of cutting your heating bills or in staying warm during a powercut, you should consider using a thermal curtain across any doors that lead to cold areas or rooms that are directly vented to the outside. Another curtain across the doorway of the room you intend to use most will help keep in any heat you create.

Camping stoves are a good idea if you do not have another source of energy for cooking. Remember that you cannot ever use camping stoves in an enclosed space. Only in well ventilated areas, and preferably outdoors, you can also use BBQ's. Never use BBQ's in enclosed spaces for either cooking or providing warmth. Almost an entire family died within the last year by using a BBQ pack as a source of heat in a tent.

Battery powered lanterns - with or without a winding mechanism - or chemical light sticks are a better alternative to using candles. During blackouts more people die in fire caused by using candles than in fires from any other source. Ordinary hand torches (flashlights) are easily available and cheap. Lights with straps that are designed to be worn on the head - headlights - are a lot easier to use as they allow you to have your hands free but still point the beam where ever you are looking. Torches with LEDs instead of the old fashioned bulbs will last longer and use less power, but the cheaper versions can fail without warning, so always have several available along with spare batteries.
    Remember the value of using mirrors to move light around the room and making it seem brighter.

Food stocks are a good idea no matter what event you are preparing for. Try to keep at least an extra week's worth. Stocks can be built up slowly by adding an extra tin or two to your weekly shop or by buying items on promotion. BOGOF offers are the favourite of preppers. Disregard the idea that you should only store high protein foods or foods of this or that specific type. Store the sort of foods that you normally eat. Regularly use what you have stored and replace it with new. If possible, try to choose foods that require less preparation and cooking or that can be eaten cold. Keep a number of "treats" in your supplies, especially if you have children. Maintaining as much normality as possible during difficult times will make it easier for children to cope.

If you do find yourself in a difficult situation, consider combining your resources with your trusted neighbours. You may not have enough to prepare complete meals individually, but when everyone adds a little the results can be great.

Normal, short term power cuts should not cause a problem with the water supply as the water companies will have back up generators of their own. In a planned power cut the water companies, like hospitals or other critical infrastructure, will still be supplied as normal. However, an unexpected and extended power cut will probably result in the loss of mains water after a few days. This can also be caused by times of flooding where pumping stations are inundated with flood water. People living at elevation - on hill tops or in blocks of flats - will lose supply before those lower down. You can live for weeks without food but you can only survive for around three days without water. Dehydration will begin to cause problems long before you actually die of thirst. Therefore consider storing a supply of fresh water that is suitable to the needs of everyone in the household. A minimum of two litres per person per day is needed just for drinking water - and at least double that if you live in a hot climate or are performing a lot of manual labour.

During a wide scale power cut normal life will be on hold. Things may become significantly more difficult. Online transactions will cease. ATM's and banks will not function. Petrol stations will close for fuel sales - no power means no pumps. All credit card validation will cease, so shopping may be impossible unless you use cash. Ordering goods will be almost impossible. Arranging deliveries will be the same. Stores may not be restocked for a significant length of time. We rely on electricity far more than most people realise.
    Last edited by damian_steele; 23rd March 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Thread Information