eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just was the target of a scam! Be cautious of this type of sale request

Forum Diehard
    View islandbuckman's Feedback (+192)
    All-About islandbuckman
    View islandbuckman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Exclamation I just was the target of a scam! Be cautious of this type of sale request

I was just a target of a scam. Please see the email I set to ebid. Be very careful about this type of scam. They targeted one of my more expensive items. Anything to do with Nigera is a scam.

Email sent to Ebid.

I received notification of a sale. Auction # 68502429. You have struck off the buyer. I just received the email (below). An obvious scam. Thanks you Ebid for your diligence in weeding out the scammers.

EMAIL I RECEIVED
    Dear Shawn Woodley,
    My name is Rev. Dr. Philip XXXXXXX from New York. My colleague, Rev. Dr. Tony XXXXXXX who travelled to Nigeria on 3 weeks missionary journey is celebrating his 43rd year birthday on the 17th of October 2012, and I just PURCHASE your Mens 10 Karat Gold Masonic Ring With Onyx Stone 1363O-MAS Black Hills Gold at the BuyNow Price of C$499.95 on www.ebid.net.
    Urgently send me your Paypal account information’s to enable me make the payment immediately for you to ship the item to him in Nigeria and also add the cost of the shipping to Nigeria to the C$499.95 price and then tell me the total price so that you will receive your payment immediately.

I am urgently waiting to receive your reply to make the payment.

Regards,
    Rev. Dr. M. XXXXXX.

Default Re: I just was the target of a scam! Be cautious of this type of sale request

Never, ever, touch anything to do with Nigeria. There is a pinned post on eBay re. this and everyone should be aware.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: I just was the target of a scam! Be cautious of this type of sale request

Thanks for the heads up. Good job sending the info. on to eBid and good for eBid in acting so promptly. WTG eBid!

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View poppyrowan's Feedback (+127)
    All-About poppyrowan
    View poppyrowan's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think they are capable of trying ANY scam, no matter how outlandish in the hope that someone will fall for it. I am glad you didn't

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

if the sale was genuine, why wouldn't they be able to complete it through ebid properly?

I am sure there are honest people in Nigeria (in fact they are probably having a nightmare being tarred with the brush of the scammers), just if you send anything for goodness sake send it tracked, even more so than usual, and make sure that it has all gone through the proper channels.
    Last edited by darklisruthven; 6th October 2012 at 04:43 PM.

They have been at this one for years, i thought they would have got fed up by now, surely people don't still fall for it.

View NuttyKrafts's Feedback (+644)
    All-About NuttyKrafts
    View NuttyKrafts's Listings
    Forum Posts

Whilst on the subject of scams, I have had TWO emails thIs week supposedly from PayPal for me paying 3 months subscription to Skype - £39.
    There is a link given for you to click if you did not authorise ths payment - I just forwarded spoof*paypal, if anyone else has received one, DON't click on any links! Forward it to PayPal if you can.
    * instead of the symbol for at - ddn't want to get the thread deleted!
    Last edited by NuttyKrafts; 6th October 2012 at 05:13 PM.
    Nutty by name, nutty by nature.
    /

Hand made items here

Bits and pieces here

Fund raising for L.O.R.O.S. here

Books and music for L.O.R.O.S. here

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyKrafts View Post
    Whilst on the subject of scams, I have had TWO emails thIs week supposedly from PayPal for me paying 3 months subscription to Skype - £39.
    There is a link given for you to click if you did not authorise ths payment - I just forwarded spoof*paypal, if anyone else has received one, DON't click on any links! Forward it to PayPal if you can.
    * instead of the symbol for at - ddn't want to get the thread deleted!
    Good one, thanks for the heads up.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Forum Newbie
    All-About pinkbarbie23
    View pinkbarbie23's Listings
    Forum Posts

This might be a stupid question, but I don't get the scam. If they asked you to send them a Paypal invoice how would that scam you? I send invoices after auctions end. I just don't get it, unless they are asking you for your pin number or password I don't get how that would work.

Thread Information