Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Buddy Points or More Advertising?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of the buddy points system and concentrate more on advertising.

14 41.18%
  • I want to keep on earning my buddy points & purchase items when I have saved enough points.

17 50.00%
  • I don't care either way.

3 8.82%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Buddy points V Advertising

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Buddy points V Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    A few test questions:

Code used to edit new auction, by pasting code in after description. Looked great & blended with eBid's design nicely. However, browser address looks more like "old buddy point code addy". Should I be seeing the new code in the browser or is what I am seeing ok? How do you check to make sure that "new code" is in effect?

I right clicked on link in new auction, and selected properties; it showed the new code. So pasting to listing works fine.

Added new code at the end of my default description (general tab). Tried to start a brand new auction, but the code remained in HTML and the previously stored Advanced WYSIWYG portion of the description, was in plain text. I closed the auction. I tried changing the option to "HTML" after entering specifics for the auction description above my default description information. Not sure what went wrong here.

I wanted to add the "new code" into my About Me Page and My Forum Signature. Do I need to do that? If so, what is the best approach?
    Great, was able to change to new code in my "About Me Page" and "My Forum Siggy" by only adding new buddy code. This was harder for me than it sounds. When I first did my forum signature, it was via "Control Panel" now I accessed it via "Notifications/Settings". I had to do a bit of pecking around to find it.

Default area, for starting new auctions, still a question mark. Will wait for advice on "best approach" because I do not want to mush things.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

Vidahost were moving servers, I wonder if that was the problem? I'm not seeing a timeout here,
    or any corruption for that matter, what browser were you viewing it in?
    OK, I'm seeing images now. Must have been just bad timing when I looked.

The 'corruption' has gone also; must have been due to seeing the alt text for the missing images at the bottom of the template.
    Last edited by astral276; 17th October 2012 at 05:42 PM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

That's why I used an image as a banner & not a plain text link, as google s is supposed to ignore image links.
    I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you meant you had been using a textual link with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    Oh, it's a banner is it! I had a look at some of your listings and thought it might work well. The only thing is your pages are very pretty and the banner matches them. I can't help thinking you should change it so that it clashes with the rest of the page. It doesn't stand out much at the moment.
    Thanks Kedo,I must admit I use an images for things like terms etc in all my listings, that way I don't have to worry if google changes things again, plus I can change all my listings in one go, by replacing the old image with a new one.

I'm considering a revamp anyway, it's one of those jobs that somehow keeps slipping down the To Do List,
    so I might try a more contrasting banner.

The easiest way to do a banner is to write what you want, then need to do a screenshot of it, you can then crop it to size & edit it in an image program, save it as a png/gif or jpg & upload it to somewhere like snapagogo. Add a link to the image to your listings, & use your buddy link to make it clickable.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just a general question. Can anyone tell me how to add this code to the auction description via the bulk edit and not have the system add in the "Added by the seller on bla bla" text? This is what I get - http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/large-oi...h-69491994.htm

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Nobody got an answer for me?

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

You can't.
    If you don't want the Added by seller thingamebobble then you have to edit all your listings one at a time.

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    You can't.
    If you don't want the Added by seller thingamebobble then you have to edit all your listings one at a time.
    I was afraid that might be the case. Rather limits the usefulness of bulk edit doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    Just a general question. Can anyone tell me how to add this code to the auction description via the bulk edit and not have the system add in the "Added by the seller on bla bla" text? This is what I get - http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/large-oi...h-69491994.htm
    You can do it,
    but I'm not sure if it would save much time, you will need to bulk edit again using replace.
    Put the HTML for the added by bla (example below) in the top box
    Code:
    <P><B> Added by the Seller on Thu 18 Oct 2012 05:10:27  (BST)</B></P>
    & leave the bottom box blank.

The problem is the time changes every few edits, & I couldn't get it to work using wildcards for the whole time,
    I haven't tried using the wildcard for just the last second or two.

You might be better off either using the spreadsheet to add Jimbo's code,
    or using bulk edit to add it,
    & then the spreadsheet to remove the bla, although I think Astral would be a better person to ask than me, as I've not used the spreadsheet.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 18th October 2012 at 05:52 AM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Finally finished editing all current listings with the new buddy code. It's times like this that one is glad to have small number of listings. Once a bulk edit is done, it takes under a minute to edit and check a listing. If you have a small number of listings, no problem. I have about 295 listings, so that took about 5 hours. If you have thousands and thousands of listings, I do not envy you at this time, maybe later.

So my listings, forum signature, and About Me Page have been updated. However, a most important update still needed for Default, so new auctions will automatically contain the updated information. Will work on that after some rest.

Thread Information