My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Income Tax Help

Unhappy Income Tax Help

A friends son has been issued with an income tax bill of £4,000. He has worked all his life and paid paye. There may have been some short interludes with out work but he has not claimed benefits and did not work on the side. This relates to 2000 to 2002. He has been to the tax office several times but they are neither use nor ornament. He took the relevant paper work into them p45's or whatever and these were sent somewhere. Black hole maybe. They did not furnish him with or take photocopies so now he has no proof for these years because of the clever revenue and customs. Since all this has been going on he has not been told that this has to stand and he has no appeal. Can anybody suggest what he can do next?

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Income Tax Help

I suggest he writes to the Inland Revenue requesting copies of their documentation showing that he owes this money as he disputes it. (and pointing out that he has already given them the necessary information to show that he does not owe this money which they now appear to have mislaid.)
    Everything needs to be in writing.

Think its too late for Inland Revenue to claim un paid tax , as a self employed person they say i must keep all paperwork 6 years,so they cant expect anyone to keep 10 year old records.
    First point of call for me would be Citezens Advice Office, then your local MPS next Surgery.

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

It may be worth calling or dropping a line to the financial ombudsman.

Forum Saint
    View RonOne's Feedback (+4296)
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

In all correspondence.

KEEP A COPY

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

You all must be aware as it was big news on the the news about HMRC reclaiming money owed to them,

They will claim that it is not the HMRC responsibility to check tax codes but the individual themselfs, many have been sent bills from them where they have had to pay back thousands, even though they did pay tax through paye, they will say that if the tax code was wrong then the individual should contact them to say so

will get you a link that you should read brb

you should read this

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...o-avoid-paying--

I would deffo question it if it goes back to 2000-2002, you only have to keep HMRC records for 6/7 years, so I think ( but would ask an expert ) if they can actually go back that far, (if it was for something serious like fraud ect I know they can)

go into the forum on the money man site and ask in there, there are some really good people in there that would know a lot about it then me then the likes of you an me
    Last edited by shezz; 3rd November 2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Thread Information