eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shipping and handling charges

Forum Newbie
    All-About vally18
    View vally18's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Shipping and handling charges

Hi there...New to this so I apologize if my question seems dumb...
    When I list my items to sell, how do i determine what the item's shipping cost will be to include this information in the listing?
    ie. I find the items I want to sell and bring them home (home based), the items will vary in size and weight...I have to list them on the website and include the amount that will be charged for shipping...do I need to run to the post office (or FedEx or UPS...) twice? once to have them tell me what the shipping cost will be so that I know what to put on the listing...and then, assuming it sells, make a second trip to actually send the item to the buyer? The expense and time doing this would seem kind of crazy....what am I missing?
    Again, sorry if my question seems silly, but I truly am stumped here.

Default Re: Shipping and handling charges

Your local post office should be able to give you a list outlining the prices for different weights, sizes and types of package.
    You may also be able to find this information on the website for your local postal agency.
    Once you have that information you can work out the cost without leaving home.

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Most of these places have websites you can visit to view weights/prices online. You can also get hold of wall charts containing such information.

I would recommend you invest in a decent set of scales, especially scales that can weigh items up to 2,000g/2kg as under this weight is popular with the majority of items sold online. You can go for scales that weight between 3,000g to 5,000g, but the expense of such scales is unnecessary if 99% of your items will be under 2000g.

If you do have the odd item that weighs too much for your scales, then any scales in your bathroom will help you get the weight, if you have any bathroom scales that is (I do not lol).

We are a professional business and we own a set of scales and we use that in combination with software from the postal service, it guarantees acurate weights/prices for shipping.

Always weigh items including any and all packaging materials you intend to use as just a few grams can push you into the next weight bracket increasing the cost of shipping.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Forum Newbie
    All-About vally18
    View vally18's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you so very much Damian. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
    I couldn't imagine that my post office would sit there weighing item after item just to give me an initial quote...me leaving...and then reappearing who knows when at a later date to send off said item to the buyer. All the time would take me not to mention the gas expense. I'm very grateful for your help.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I believe eBid have a shipping calculator as well.

Forum Newbie
    All-About vally18
    View vally18's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rokins_toys View Post
    Most of these places have websites you can visit to view weights/prices online. You can also get hold of wall charts containing such information.

I would recommend you invest in a decent set of scales, especially scales that can weigh items up to 2,000g/2kg as under this weight is popular with the majority of items sold online. You can go for scales that weight between 3,000g to 5,000g, but the expense of such scales is unnecessary if 99% of your items will be under 2000g.

If you do have the odd item that weighs too much for your scales, then any scales in your bathroom will help you get the weight, if you have any bathroom scales that is (I do not lol).

We are a professional business and we own a set of scales and we use that in combination with software from the postal service, it guarantees acurate weights/prices for shipping.

Always weigh items including any and all packaging materials you intend to use as just a few grams can push you into the next weight bracket increasing the cost of shipping.
    Thank you LeeJo, this makes so much more sense now. Your information is so helpful. I'll go looking for a set of proper scales promptly. (Sadly, I do have a bathroom scale, which I've had to use way way too much...and for nothing business related unfortunately! lol)
    I'll also check with the post office regarding the software that you mentioned.
    Again, many thanks.

Forum Newbie
    All-About vally18
    View vally18's Listings
    Forum Posts

I haven't found it yet but I'll keep looking. Thanks so much for your help.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vally18 View Post
    I haven't found it yet but I'll keep looking. Thanks so much for your help.
    Try the Canada Post websites calculator.

I see that bluebedouin beat me to it and posted Canada Post's website address.

The post office also has a "Postal Prices" paper pamphlet dated July 2012, that gives you an overview of prices and guidelines.

I've never used eBid's shipping calculator and don't know if there are any other Canadians on the forums who have opinions on it.

Welcome to eBid.

:-)

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

What Blue and FirstGreen said. Oh and welcome to eBid.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Thread Information