eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PayPal Green Dot MoneyPak

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default PayPal Green Dot MoneyPak

I don't know if this is worldwide, but in the U.S., PP supposedly allows clients to use Green Dot MoneyPak deposits into PP balances. I bought one with hard cash (and paid the rather hefty fee) and successfully got it dumped into my PP balance several days ago.

I did this because it affects my balance immediately, unlike the usual five business days a transfer from my bank takes...another unreasonable timeframe but that's another story. I want to do some online Christmas shopping and time is running out.

However, today PP is haranguing me that they need more identification from me. They want a government-issued photo ID, a proof of address from a utility bill, or a copy of my social security card. I have been using PP at least ten years and have never been accused of anything underhanded.

I'm feeling very violated. The purpose of Paypal is to avoid giving your information to anonymous dataminers. They are threatening to restrict my account if I don't comply within 14 days.

Not sure I expect any help in avoiding this, although I'd certainly welcome it. I'm only posting this as both a whine and a warning. It really doesn't seem fair that PP advertises Green Dot as a source of funds without making it clear that they will be demanding more snoopy identifications than they already have.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: PayPal Green Dot MoneyPak

never heard of green dot.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

They've handled several hundred thousand dollars of my money, over a number of years, with no problems, but want to do a credit check before giving me a card that I can withdraw my money with
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Never heard of geen dot. And from a legal point of view, and my understanding of it, paypal have no right to ask let alone access your social security information, they are not a bank. You should seek advice from your country's financial regulator on the matter, get them to investiage paypal and never give your social security information to companies that do not need it. Paypal need to learn their place and stop enforcing silly policies on people, policies which are more than often these days, extremely unfair and go against/contradict government legislation/bills. The more you can get financial regulators to investiage the stupidness of paypal policies the better for us all at the end of the day. Paypal can legally request ID from you, but that only extends to the basics of drivers license, utility bills to prove you are who you say you are, it helps prevent ID theft and fraud, but they have no legal right to ask for nor access your social security information, as above, they are not a bank or any other business/organisation/government dept that would require such information. So contact yor financial regulator and cite ridiculous terms and conditions, unfair policies etc and more importantly, requesting social security information that are not legally allowed to have let alone look at.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

The SSN is required for reporting to the IRS and DHS
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will drag my feet a while and maybe write to my state's attorney general. I might scan my driver's license for PP because the photo was taken many years ago and I don't look much like that any more but everything else on it is accurate. i HATE anonymous snoops who don't have the courtesy to give me their equivalent personal information. I bet most of them are creeps and i don't trust them to guard my privacy. They "value" it at the price they can get selling it.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've never heard of Green Dot whatever. I do believe PayPal can require that you furnish either your Social Security Number or Taxpayer ID number though.

You can thank 9/11 for that.
    It's some new regulations that Paypal must comply with.

Not to mention for some of us oldsters, our old birth certificates are no longer valid (The ORIGINAL copy issued at birth with my own dang footprints inked to it, signed by Dr. and Hospital and notarized is *no longer valid* and Must *BUY* a new "official" State certified birth certificate for purposes where one is needed (I.E. Driver License, etc.) )
    It isn't just Paypal.. almost everywhere that deals in money transfers now requires multiple forms of identification (Money Laundering laws, Anti-Terrorism Laws, Banking Laws.. you name it..) the "Gummint" just wants to document us to death... and you wonder why Identity theft has become so easy..
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Idealproductsales View Post
    Not to mention for some of us oldsters, our old birth certificates are no longer valid (The ORIGINAL copy issued at birth with my own dang footprints inked to it, signed by Dr. and Hospital and notarized is *no longer valid* and Must *BUY* a new "official" State certified birth certificate for purposes where one is needed (I.E. Driver License, etc.) )
    Wow! That's outrageous. You can be born only once, for pity's sake. How are you supposed to go about proving you were born where you say and when you say you were born? Makes my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAda View Post
    Wow! That's outrageous. You can be born only once, for pity's sake. How are you supposed to go about proving you were born where you say and when you say you were born? Makes my head hurt.
    Yup.. or worse yet.. you could quite literally, if you were able to obtain the needed information, get an official birth certificate for SOMEONE ELSE.. without ever meeting a real person face to face.... and if you were to come by possession of that document, whats to stop you from passing yourself off as this other person..? So much for improving security of identities... Geez.. after going through the process of getting mine (and a friend getting one for one of their kids), I'm even more worried than ever, if that is some government agency's idea of "Improved Security"
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Thread Information