Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sellers be aware of the latest

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default sellers be aware of the latest

I have had this happen twice in a few weeks, with two new buyers, and totally different items, so I guess it is a new scam going the rounds.

Now everything I sell is checked/ tested before listing, and then again when sent.
    In two cases, one with a load of DVD films, and one with a phone & charger, the buyers have claimed the items don't work, and wanted a refund, without returning the items . In the first case, the buyer stated in their email "I want a refund, no questions, just refund. no I am not returning them."
    and the second (the phone) wanted a refund claiming the phone didn't work, and I said I was sorry, I had tested it before sending, had they double-checked, tried charging, put a SIM in, etc, if none of that worked then please return it and I would give a refund within a few hours of getting it back - instantly, within minutes, they said they had found another charger that worked (interesting, considering I had tested all before sending, and only had the one compatible charger anyway, and this was a rare - for the UK- phone model so one is unlikely to have a compatible charger laying around, I would venture to say...) and that the phone was now working so clearly backing out of returning for refund. They left a negative saying not working though. (reported to ebid admins)

Now in any shop, or anything, you cant walk in, say and you want a refund for something without bringing the item back. I know that these items were certainly not faulty when they left my hands, and were appropriately packed. Granted some accident might happen in the post I guess, but then the same applies, I would have thought.
    The once time I bought something online, and was not happy with it - I had no problem with returning the item to the seller, who also had no problem with the refund as long as the item was returned... and all went through reasonably.

It just seems interesting that this has surfaced recently twice over. Both times with new buyers (though I am still not blocking new buyers from my listings, I have a lot of new buyers and most are fine) I have been selling here for a reasonable while now, and on ebay since 2003, and not seen this apparent scam, until this winter.

I am not sure about seller protection on this one, other than responding truthfully to any negs received (something like "tested, working when sent. Offered buyer refund if item returned, buyer refused to return" or words to that effect,) leaving appropriate feedback (at least here, you can. I almost never leave negs, but this is an exception!) and reporting to admin.

Default Re: sellers be aware of the latest

Just before I shut up shop on here I had a sale where my customer (a newcomer) did the same to me, claimed the item was damaged and wanted a full refund. I pointed out my terms and conditions and promised a full refund once the item was returned to me and wouldn't budge. Never heard anything else from them

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Darklisruthven didn't you post this or a very similar story on here a few weeks ago. There must be something seriously wrong if you keep getting these things happening to you.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Master
    All-About darklisruthven
    Forum Posts

Ever so sorry to hear you had the same experience, Fleet. I must say I reported it all to ebid, with accompanying evidence etc, and it was all speedily dealt with by admin within a couple of hours, today, going to show that overall, ebid is a much safer platform.

And frankly if there was a problem, and the "buyers" actually wanted a refund legitimately, they would have returned it. I would, anyway.

Forum Master
    All-About darklisruthven
    Forum Posts

@Tony - the DVDs was the first one I posted about the other week, the phone incident was today (dealt with by admin now).

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

There is an article on Auctionbytes about the other place refunding such a buyer and then not even charging the seller. If it is happening there it is no wonder that it is being tried on here.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Master
    All-About darklisruthven
    Forum Posts

There is an article on Auctionbytes about the other place refunding such a buyer and then not even charging the seller. If it is happening there it is no wonder that it is being tried on here.
    Really? aha. I wondered if there was something like that going on - as in, something to spark this stuff off.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wow Dark, that sucks. Glad admin. took care of this for you and that eBid looks out for its good sellers.

Never had to return anything yet, knock wood, but if I did want a refund (as the item was faulty) that's how I'd approach it, by returning the item first. Doesn't sound like yours was faulty if it worked when you sold it and again after the buyer got it.

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 23rd January 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Forum Master
    All-About darklisruthven
    Forum Posts

@madeleine - just did a bit of curious research - I am at home today as not too well, and so had the time... The amount of online tutorials for how to diddle sellers from the other side is unreal - some even in fleabays own forums *boggle* ! Yes, this did show up in a couple of newer "tutorials" as a possible diddle. I guess it follows that they are trying it over here.

@Suesjools - I was so grateful to ebid for sorting it out. Shows again that in the final analysis, ebid is the safer selling platform!

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darklisruthven View Post
    @madeleine - just did a bit of curious research - I am at home today as not too well, and so had the time... The amount of online tutorials for how to diddle sellers from the other side is unreal - some even in fleabays own forums *boggle* ! Yes, this did show up in a couple of newer "tutorials" as a possible diddle. I guess it follows that they are trying it over here.

@Suesjools - I was so grateful to ebid for sorting it out. Shows again that in the final analysis, ebid is the safer selling platform!
    Wow, that kind of stuff in Feepay's own forums is a real shocker! I'm surprised they don't take it down, (guess they don't monitor the forums too much over there).

Yes, eBid is the BEST, bar none, when it comes to taking care of its members.

Dark hope you're feeling better soon.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Thread Information