Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do we pay for this?

Default Why do we pay for this?

Not my choice, but wife watches embarassing fat bodies on TV. Just featured is a 40 stone man who is munching his way through 6,000 calories a day. It is his life, his body, so if he wants to die before the age of 40 or whenever then that is his choice. What did get my blood boiling however is the fact that as he cannot do everything for himself he has a 'carer'. The first thing they showed this carer doing was frying up a large pan of steak. While doing so she said that within about 10 minutes he would be hungry again. That is not 'caring' for somebody, it iis more like assisted suicide, and we are paying for it through taxes! like I said, If these people want to kill themselves then that is up to them, but I do not think that we should be paying somebody to do it. And if he is unfit for work then how can he afford all the food?

Default Re: Why do we pay for this?

Despite the laments of the perpetually skinny, it is not as simple as blaming the fat for stuffing their faces. Very often larger people do have medical reasons for being overweight. More often still it is seen in larger people that the chemical signals which tell the brain the person is full and has had enoough to eat do not work properly. People are often over-eating simply because they don't feel satisfied. In addition to these problems are the ingredients used in the majority of processed foods; certain synthetic sugars produce an effect which can be likened to the cravings of smokers. Essentially the food has been designed to be "more-ish" and whilst this isn't illegal or directly dangerous, it does cause some over eating problems.

HOWEVER, I am not trying to excuse all over eaters. Some people don't even try to help themselves and will continue to eat cr@p food. By that I mean processed foods, junk foods and so-called fast foods. In short, almost anything you can buy in a McD's, BKing, KFC, PizzaStore or similar outlet along with processed pre-packaged foods from shops.

Part of the reason for people eating so much junk food is that people think they don't know how to cook or don't have enough time to cook. The truth is that many simple, relatively healthy meals can be cooked easily and quickly. Unfortunately so many people wouldn't know where to start, don't have the confidence to try and have been convinced by decades of advertising that they don't need to attempt it.

In addition, the problems faced by overweight people increase as they get heavier. It becomes harder to exercise, harder to stand, walk, shop or do almost anything. It takes a huge amount of increased effort to perform tasks that thinner people do without thinking; cooking, shopping, standing in line etc etc etc. Larger people suffer from a lack of energy - in much the same way as those who undereat can become lethargic - and it is often the same root problem that is to blame: a lack of nutritious food. So the reality is that larger people will then take the easy route and order junk food or use prepared, processed foodstuffs simply because they are easier to obtain and consume. The "laziness" that the obese are so often accused of is often a symptom of the illness, not the choice of the individual.

I believe that Government should take a firmer role with the food industry and make it illegal to include many of the more harmful substances in our foods. Instead of funding so many measures for dealing with the results of obesity related illnesses, they should spend more on preventative measures such as ensuring that ALL school children are taught the basics of how to shop, how to cook and how to choose healthy foods.
    Last edited by damian_steele; 28th January 2013 at 11:05 PM.

Damian

You do make some valid points.

What annoyed me a little, well more than a little, is that in this case, and I am sure many others, we are paying for assistance being given, but that assistance is doing nobody any good. The overweight person will stay that way, the NHS will continue to treat ailments caused by the excess weight, the carer will continue to be paid, the person will remain in no state to work or play any meaningful part in society. Why are these carers not providing healthy meals, or at least reducing the amount given over a period of time. Instead it would appear that they are acting as personal fast food chefs.

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    Damian

You do make some valid points.

What annoyed me a little, well more than a little, is that in this case, and I am sure many others, we are paying for assistance being given, but that assistance is doing nobody any good. The overweight person will stay that way, the NHS will continue to treat ailments caused by the excess weight, the carer will continue to be paid, the person will remain in no state to work or play any meaningful part in society. Why are these carers not providing healthy meals, or at least reducing the amount given over a period of time. Instead it would appear that they are acting as personal fast food chefs.
    It's probably because they are not nutritionists. I expect that they are told to prepare whatever their "client" tells them to. It's not their job to decide what a client can or can't have and it's not their job to advise on the nutritional value of foods.

Unless the government choose to intervene and pay for qualified people to cover the range of skills necessary in providing support for these people or provide a group of people with the appropriate skills between them, then I can't see the situation changing in the immediate future.

Longer term if they provide the means to educated people in the full range of skills necessary to enable the public to choose a healthier llifestyle and encourage the supermarkets to provide healthier foods at a lower price, then the situation may improve over the next few decades. But there is the problem. Our governments tend to think in terms of four or five years - just long enough to get them through to the next election. They don't put schemes in place that will only pay off after they have left office - not unless those schemes are also making millions of pounds for them or their cronies. IMO.
    Last edited by damian_steele; 28th January 2013 at 10:54 PM.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't want to be too un PC.
    But imho there are VERY few people (if any) who have a medical reason for their obesity.
    They just eat too much (and excercie too little)

As a New Zealand tax payer(we have them here as well of course) I also resent paying extra taxes for knee operations for them and for gastric stapling for them and for hospitals having to buy bigger beds and bigger operating tables and bigger ambulances.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I don't want to be too un PC.
    But imho there are VERY few people (if any) who have a medical reason for their obesity.
    They just eat too much (and excercie too little)
    I tend to make sure I have corroborated research results to back up an opinion on a subject as complicated as this one.

I have met many people who have medical reasons for finding it difficult to maintain a healthy weight.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I tend to make sure I have corroborated research results to back up an opinion on a subject as complicated as this one.

I have met many people who have medical reasons for finding it difficult to maintain a healthy weight.
    Ok so give us some proof, or are you just taking their word for it.

Give me 6 months with them and I;ll get their weight down.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I won't replying to you on this subject again...I think it is unfair to bear arms when in combat with the unarmed.

Yes, you may well help them to lose weight, but will you also equip them with the knowledge and skills to enable them to keep their weight down and live healthily? Will you help them change their circumstances so that the triggers for their problem are dealt with or avoided? Will you somehow remove the societal pressures and difficulties than can be as much a cause of the problem as choice?

Or are you simply yet another sidelines viewer who thinks it's all as simple as eating less and exercising more?

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

eating disorder are a well known fact try googling eating disorders
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Thread Information