My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Question for those on Virgin Media

Default Question for those on Virgin Media

I've just been wrangling with VM to change my package & save some money.

I've managed to save about £20 a month by downgrading my phone package,
    downgrading my TV package (I'll only lose 1 channel I actually watch on the odd occasion),
    but I'll gain a Tivo box which I don't currently have,
    & they will upgrade my broadband to 30Mb

Because of the upgrade I'll have a Super Hub instead of my current modem.

Do the engineers need access to the cable point of entry on the property to do the upgrade,
    or just the existing TV Box & Modem?

I'm hoping it's the latter as the point of entry is behind a large heavy bookcase which is fixed to the wall, so I don't want to move it unless I really have to.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Default Re: Question for those on Virgin Media

I upgraded my 'phone package and they just did that with a 'phone call. Should imagine the same would happen with Broadband - don't see why they would need access to your cable.

Re. the Tivo box - when ours was installed, they made sure it was okay before they left. Probably no need to do that. In any case, they put the HDMI connection in the wrong thingy. Son just swopped it around and all is fine. Really pleased with the Tivo.

Thanks
    If it's just the modem & box end of the internal cables that's fine,
    I changed the modem myself when that was upgraded last.
    I've a vague recollection that when Telewest changed the analogue box for the digital
    they needed to do something at the point of access, that's why I thought I'd check
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1958)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

The engineer comes and changes the modem - they would not let us do it ourselves.

The engineer set it for the optimum setting and everything has been fine.

We've just cancelled the film channels as we found we were not watching them and that has saved a bit of money.

Quote Originally Posted by gbsbks2010 View Post
    The engineer comes and changes the modem - they would not let us do it ourselves.

The engineer set it for the optimum setting and everything has been fine.

We've just cancelled the film channels as we found we were not watching them and that has saved a bit of money.
    I phoned & told them it was too expensive so I had to cut back, & they offered to cut £7 a month off without me making any changes at all.

Mentioning offers that BT or Sky have can also get them to offer to price match, that has worked a couple of times in the past, especially if you say you are thinking of switching.

They said that the upgrade to Super Hub & the Tivo box was 2 installations & only 1 was free, so would cost me £49.99 so I argued the point that it was being done at the same time so was only 1 installation,
    eventually I got her to give me a 50% reduction on that.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 29th January 2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

When I upgraded my phone package, I just happened to say that I wasn't happy with the number of times I was unable to get Catchup TV, and they credited my account with £15.

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    When I upgraded my phone package, I just happened to say that I wasn't happy with the number of times I was unable to get Catchup TV, and they credited my account with £15.
    Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've been with virgin for years, I have the Tivo box but dont think I use it to it's full potential, so soon I'm giving up virgin, may keep the phone and Internet will look into that later, I'm going to get the free Sat, that brings you over 150 channels (not that you use them all same as virgin loads of channelsi dont watch on their as well) best of all it has no monthly subscription. will save me I hope at least 50..00pm
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Quote Originally Posted by shezz View Post
    I've been with virgin for years, I have the Tivo box but dont think I use it to it's full potential, so soon I'm giving up virgin, may keep the phone and Internet will look into that later, I'm going to get the free Sat, that brings you over 150 channels (not that you use them all same as virgin loads of channelsi dont watch on their as well) best of all it has no monthly subscription. will save me I hope at least 50..00pm
    I found the new comparison site broadbandchoices is the best for comparing, as most of the others only compare broadband or broadband/phone or broadband/tv but not all 3.

Most of the current offers seem to be ending in the next few days, I think price hikes are on the cards,
    if you only want bb/phone tescos are currently the cheapest for my postcode area but of course you need a BT phone line,

Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you Goth will deffinately check the site out to see what is on offer,

At the mo I'm on 100mg soon to be upgraded to 120mg (son does gaming online and pays a percentage to it) I believe that Virgin is the only company that offers that,
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Thread Information