Thread: Dog microchipping in UK by 2016 or pay fine

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Dog microchipping in UK by 2016 or pay fine

Default Re: Dog microchipping in UK by 2016 or pay fine

applies to England and Wales only, Northern Ireland also has it in place at the moment.

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

From Guide Dogs UK

Dear Yvonne,

I am delighted to update you with some fantastic news for our ‘Dog Attacks’ campaign. Today the Government in Westminster has announced its plans to introduce compulsory microchipping for all dogs in England by April 2016.

This is very welcome news for us here at Guide Dogs as it represents an important step in tackling the irresponsible dog ownership which has led to eight of our guide dogs a month being attacked by other dogs.

This result would not have happened if it wasn’t for supporters like you taking time to write to your MP about this campaign. Thanks to your support we can keep our guide dogs and puppies in training safer so they can continue to do the life changing work they do every day.

Thank you once again for helping us secure this result, which is a major milestone in our Dog Attacks campaign. You can always find out more about how you can help us with our campaigning work on this and other important issues on our webpages.

James White
    Campaigns Manager

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is excellent news!

Other excellent news is that we may be taking on a retiring guide dog. I've passed the owner's selection tests. Algie passed them yesterday by being perfectly happy to go out for a walk with the guide dog. Fingers crossed for the rest.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

So the animal charities had better start planning now for the massive influx of unwanted animals that they will see as this comes in. For the first year or two I expect to see large numbers of dogs dumped in the streets or left at animal charities by people who either don't want to or can't afford the cost of chipping and registration. More so if the registration costs are on-going.

What I would like to see is the cost absorbed by animal insurance companies as a condition of giving cover.

The government are trumpeting this as a method of cutting down on dangerous dogs. Personally I doubt that it will make any difference to that as the owners of such dogs are already breaking the law, why would they suddenly comply with this one, particularly if by getting them chipped they could be supplying the information that would get them prosecuted.

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

I think you are probably right about the increase in unwanted dogs, but, with luck, it will be a blip.

Those who keep dangerous dogs will be more easily identified, if they are chipped, and, if not, will be prosecutable before the offence instead of afterwards.

Compulsory chipping will not solve every problem but nothing ever does.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    So the animal charities had better start planning now for the massive influx of unwanted animals that they will see as this comes in. For the first year or two I expect to see large numbers of dogs dumped in the streets or left at animal charities by people who either don't want to or can't afford the cost of chipping and registration. More so if the registration costs are on-going.

What I would like to see is the cost absorbed by animal insurance companies as a condition of giving cover.

The government are trumpeting this as a method of cutting down on dangerous dogs. Personally I doubt that it will make any difference to that as the owners of such dogs are already breaking the law, why would they suddenly comply with this one, particularly if by getting them chipped they could be supplying the information that would get them prosecuted.
    The Blue Cross are providing Free Microchipping for both dogs & cats at their 16 centres & hospitals.
    Battersea are providing Free Microchipping at their 3 centres too
    Dogs Trust are providing Free Microchipping at all of their 18 centres, plus are giving free microchips to local authorities, housing associations and veterinary surgeries.
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2013/02...ogs-microchip/

It's not the answer to all the problems of stray & abandoned dogs, but hopefully it's a start, if they enforce it.
    Owners will have to register the details of any new owner before they sell or give the dog away. Any owner will have to keep their contact details up to date on the microchip databases.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View maplegin's Feedback (+1177)
    All-About maplegin
    View maplegin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes we are still waiting for rex'x adoption papers to to register his chip we have been in touch with them but are awaiting paper work from the rescue centre, hopefully the micro chipping of all dogs will help re unite dogs with there owners.

Madeline hope you will successfully adopt another dog I assume they are getting pass being able to guide anymore.

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

Yes, the guide dog in question has handed in his notice by walking very slowly when working even though he moves quite normally when off duty.

He is 9 so hardly a puppy.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post
    From Guide Dogs UK

Dear Yvonne,

I am delighted to update you with some fantastic news for our ‘Dog Attacks’ campaign. Today the Government in Westminster has announced its plans to introduce compulsory microchipping for all dogs in England by April 2016.

This is very welcome news for us here at Guide Dogs as it represents an important step in tackling the irresponsible dog ownership which has led to eight of our guide dogs a month being attacked by other dogs.

This result would not have happened if it wasn’t for supporters like you taking time to write to your MP about this campaign. Thanks to your support we can keep our guide dogs and puppies in training safer so they can continue to do the life changing work they do every day.

Thank you once again for helping us secure this result, which is a major milestone in our Dog Attacks campaign. You can always find out more about how you can help us with our campaigning work on this and other important issues on our webpages.

James White
    Campaigns Manager
    Mr james white failed to point out this was a campaign for them in the know only such a move should of been made public to the effect it could not of been missed by all dog owners responceable or not and all dog owners given the chance to have there say. undemocratic lobbied for by self interested groups
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Thread Information