Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Links..........?

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Links..........?

What kind of links are permitted on eBid?

E-commerce/Websites [NO]

Informational [YES]

Blogs (informational) [YES]

Blogs (Monetized) [?]

Affiliate Links [?]

Catalog Product Stream [?]

Other [?]

Seems to be alot of gray areas here. How effectively is this issue monitored and enforced by eBid?

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Links..........?

Found an old thread asking this same question about links..........seems there were gray areas there also.

Attached link here ) http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...nking-Policies

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Found an old thread asking this same question about links..........seems there were gray areas there also.

Attached link here ) http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...nking-Policies

I think there will always be grey areas...... I regard any link that goes to a page which then has links to other e-commerce sites as reportable. So either a direct e-commerce link or indirect e-commerce link (via a blog for example) is the same.

I will say that the e-commerce links in descriptions is much more proactively managed than it used to be. The postcard section alone had over 50,000 listings with links to other sites in 2011 when I started to be proactive in selling here - with those links removed soon after the postcard market on eBid started to prosper much better rather than act as a referral to other sites.

Occasionally I spend a few minutes looking for links all over eBid - last time I did it a few weeks ago I found 60 listings - compare that to a year ago when I would consistently find well over 10,000.

On any auction type site the policing of the listings largely down to the members. It is getting much better and long may that continue.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just curious, what is a Monetized blog?

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post

In short , blogs that make you money
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    I think there will always be grey areas...... I regard any link that goes to a page which then has links to other e-commerce sites as reportable. So either a direct e-commerce link or indirect e-commerce link (via a blog for example) is the same.

I will say that the e-commerce links in descriptions is much more proactively managed than it used to be. The postcard section alone had over 50,000 listings with links to other sites in 2011 when I started to be proactive in selling here - with those links removed soon after the postcard market on eBid started to prosper much better rather than act as a referral to other sites.

Occasionally I spend a few minutes looking for links all over eBid - last time I did it a few weeks ago I found 60 listings - compare that to a year ago when I would consistently find well over 10,000.

On any auction type site the policing of the listings largely down to the members. It is getting much better and long may that continue.
    Well the part that seemed the grayest to me was Marks response in the link. He seemed to be saying that as long as it was kept in the "About Me" area it was ok. Read that post and see what it says to you.

The boom in the post card market is a good thing for eBid and a good thing for the sellers. It did not seem to hurt sales on eBid, or draw business away from here, if I read your statement correctly.

A drop from 10,000 to 60 links in years time is phenomenal. Must be a reflection of all the diligent reporting of eBid users, and eBid's proactive removal of discovered inappropriate links.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post

A blog that brings in the dosh!

Quote Originally Posted by craig7501 View Post
    In short , blogs that make you money
    My that has a nice ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Well the part that seemed the grayest to me was Marks response in the link. He seemed to be saying that as long as it was kept in the "About Me" area it was ok. Read that post and see what it says to you.

The boom in the post card market is a good thing for eBid and a good thing for the sellers. It did not seem to hurt sales on eBid, or draw business away from here, if I read your statement correctly.

A drop from 10,000 to 60 links in years time is phenomenal. Must be a reflection of all the diligent reporting of eBid users, and eBid's proactive removal of discovered inappropriate links.

I missed the response from Mark in the link - yes very very grey! Two way promotional theme's..... depends on how the scales are balanced between the two........

It did hurt sales pre 2011 - as any links do. There was no real sustainable market here when buyers were being immediately directed elsewhere before the point of sale.

Not to say there isn't 10,000 links of course - but I am hugely impressed with the progress. I used to be absolutely gob smacked to find 10,000+ in a matter of minutes every single time - the listing count must have taken an absolute battering during that time! It is one area that infuriates me - new people discovering eBid and immediately being sent offsite via an e-commerce link.
    Last edited by deanosaur1972; 20th February 2013 at 10:08 PM.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    I missed the response from Mark in the link - yes very very grey! Two way promotional theme's..... depends on how the scales are balanced between the two........

It did hurt sales pre 2011 - as any links do. There was no real sustainable market here when buyers were being immediately directed elsewhere before the point of sale.

Not to say there isn't 10,000 links of course - but I am hugely impressed with the progress. I used to be absolutely gob smacked to find 10,000+ in a matter of minutes every single time - the listing count must have taken an absolute battering during that time! It is one area that infuriates me - new people discovering eBid and immediately being sent offsite via an e-commerce link.

I would settle for a really light side of the scales, if eBid would consider a two-way promotional with a "monetized blog", etc. I really do prefer transparency and clear communications, in regards to these type of issues. If activities have to be consealed, it holds little interest for me.

If the links hurt sales, then I do understand the need for them to be eliminated.

In general, I am hugely impressed with the progress eBid has made, over the years that I have been here. I expect that progress to continue at an exponential rate.

Thread Information