Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: measles outbreak.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default measles outbreak.

I remember a thread on here a while back about the pros and cons of the MMR jab...there was a lot for and a lot against...Just wonder how members feel now with this outbreak in Wales.............. I believe Liverpool has had a similar outbreak........papa.

Default Re: measles outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by papagran40 View Post
    a similar outbreak........papa.
    There has been here too - "sow the wind and reap the whirlwind."

Cambrensis

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

that one must have slipped under the radar....just hope there is nothing serious in the results from this problem............papa....
    Last edited by papagran40; 5th April 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: missing words

Quote Originally Posted by papagran40 View Post
    that one must have slipped under the radar....just hope there is nothing serious results from this problem............papa....
    Sometimes the press can build things up out of all proportion of course. When first I came to Essex from South Wales, there were headlines about a smallpox epidemic back home. Photographs showed queues of people outside emergency clinics and all the rest of it .I went to the doctor for a booster jab as I was going home for Christmas.

People at work were very nasty- I should not go as I might start an epidemic here and so on.

When I got home I discovered that there was smallpox in South Wales - in one village, in two houses in that village which were next door to each other; it was the same family and they had been to the Far East for a month or so. The vaccinations were to prevent an epidemic, not because of one!

Concerning measles I know of about 4 families in the immediate locality who have children with the disease. Like many others they had followed the press-created nonsense of a few years ago.

We can but hope.

Cambrensis

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yikes, that's awful! Hope things come out OK.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Just found this article, it appears that there are 20 new cases a day in Swansea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-epidemic.html

As for the MMR, both our kids have had it without problems. There is a percentage where if reached it should provide enough coverage to prevent outbreaks. One person may get it, but the chances of them passing it on are greatly reduced if a high proportion of people have been vaccinated. My own feeling is that the dangers of MMR have been overstated, the dangers of not having it are probably far greater.

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

My own feeling is that the dangers of MMR have been overstated, the dangers of not having it are probably far greater.
    The original study linking the MMR to autism was found to be flawed. Because of that flawed study, thousands of children have not been vaccinated against a disease which can cause serious sight and hearing problems and at its worse, can kill.

There is the argument that future generations will have severely compromised immune systems due to today's widescale vaccination programmes - and, in part, I subscribe to that theory. But, in the case of diseases like Polio, TB, Mumps, Rubella .......and Measles, it would seem irresponsible not to have a child vaccinated in order to protect them and others against wholly preventable diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Knit_Wits_Vintage View Post
    The original study linking the MMR to autism was found to be flawed. Because of that flawed study, thousands of children have not been vaccinated against a disease which can cause serious sight and hearing problems and at its worse, can kill.

There is the argument that future generations will have severely compromised immune systems due to today's widescale vaccination programmes - and, in part, I subscribe to that theory. But, in the case of diseases like Polio, TB, Mumps, Rubella .......and Measles, it would seem irresponsible not to have a child vaccinated in order to protect them and others against wholly preventable diseases.
    My own opinion on personal immunity is that it is not what it used to be. I think that everything is far too sterile these days. I am not advocating living in squalor to boost immunity, but a bit of dirt now and again might not go amiss.

Unfortunately the MMR vaccination has had a lot of controversy surrounding it. Prior to the link to autism, it was believed to cause meningitis. My neighbour's son actually got meningitis just after the jab and there were no other cases in his social circle (school, clubs, family/friends), so one can only assume that the vaccination was the cause of it. My own son had the jab at the same time as it was given at school and they were in the same school together.

If I remember well, this was actually acknowledged by the authorities, but was linked to just one manufacturer and/or batch of the vaccine.

I do believe in vaccination programmes for diseases like polio, measles, mumps, etc., because they can be eradicated. However, one has to be aware of the possible side effects.

My boys were not vaccinated against whooping cough, because at the time there was a warning about a potential risk if there were family members with epilepsy and my brother has epilepsy. I have no idea if this is still the case though.

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    My own opinion on personal immunity is that it is not what it used to be. I think that everything is far too sterile these days. I am not advocating living in squalor to boost immunity, but a bit of dirt now and again might not go amiss.
    Absolutely agree: air fresheners, antiseptic wipes........ everything possible now on the market to avoid a few germs which, in all probability, would do us no harm.

We are becoming a 'sterile' society (in more ways than one).

Thread Information