eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seller canceled, wanted to get more money.

Forum Newbie
    View tbear345's Feedback (+1)
    All-About tbear345
    View tbear345's Listings
    Forum Posts

Angry Seller canceled, wanted to get more money.

After the auction ended and I was wondering how to pay him, the seller did not contact me on purpose. He was busy canceling the sale because he felt the item warranted a higher price. Whether or not this is true, this is the gamble with auctions. He had a vague item description, that honestly made the iPod sound broken in the language he used, he responded to no questions about his product, and now he is surprised no one felt confident enough to bid over $3.79 for it. There was one other bidder, and apparently they didn't feel the product was worth more because they stopped bidding there as well. Isn't this equivalent to someone winning the item then not paying? As bidders don't we have to trust the sellers won't do exactly as he did just as sellers have to trust that they will get their payment from the winning bidder? This is the whole basis that makes these auction sites work, if I am not mistaken. What do you think?

Default Re: Seller canceled, wanted to get more money.

The seller should honour the deal. If they wanted a higher price they should have had a higher starting price,, or by the sound of things a better description. I have lost money on sales in the past, but that is my fault, so it is me who suffers, not the buyer. I would not pay a higher price. If they do not accept the winning bid then I would leave appropriate feedback. if they retaliate with a negative for you then contact support and they will remove it, as well as taking a look at the seller.

Forum Newbie
    All-About six5six
    View six5six's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know that we are all human and at times can make mistakes but if he had kindly written to you explaining that would have been different, but at the end of the day a deal is a deal and it should be honoured. Shame really. Hope it works out.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    The seller should honour the deal. If they wanted a higher price they should have had a higher starting price,, or by the sound of things a better description. I have lost money on sales in the past, but that is my fault, so it is me who suffers, not the buyer. I would not pay a higher price. If they do not accept the winning bid then I would leave appropriate feedback. if they retaliate with a negative for you then contact support and they will remove it, as well as taking a look at the seller.
    Ditto this. This is one of the reasons I (as well as many others) always advise new sellers to start auction style items at the lowest price they'd be willing to accept for the item, that way nobody feels let down after the auction ends.

Hope this works out for you. Oh and welcome to eBid.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

The seller is responsible for the price, not the buyer. If you purchased this item and they refuse to sell it report him to support. Just because they had a bidding price that was lower than it should have been was an unfortunate error on their part. I understand that sellers like to start low to get the bidding going, but they should have a reserve price if the want a guarantee of a price they want to sell it at. But it sellers like this that give a bad rep to the honest sellers.

Funny thing is I've read a post a couple of weeks ago that was similar to this. I wonder if its the same story or the same seller trying to pull this stunt again?

Good luck

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

The seller should honour the deal. If they wanted a higher price they should have had a higher starting price,, or by the sound of things a better description.
    Agreed

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Seller should have used higher starting bid or set a reserve on the item. A seller that fails to deliver after the hammer falls (sale ends) would be in breach of contract.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

The seller should honour the sale but there is nothing you can do to make them unless you wish to take them to court.

Sadly you didn't get the great bargain you were hoping for but to be honest it's not worth worrying about. Just leave feedback and move on.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Had similar situation happen to me also. Actually they are able to cancel the sale quite easily with the cancel feature. So, I've decided not to waste my time with low-start, no reserve auctions, until this situation is dealt with. It is a game I do not want to waste time playing. Expect it to increase, as sellers can have the best of both worlds.

Forum Newbie
    View Rustymini's Feedback (+3)
    All-About Rustymini
    View Rustymini's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have no problems bidding on low start auctions, however I'm always prepared for the seller to pull out. On another site I've just bought around £100 of car parts for £6.48. The seller was a genuine person and the sale was completed. I've since spent a further £150 with him (not such a bargain but at a very reasonable price we were both happy with) and will probably spend more with this trustworthy seller.

Thread Information