Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The New Buyer

Lightbulb The New Buyer

Hello and good day to all the folks here at eBid!

I read a report from Stanford University a little while ago and today I thought it might be a good topic. It is said that the buyers on the net these days are not wanting to waste their time on auctions because they rather be doing other things. The buyer today is more social rather than shopping. Now of course I said bull, the buyer will always shop around. So I did an experiment in my environment.

Remember my daughter and wife think money flies out my ars.

I've watched my wife, my daughter and her friends - who are 18 years and older - and have talked with others around town and I have found that the average age between 24 and 31 would rather just pay for their item and be on their way. The common reason, "I've got more important things to do than watch bidding"!

I thought to myself this is interesting. Stanford did say that the majority of sellers are leaning towards Buy It Now and Fixed Price with a few Make Me an Offer. That 16% and less are still doing auction style.

Now I'm probably old fashion for this type of commerce. I figured it was always best to be patient and find the item I want at the price I want. But this report - as well as a couple other reports I perused - may have some merit!

So I ask my fellow sellers. What do you think?

Default Re: The New Buyer

I think they are right.

Like you, I am patient enough to wait for an auction to end to get a good deal. It would seem the majority of my buyers are not like us.

Most of my listings here and elsewhere are auctions with buy it now. I do have some fixed price items and try to remember to click the make an offer box. I realize I am not a "power seller", but I have actually been tracking this for the last year.

My buy it now prices are often twice the auction starting price and yet, 2 out of 3 items I sell that are auctions are bought at the buy it now price. I guess a week is just too long to wait!

When an item has a fixed price, have rarely had someone make an offer ... they just pay the fixed price!

Now part of that may be the U.S. mentality of wanting it NOW! Would be interested to know if this holds true for our fellow sellers across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    I think they are right.

Like you, I am patient enough to wait for an auction to end to get a good deal. It would seem the majority of my buyers are not like us.

Most of my listings here and elsewhere are auctions with buy it now. I do have some fixed price items and try to remember to click the make an offer box. I realize I am not a "power seller", but I have actually been tracking this for the last year.

My buy it now prices are often twice the auction starting price and yet, 2 out of 3 items I sell that are auctions are bought at the buy it now price. I guess a week is just too long to wait!

When an item has a fixed price, have rarely had someone make an offer ... they just pay the fixed price!

Now part of that may be the U.S. mentality of wanting it NOW! Would be interested to know if this holds true for our fellow sellers across the pond.
    Hey good thought. With the economy the way it is you figure things would be different. How perplexing it is to see this attitude in the commerce market.

Two things which have never ever been on any of my listings and never will be - auction price and make an offer.

The reasons (but not the only one in respect of make an offer) are that either of those require extra buying decisions - the only decision I want the buyer to have is to buy or not to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    Two things which have never ever been on any of my listings and never will be - auction price and make an offer.

The reasons (but not the only one in respect of make an offer) are that either of those require extra buying decisions - the only decision I want the buyer to have is to buy or not to buy.
    Now that's definitely a way to look at it. My Mrs. says, "show me the price"! Which is the style that you show Dean. Well I too have started to wean myself to the BIN format.

Copper, like you I am listing more and more BIN. Ironically, I have just received bids on 2 items I recently listed elsewhere?!

Dean, your point is well taken. Many people really don't want lots of decisions and get confused to the point of making no decision or rather decide not to decide.

I have just had a look at Maples and my sales since the start of the year and it seems that it is a near 50/50 between "buy now's" and auction, and with auctions most have been bid on in the last 48 hours of the listing ending.

Another thing with BIN is that it makes it easier for multiple purchases.

And for those of us who do not mind waiting a little longer for the bargains this reduced number of people who use auctions can also mean lower prices, good for the buyer, not so good for the seller.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm not really surprised that price is relatively unimportant - this is the generation which says "don't bother with the change" and calls copper coins "shrapnel" and throws them away.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I'm not really surprised that price is relatively unimportant - this is the generation which says "don't bother with the change" and calls copper coins "shrapnel" and throws them away.
    Very true, the amount of school kids that come out of Greggs on their way to school and just throw their change about is amazing.
    Welcome to Wonderland

SantasWonderland DVD Grotto

SantasWonderland Vinyl & CD Grotto

All round entertainment, not just for Christmas

Join EBID now and join in all the fun yourself

Thread Information