Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The New Buyer

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: The New Buyer

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Just in case Sherlock has taken offence - I've lived in Yorkshire 3 times and been happy there.

It was also good to see a Yorkshire cricketer playing so well at Headingley - Root made me think of Yorkshire as a possible "Cock of the North" again.
    I have not taken offence madelaine, as far as I am concerned nothing to take offence at.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Good! I have spent so much time either in Engineering or around the Army where insults are just routine banter, that I can be misunderstood!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

Good! I have spent so much time either in Engineering or around the Army where insults are just routine banter, that I can be misunderstood!
    Funny that so have I, spent several years in the Army just after leaving school, then 35 years in engineering.

Perhaps it gives you a thick skin, and never take things too hard.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    Funny that so have I, spent several years in the Army just after leaving school, then 35 years in engineering.

Perhaps it gives you a thick skin, and never take things too hard.
    Though when I went into teaching, I discovered that I was supposed to accept being sworn at in a way that would have caused a fight in engineering!
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Though when I went into teaching, I discovered that I was supposed to accept being sworn at in a way that would have caused a fight in engineering!
    Is this something typical with former incarnations of eBid sellers? I spent 18 years in engineering and then 11 years teaching. No army though.

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

I was never in the army - but my father was, my husband was (still my husband, just retired from the army now) and I worked for MoD army department for a while.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Most of the time, I personally prefer to buy-now, when I am shopping, for that very same reason. Example: I needed some Victorian style boots for a theatre costume, I bid on a pair, and lost the bidding after hanging around for several days and missing other chances... in the end I went for a buy-now so that it was all sorted.

You can get really good deals from auctions, but of course it is all down to how urgently you need/ want the item. I wouldnt say that I exclusively buy one way or the other.

The great thing on ebid, is that it is affordable to actually list with an auction price and a buy-now.

I have been buying online for years, long before I started selling. I may not be typical, and I may have AADD, but . . .

If I really, really want something, I don't want to wait around for an auction to end. I compare the total cost (price plus shipping), pick the best bargain, and BUY IT. NOW.

If I notice an auction for something I'd like to have, but don't need, I put in one reasonable (usually lowball) bid. If it doesn't meet the reserve, I don't play around with it, I don't go back and bid again. The problem there is that I seldom notice auctions, I'm not much for idle browsing.

I admit I don't have to watch my pennies as carefully now, so that's a factor. On the other hand, back in the days when I had to stick to a budget, I didn't buy things that I didn't need. The one and only exception is buying from eBid, because when I bid on something there, I really, really want it and I'm careful with my buddy points.

Irthlingborough, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    All-About Favourite
    View Favourite's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    Two things which have never ever been on any of my listings and never will be - auction price and make an offer.

The reasons (but not the only one in respect of make an offer) are that either of those require extra buying decisions - the only decision I want the buyer to have is to buy or not to buy.
    You're right Dean, Why make an offer, seller should be specific enough about the price they are selling their item. What if a buyer offer you a price low than your expected price?

Most buyers these days don't have the time for long wait, What they want, they want it now or never!!!

Good luck everyone & keep Ebidding

http://senses-cosmetics.ebid.net
    For all your favourite Avon Products

http://favourite-packaging.ebid.net For all your packaging needs

http://favourite-baby-clothes.ebid.net For babies clothes - New and Used

Join Ebid here... http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/1405935

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

There's always the case that you could end up paying more for something in an auction when it would be cheaper to pay the RRP at the shop lol. This is a frequent case with brand new items like what I sell. I see people paying £12+ for the latest Star Wars figure in an auction on FeeBay when they could have bought it from me at the RRP of £8.99 or £9.99. Some people see auctions as getting a bargain, but that is not often the case on brand new items that are still widely available via independent shops like mine.

I'm not a fan of auctions myself. I would rather just buy and be done with it, especially if I need something quickly then I do not want to be waiting a few days or a week for an auction to end. If I am not in a rush for something then I'll bid on it in an auction which I have done with candles to get them a little bit cheaper. I really cannot be bothered wanting something and getting into bidding wars and pay far more than necessary for something, especially once the bid price exceeds the RRP on something that is still available in the shops. A lot of people see auctions as a lot of hassle, a lot of waiting around for it to end before you can get the item shipped to you etc. and quite honestly, like a lot of people, I just cannot be bothered with it all. The majority of people just want to buy and go. It's not that they have more important things to do as let's face, most of those people saying that do not actually have more important things to do, they would just rather spend that time watching TV, going out etc. which does not really qualify as more "important things" as it is not like they are saving the planet sitting on their arses watching some soap or some pointless reality TV crap.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Thread Information