Thread: Advice on selling LP/Vinyl collection

Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View andyrg66's Feedback (+1)
    All-About andyrg66
    View andyrg66's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Advice on selling LP/Vinyl collection

Hi

I have a collection of old LPs I was thinking of selling ABBA, Beatles and other early 80'S stuff.

If I list them separately is there and option for a buyer to select them all and buy as a job lot.

the records have only every been played once , maybe twice and then places in a plastic sleeve.

Back in the old days when I was young
    we had a record player in the living room and I had a cassette player in my bedroom, so they where play and recorded then packed away.

As the records have been in the sleeves for 20 or so years is there going to be a problem removing the sleeve.

if so does anyone have any suggestions how to do it

Cheers
    A

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Advice on selling LP/Vinyl collection

If you list these items separately there is not, in common with the other sites an option where they can be purchased as one lot ....unless of course, you decide to list them as job lot.....which is not the most effective method of listing such items , unless you bundled them into Artist specific lots.

Personally....i would list them individually, you have the option to explain in your description that , if more than is purchased at the same time then you will offer the best shipping deal....this is what i do on my all about me page.
    If you would like to dipose them as a job lot then you will need to offer "Collection in person" as an option., some of the Couriers will deliver these at a not too unreasonable cost.

Before selling , Records, it is important to understand the market's average selling price versus condition, and i would encourage you to view Ebay and Amazon to help you decide the price that you can achieve for these.
    when i list music items with Ebid i take account of the lower fees that i pay here and price with this in mind in the hope that that i can encourage buyers to come here instead of the two other venues.

Also, and as importantly, you need to understand what constitutes, good, very good, excellent condition, and for this i would seek the help of the "UK Record collector" magazine and study this.
    If you cannot test play the Records then you will not realise such a good price and buyers will view buying your Records as more of a gamble than buying from a seller who can test play and offer an appraisal as to the Records audio performance.
    If you quote that you have only played them maybe once or twice and that you guarantee their quality, then this may put many's mind at rest.

For example, when buying Records from elsewhere, when i see the common statement "Record looks good, but i have no way of testing it ", then i know that in most cases i may end up with unplayable land fill.

If the sleeves have been stored in protective pvc outers and they have been stored under slight pressure and been subjected to slight humidity then it is possible that upon removing them you may find some print can come away from the sleeve and you might be better advised to leave well alone here.

If for some reason that i can't explain you still wish to remove them, then by inserting a finger between the pvc outer sleeve and the sleeve to break the seal (if there is any) will lessen the chance of damaging the artwork.

When you post them to their new owner, i would suggest that you avoid using those thin card envelopes that Ebay sellers love so much as their use will ensure that the Record arrives at its destination looking like a fat man has sat on it.
    Instead use 3 or 4 pieces of stout card making sure that the grain of one sheet crosses the other to make the package bend resistant....if you're really obsessive and have access to enough cardboard then you can make your own crush proof pizza boxes.

Best of luck.

All-About andyrg66
    View andyrg66's Listings
    Forum Posts

HI,

thanks for the advice, its given me lots to think about and take into account

it seems to be the high gloss records that have stuck to the pc sleeves, mate printed covers are ok

I am currently checking the id number on the spin to see if any are first presses unlikely but at least I can include the year in the description.

100% sure they have only been played once max twice.

have checked out the price on other sites so will sell at a similar / lower price

would cutting the plastic sleeve to allow access to the LP but stiull preserving the cover bet worth considering

cheers
    A

All-About andyrg66
    View andyrg66's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi just checked out you vinyl - brings back memories!!! , always felt I got more buying and album instead of a CD

was think of listing mine between 50p to a pound

I wont sell glittering prize as mine is signed and you have it at 12.99

does it matter if the album is original but was only signed a couple of weeks ago?
    cheers
    A

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

If the Album is original , but was only signed a couple of weeks ago, then this makes no difference.....as long as the signature is genuine then this is all that is important.
    My copy of "Glittering prize" is priced quite low by the average standard, but if you read the description you'll see that there is slight flaw to the front cover print where a sticker has been removed, this reduced the overall value.....liker i have said before, when it comes to grading and valuing these things you need to be very strict.

Thread Information