Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What made you start to use Ebid

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What made you start to use Ebid

I opened a buyer account on here initially, looking for things for my theatre group, then pretty much forgot about it again. Then with one of Scam-Bay's changes, I got fed up and bought a seller lifetime account on here.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darklisruthven View Post
    I opened a buyer account on here initially, looking for things for my theatre group, then pretty much forgot about it again. Then with one of Scam-Bay's changes, I got fed up and bought a seller lifetime account on here.
    That's about what happened to me to

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I originally came here in 2006. Since then I have listed on a dozen or so venues.

Of the auction sites I have listed on, eBay and eBid are the only 2 left standing.
    Mmm I also, have noticed that there are nowhere near as many "auction" sites as there were.
    I wonder what that means.

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have been here more than four years now. Was on eBoy maybe five years (i have kind of erased some of the eBoy experiences from my mind) but was becoming fed up with extortionate fees. The tipping point was when I found out small sellers' items came last in searches, and I REALLY revolted when eBoy made it so sellers couldn't leave negative feedback but buyers could. I didn't really have all that many nonpaying bidders but it was obvious the place would become a scammer's happy hunting grounds.

It also left a bad taste in my mouth when I bought an item advertised as being in a very particular Mary Kay line. It arrived with no such branding on the package. I questioned the seller about what she would like to do to fix the situation. She gave me a negative feedback, saying I needed more handholding than a two year old.

Some people who attended, in person, an eBoy mass meeting, said the new head, Donahue, made a quite dismissive remark about sellers' complaints about new rules being "noise". That Marie Antoinette attitude was the frosting on the cake.

I joined eBid as a lifetime seller, and iOffer as well. On iOffer, I put in a search for a particular music CD that's almost impossible to find in the US. Quite quickly, somebody offered to sell me what was blatantly a homeburned copy. I got the feeling iOffer didn't police iteself very well. It's comforting to see the integrity here.

Got my Seller+ account here and slowly built up the listings trying to keep in the background and not sell too much until I was ready (did a lot of experimenting in this time as well).

So I was still selling on the bay with great dsr's and I didn't care about the fees - but I was not happy because I felt that any chance of building up a customer base was being undermined by a flawed search engine and poor exposure. The bay just turned into a totally illogical way of selling.

Eventually decided in June 2011 to take a one month break from the bay and concentrate on eBid. Never went back. I came to eBid because of the selling platform they provided and to put the fun back into selling. On eBid I can build a solid customer base and have good contact with buyers - which means it is far easier to sell here on eBid than I have experienced elsewhere. I have a long term plan here which is going very well and I am still really only at the beginning of that process, so much more fun to come.
    Last edited by deanosaur1972; 22nd June 2013 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Maybe, but I think that ebay's search engine does not show all items fairly, that is all I wanted.

Getting a lot of listing is the key to getting buyers to notice ebid, to make it a "destination" site.
    Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    The eBay search engine does not show all items fairly. I recently did a test run of listings there, and nothing sold. I had elected on my listing not to issue refunds, because that can be a major source of irritation over there. They left a message stating I needed to update my card on file so they could refund buyers who accessed the buyer protection program. I had to laugh; they reminded me of why I had left there in the first place.

Their arrogance is going to be their undoing. I heard someone explain on another thread that eBay speaks of "the seller's priviledge" to sell there. The poster could not believe their arrogance. Well, I'm not sure about the priviledge, but I was glad each time one of my listings closed without a bid, and I did not relist. I'm positive my listings did not receive "fair viewing."

Fair viewing of listings is all I want also. Not sure if any of the venues really provide that.
    We should remember that the search engines are Google, Yahoo, Bing, and etc. eBay doesn't have a search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperLocker View Post
    We should remember that the search engines are Google, Yahoo, Bing, and etc. eBay doesn't have a search engine.
    Then what is Cassini Search engine?

Maybe, but I think that ebay's search engine does not show all items fairly, that is all I wanted.

Getting a lot of listing is the key to getting buyers to notice ebid, to make it a "destination" site.
    Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    The eBay search engine does not show all items fairly. I recently did a test run of listings there, and nothing sold. I had elected on my listing not to issue refunds, because that can be a major source of irritation over there. They left a message stating I needed to update my card on file so they could refund buyers who accessed the buyer protection program. I had to laugh; they reminded me of why I had left there in the first place.

Their arrogance is going to be their undoing. I heard someone explain on another thread that eBay speaks of "the seller's priviledge" to sell there. The poster could not believe their arrogance. Well, I'm not sure about the priviledge, but I was glad each time one of my listings closed without a bid, and I did not relist. I'm positive my listings did not receive "fair viewing."

Fair viewing of listings is all I want also. Not sure if any of the venues really provide that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    Then what is Cassini Search engine?
    This looks to be a internal search program for eBay. If you need to see a list of search engines go to this link. http://www.thesearchenginelist.com/
    Last edited by CopperLocker; 23rd June 2013 at 02:38 AM.

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

Mmm I also, have noticed that there are nowhere near as many "auction" sites as there were.
    I wonder what that means.
    Taken at face value this means that old fashioned auctions are no longer popular with buyers and sellers....but i think that in this case face value is misleading.

Auctions are essentially a private seller affair....yes , i know that some business sellers have used it as a hook to drum up interest in their products, but this is a little used promotional tool and not a mainstay way of selling as in the case of the privateer.
    So....what has happened?......do sellers dislike auctions?....and do buyers/bidders dislike auctions....the answer to this is no, on both counts.

We need to look at the policy of the main auction site and how they have made it perfectly clear that hey want to move away from being an auction site and instead a great big online mall operating with fixed prices....this also does not include the private seller with a loft full of impossible to obtain collectible treasure.

So....what are other auction sites doing to attract these sellers?....well.....not much if anything, firstly as we have already realised, there aren't really any "auction sites", the only other household name platform for buying is Amazon and they have no categories to cover many items, and they have no auctions.
    So, i think that auctions are still popular and wanted by buyers and sellers, but the venue that everyone knows does not want these. There is no other site....other than Ebid as so many have disappeared, but Ebid is no longer, or never has been an auction site as such.
    The points i've made do offer an explanation in part as to why new users are drifting over here.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperLocker View Post
    This looks to be a internal search program for eBay. If you need to see a list of search engines go to this link. http://www.thesearchenginelist.com/
    And I think that is what Julie and Burgy may be referencing.

Thread Information