Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLUMS , we got plums...

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default PLUMS , we got plums...

yes , at last , we have plums on our plum tree...the wife says she counted 9 of them...might there be more ??....it has only taken about 6 years for something to show...can hardly stand the excitement ..we wonder if we will get even one fruit to grow to maturity .....fair chuffed.....watch this space for news of the great plum tart......ha ha.................papa.

Default Re: PLUMS , we got plums...

Well if its anything like my little apple tree the birds always get to them before I do, and the cherry tree well I went out one morning saw one single cherry when i got home it had gone.
    good luck with your plumbs papa

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Mmmmmmm plums, they're one of my favorite fruits. It's hard to find good ones in the supermarket, fresh are best. Good luck with the plums, fingers, toes and eyeballs crossed...

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    Well if its anything like my little apple tree the birds always get to them before I do, and the cherry tree well I went out one morning saw one single cherry when i got home it had gone.
    good luck with your plumbs papa
    ha ha , that is a good one buttons , you should have grabbed that cherry on the way out...our apples are usually ok....and Sue's ... the plums , if we get one are Victoria...........papa.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Never heard of Victoria plums, will have to Google that one. Peaches, apples and oranges I can get plenty of at any supermarket, but the elusive plum no dice.

My Dad has some apple trees, but they don't produce many apples and the birds tend to steal whatever does appear.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

We have a Victoria plum tree papa.
    Not a single plum this year, I think the wind blew all the blossom off so no fruits.
    Last year was a miserable show as well, the year before tons!
    No cherries on our tree this year, but ......
    I have just eaten my first strawberry - they are HUGE, and ripening fast.
    The netting will have to go over them before the pesky birds get at them.
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

My in laws used to have a victoria plum tree in the garden. Problem used to be wasps rather than birds. Luckily it was a very mature tree and there was always enough sound fruit as well. It's my favourite plum.

Yes, you are dead right there mainly - the wasps are are real nuisance where ripe fruit is concerned, especially so for the plums. They like apples too, but I don't have apple trees.

We do have 2 grape vines that produce tons of grapes every year - (again, last year was a very poor harvest) - and the wasps love grapes too, especially so when they are over-ripe.
    We are usually plagued by wasps every year, but last year due to poor weather it wasn't too bad.

We haven't had ants this year either - we usually get them coming in and raiding the food cupboard after my jams.
    We also have flying ants that come in from somewhere behind my freezer.
    None last year, none this year - so at least a lousy spring/summer does have some benefits!
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical_Trish View Post
    Yes, you are dead right there mainly - the wasps are are real nuisance where ripe fruit is concerned, especially so for the plums. They like apples too, but I don't have apple trees.

We do have 2 grape vines that produce tons of grapes every year - (again, last year was a very poor harvest) - and the wasps love grapes too, especially so when they are over-ripe.
    We are usually plagued by wasps every year, but last year due to poor weather it wasn't too bad.

We haven't had ants this year either - we usually get them coming in and raiding the food cupboard after my jams.
    We also have flying ants that come in from somewhere behind my freezer.
    None last year, none this year - so at least a lousy spring/summer does have some benefits!
    Lucky you, no ants. Been out and about with ant powder for about 2 months. Only applying it to the nests close to doors, but leaving the ones further down the garden alone - they're a regular feeding area for birds, including my green woodpecker. I have about a dozen yellow patches in my lawn, where there are ants nest under the grass. Luckily I don't seem to get them indoors.

you need a line of creosote painting all round the house, that stops them coming in as they won't cross over the line, you will have to find someone who has some though as they banned it, like they do with most things that work.

Thread Information