Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Storm St Jude - Please check in if you are OK

Quote Originally Posted by kazeran View Post
    Hello Tony.
    That is my point. Please everyone, don't get angry or have a pop. I am trying to be a realist.
    It is truly tragic that four people have lost their lives, but in the great wheel of things, this storm has been nothing more than a series of high winds.
    The media have turned this into a headline snatching bit of propaganda or, quite simply put a sideshow.
    Storms, real storms cause massive devastation and large loss of life. Does anyone remember the Europe wide "Burns day" storm in the 1990's? over 70 people lost their lives and there have been others.
    I simply think that we are really living in a media driven Orwellian type of world, where they try to shape events and tell you/me what to think.
    Just for a second, that's all I ask, sit back away from the keyboard and think real hard about it for just second?
    Is that really all that happened in the world today?
    I'm, on your side.If there was a big storm in Scotland it wouldn't be reported with the BBC
    We have snow up the North and we have to contend with it.
    BBC does not bother to report it.
    BUT if LONDON gets 1/2 inch everything grinds to a halt
    Big BBC report then.
    cheers Tony

View kazeran's Feedback (+7908)
    All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know what you mean.
    BBC news 24 hardly ever report anything further north than say, Stratford?
    I don't know if you subscribe to sky or watch other news channels, but whenever the BBC report this sort of news, I find myself looking overseas to see if they are maybe trying to divert attention away from other events?
    Just off the top of my head, this storm stuff makes it rather difficult for Cameron to be questioned about the USA spying on the other European states? If he was asked he could simply sidestep by saying that there are more important things to be discussed at home.

Quote Originally Posted by zaranvalesasterix View Post
    I'm sure they are worried about getting a repeat of the Michael Fish error
    Michael Fish did not make an error. He was, and is still, misquoted.
    When he said that there wasn't going to be a hurricane he was replying to a woman who had called in and said her mother was going on holiday but had been told that her mother's destination was going to be hit by a hurricane. Michael correctly replied that there wasn't going to be one - and was referring to the region of the holiday, not the UK. But, as usual, the rest of the media prefer a story to the truth and ran with the incorrect version, effectively ending Mr Fish's career.

BARJOYS,

please try to resize your pictures before posting in the forums. Over-sized images make it difficult to read and navigate the thread. If you want help with image resizing, please ask.

I have done this one for you and would appreciate your swapping it for the over-sized version earlier in this thread.

Attachment 42272

Glad to hear that everyone here is ok & my heart & prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones.

OK here just North of Manchester. It's very sad that lives have been lost due to weather and my sincere condolences.
    Just a comment from this Old Lady.
    I was brought up in a farming and fishing community. From an early age I was taught to respect the sea and Mother nature in general as both are capable of killing us small humans. I was taught to "Keep a weather eye open" That meant to watch the sky, learn about wind direction and to know the signs of on-coming storms. OK it wasn't a five day warning usually a hour or so.
    I Understood shower clouds so be be ready to run out to rescue the washing. I understood North winds bring cold weather and to wrap up warm. I grew to be fascinated watching "Thunder heads" growing and understood where not to shelter from an electrical storm. I Understood the power of waves crashing onto shore and the promenade and I knew they could sweep me away.
    Autumn is always a season of gales and storms. We used to expect this weather. Now everyone is alarmed and the media hype it up.
    It's so sad that the majority of people have lost this skill of observation and are , in my opinion, frighteningly reliant on electronic information gadgets.
    Am I being a grumpy Old lady if I say that these skills and knowledge have enhanced my life, in a few instances saved the family from, if not disaster, certainly from minor accidents such as extra tent pegs to hold down the caravan awning when a storm is brewing out to sea.. I have taught my children and now they can teach theirs.
    "Whatever you are doing "Keep a weather eye open"

PS Don't get me wrong, I admire the accuracy of early warning systems. They save lives. It's just sad when people ignore the warnings and go hiking over mountains, play chicken in front of a raging sea or running around on thin Ice!
    Click to open The Allsorts Cupboard

Widen your search Horizons
    Find it on eBid
    Click here to join the fun for FREE

Forum Saint
    View tonyreddevil's Feedback (+74)
    All-About tonyreddevil
    View tonyreddevil's Listings
    Forum Posts

The storm as now gone into Holland,France and Germany

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's just sad when people ignore the warnings and go hiking over mountains, play chicken in front of a raging sea or running around on thin Ice
    It's even sadder that members of the emergency services are then expected to risk their lives trying to save such idiots.

View kazeran's Feedback (+7908)
    All-About kazeran
    View kazeran's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redmerlin777 View Post
    OK here just North of Manchester. It's very sad that lives have been lost due to weather and my sincere condolences.
    Just a comment from this Old Lady.
    I was brought up in a farming and fishing community. From an early age I was taught to respect the sea and Mother nature in general as both are capable of killing us small humans. I was taught to "Keep a weather eye open" That meant to watch the sky, learn about wind direction and to know the signs of on-coming storms. OK it wasn't a five day warning usually a hour or so.
    I Understood shower clouds so be be ready to run out to rescue the washing. I understood North winds bring cold weather and to wrap up warm. I grew to be fascinated watching "Thunder heads" growing and understood where not to shelter from an electrical storm. I Understood the power of waves crashing onto shore and the promenade and I knew they could sweep me away.
    Autumn is always a season of gales and storms. We used to expect this weather. Now everyone is alarmed and the media hype it up.
    It's so sad that the majority of people have lost this skill of observation and are , in my opinion, frighteningly reliant on electronic information gadgets.
    Am I being a grumpy Old lady if I say that these skills and knowledge have enhanced my life, in a few instances saved the family from, if not disaster, certainly from minor accidents such as extra tent pegs to hold down the caravan awning when a storm is brewing out to sea.. I have taught my children and now they can teach theirs.
    "Whatever you are doing "Keep a weather eye open"

PS Don't get me wrong, I admire the accuracy of early warning systems. They save lives. It's just sad when people ignore the warnings and go hiking over mountains, play chicken in front of a raging sea or running around on thin Ice!
    Hear, hear. I totally agree.
    I have also noticed an alarming trend for the weather people to remove the isobar map, which effectively removes the ability for the general public to work the weather out for themselves. There have been many occasions in the past where a quick glance at the isobars reveal that the media weather men are talking out of their hat which on most occasions is unlikely to get blown off regardless of what they say.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Living in a hurricane prone area, I know how bad these storms can be. Prayers and good thoughts going out to all those affected.

Stay safe and hugs,

Thread Information