eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you looking forward to christmas?

Cool Are you looking forward to christmas?

Are you looking forward to Christmas....or do you think it is a lot of fuss for a few days
    'Welcome to my art studio. Always open

'http://uk.ebid.net/items/pamelajonesart

Forum Lurker
    Knaresborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View willothewisp's Feedback (+81)
    All-About willothewisp
    View willothewisp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Are you looking forward to christmas?

The only thing I like about Christmas is watching kids open presents. Otherwise, I hate it. Years past, I used to get the prezzies (always making myself skint and worrying whether they liked it) Spent the holiday looking after everyone, cooked, bottle washed, waited on everyone to make sure they were ok and enjoying themselves - by the end of it bloody knackered. Christmas has always been stress - never a 'relaxing' holiday for me as an adult. Now a lot older - so as far as I am concerned I am quite happy to forget it - a lot more relaxing. Buy the prezzies for any of young kids in the families; older kid give money - but otherwise I really dont care.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31499)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think that Christmas as commercialized and accreted with recent traditions is a big distraction from Christmas as in birth of Jesus.
    I prefer to spend Christmas in a Buddhist country where it is much easier to Celebrate the birth of Jesus without all the garbage.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Yes because I have a christmas present from my friend in Holland that Mike has hidden on the top floor

Quote Originally Posted by billsbooks View Post
    I think that Christmas as commercialized and accreted with recent traditions is a big distraction from Christmas as in birth of Jesus.
    I prefer to spend Christmas in a Buddhist country where it is much easier to Celebrate the birth of Jesus without all the garbage.
    Except the date of celebration has nothing at all to do with the birth of Jesus and more to do with crushing the religious beliefs of other groups by taking over their significant dates.

I do, however, note the irony of your going to a Buddhist country to celebrate a Christian festival.

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Nope!
    I spend most of my time driving around between relatives, & doing THEIR Christmas shopping!
    There are no little ones any more - my Grandkids are all teenagers and only interested in the latest gadget or how much money they have.

My Daughter makes our Christmas meal on Christmas Eve........ so with a bit of luck....I will spend Christmas Day in me jim jams, in front of the telly!

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

i enjoy that time of year because my birthday is on the 21st and we celebrate the solstice. My youngest daughter comes over and cooks us a ham for the solstice and all the littilies live too far away so i never see them at christmas and we celebrate on christmas day by having a slightly more expensive ready meal than usual.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

From a purely selfish viewpoint the extra sales are nice. But as a confirmed atheist it is a lot of fuss for nothing. Unfortunately though with kids of 4 and 5 we have to partake. Bought them both LED torches last year, should have seen their little faces light up when they turned them on.

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pamelajonesart View Post
    Are you looking forward to Christmas....or do you think it is a lot of fuss for a few days
    I don't believe in God , so Christmas is a non starter.

If I did believe; I'd still think that Christmas has been hijacked by materialism, greed and profit.

Values that are transparently against everything that so called Christianity stands for.

It's all B******S in my humble opinion!

My husband would say "bah humbug". He's glad that our Christmas is different than it used to be.

We don't do much of anything at Christmas anymore and for that I am so grateful. We don't buy gifts. We stopped the gift buying about five / six years ago. We don't have a traditional Christmas type meal anymore. I'm just grateful that we have so much good food to eat, and year round at that. I cook what we fancy.

The elderly relatives who were used to the tradition of celebrating Christmas in a certain way, (even though they weren't religious) have crossed over and I don't have to make a Christmas for them now. There are no children in the picture.

I might decorate a tree for the solstice and celebrate in my own quiet way, with some music and candles and tree lights. But, I will probably send letters / Christmas cards to a few elderly relatives. That's the part of the tradition that I still keep.

Thread Information