eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Newbie

Question Hello from Newbie

Hi all.

I arrived here after Googling an item I am looking for. I purchase quite a lot from Amazon and Ebay and have considered trying selling on Ebay. I usually get put off by the costs and the aggro that people seem to get. When I joined here so I could email a seller I was offered this Lifetime plus membership. It appears a good deal but I've seen a few posts regarding lack of business on here. So to make this short and simple I would like to hear from anyone "Why should I pay £49.99 to join"? If you feel I should then please sell eBid to me or if not, then please explain why I shouldn't. I know there is lots of info on the site but I haven't the time to sort through it all before the offer ends. If the offer ends I will probably disappear into the mist after concluding my purchase. One note to mention, I didn't even know this site existed until I searched Google for an item I was haveing a hard time getting on Ebay at the price I want to pay. Maybe eBid would like to comment on why that might be? I look forward to hearing your views on this and thank you all for taking the time to read and hopefully respond.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Hello from Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by deckhanddave View Post
    Hi all.

I arrived here after Googling an item I am looking for. I purchase quite a lot from Amazon and Ebay and have considered trying selling on Ebay. I usually get put off by the costs and the aggro that people seem to get. When I joined here so I could email a seller I was offered this Lifetime plus membership. It appears a good deal but I've seen a few posts regarding lack of business on here. So to make this short and simple I would like to hear from anyone "Why should I pay £49.99 to join"? If you feel I should then please sell eBid to me or if not, then please explain why I shouldn't. I know there is lots of info on the site but I haven't the time to sort through it all before the offer ends. If the offer ends I will probably disappear into the mist after concluding my purchase. One note to mention, I didn't even know this site existed until I searched Google for an item I was haveing a hard time getting on Ebay at the price I want to pay. Maybe eBid would like to comment on why that might be? I look forward to hearing your views on this and thank you all for taking the time to read and hopefully respond.
    Hi and welcome to eBid & the Forum.
    The links below are from Astral's thread for New Users:

re the Special offer to join - as you can see from the link below it can be available after the 24 hour period:

http://www.mootango.webspace.virginm...idkb.htm#a0065

eBid is a much smaller site than eBay. See the link below re advertising:

http://www.mootango.webspace.virginm...idkb.htm#a0069

I joined for the long term and was prepared to adapt to selling on this different platform. (adaptation is key - making eBid work for you & not assuming that the same selling techniques will work here as over there). It took a little while for sales to start but once they did I soon made my money back.

For me, varied items & opening Stores was the key.

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1963)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

The site seems to work for some people but not for others.

I can let you know that eBid has worked for me and I have gained back my seller's life time fee and more. When I started there were about 70 stamp shops on eBid and now there are about 150. So in three years stamp shops have doubled on eBid. My experience in selling, is that it took 3 months for my first sale to take place, but now I get regular monthly sales mainly from people that have found me on Google and the return buyers.

If you have a niche market, you will have nothing to loose and plenty to gain by listing here, especially if you plan to stay here long term. You are in control of prices and how you sell your item (as long as the item does not breach eBid rules).

If you are prepared to work hard to get the items you are selling promoted I think sales will come.

Any items over £1.00 are shown on Google Shopping, but that £1.00 limit might be raised depending on costs from Google to eBid.

The other major point to consider is that eBid customer support are real people who try and resolve whatever problem you have.
    They are also quite quick in sorting programme glitches that happen from time to time.

The forum is also a great place to get general advice and help.

Welcome to eBid!

Hi Cheaver

Thanks for replying. I am thinking of jumping in and testing the water. Have you found support from eBid to be good, poor or worse? I just read the name awareness/advertising link. That I can understand. What interests me right now is that you have been a member since 2010. I'm impressed. Also, you have 6 stores. 5 are free on this promotion so you are paying extra for at least one, am I right? If so, the fact you have been on here for 3 years and paying for at least one store over and above the promotional deal I'm looking at, would suggest it can be profitable. Is that a reasonable assumption? I hope you don't mind my asking these questions but that sort of feedback is worth much more than site generated info.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deckhanddave View Post
    Hi Cheaver

Thanks for replying. I am thinking of jumping in and testing the water. Have you found support from eBid to be good, poor or worse? I just read the name awareness/advertising link. That I can understand. What interests me right now is that you have been a member since 2010. I'm impressed. Also, you have 6 stores. 5 are free on this promotion so you are paying extra for at least one, am I right? If so, the fact you have been on here for 3 years and paying for at least one store over and above the promotional deal I'm looking at, would suggest it can be profitable. Is that a reasonable assumption? I hope you don't mind my asking these questions but that sort of feedback is worth much more than site generated info.
    eBid Support is totally excellent & fast - real guys, not bots.
    I only have 2 stores Dave, just got 6 signature links to my main categories. All my feedback is from eBid also.
    I took out the Seller+Lifetime - it has paid for itself over & over - I now only pay 2% FVF when I sell.
    Patience, adaptation, in for the longer term & taking time to get to grips with it is necessary. Forum members are fantastic also should you need help/advice.

Hi again Cheaver and Hi and thanks to gbsbks2010 for also inputting his thoughts. I can say I'm liking the responses I'm getting and tipping towards taking the offer up. I like the idea of knowing where I am at from the start without having varying goalposts like Ebay have. I think if you sneeze on Ebay they've found a way to charge you! Commission on P&P is the latest I believe. I'm not looking to make a living on here but wouldn't object if it happened. I'm mainly looking for a means of selling miscellaneous items as and when. This site and the offer appears to tick all the boxes for that. Not forgetting the promotional price too. Any more thoughts and opinions out there? If so, I would love to hear them.

I opted for the seller+ purely because I wouldn't then have to think about it again. £50 isn't a huge amount of money, you can buy a lottery ticket each week for 6 months and get nothing for it.
    I started in Sept, I think, and have had my first sales in November, not big amounts but then I haven't put that much effort into it anyway. I do know now that if I sell anything I will only pay 2%, I may get a higher price on the other site but most of it will go in fees so I wouldn't be any better off.

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1963)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you click on "Stores" at the top of this page, it will take you to a list of stores sections available.

Take a look in the "general stores" to see what people are listing.

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi and welcome to eBid. I joined on the 24th October 2009 and made my first sale on the 9th November. It wasn't long before I had made my £49 fee back and it's been pure profit (less 2%) since then. Besides being profitable, it's fun!

Hi zaranvalesasterix. Thanks for the input. A good point regards £50.00, mind you, if it was spent on Euromillions it would only last for 3 months and one day. I should think £50.00 should be fairly easy to make back with a bit of effort and if not, then it won't bankrupt me. Were I a betting man, I'd say it was fairly decent odds not to lose the money.

Thread Information