eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

Attachment 42976

.............for those of varying faiths to objectively and subjectively discuss why they hold the beliefs or lack of beliefs that they do? Can this be done without arguing, insults, or attacks on others belief systems?

I will go first, it is only fair since I asked.

I am a Christian.

Why? I came to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ by accepting Him as my LORD and Savior.

How? By confessing with my mouth that I was a sinner. By believing in my heart that Jesus died on the cross to save me a sinner. By repenting (turning away) from my sins. By asking Jesus Christ to come into my life as my LORD and Savior.
    (See Romans 10:8-10, 13-15)

What? What in the world could have made me want to do that? It was a long, gentle process. First, an unexplainable attraction to biblical text. Could not really say I believed what I was reading, but it fascinated me. Next (many years later) I witnessed miraculous healings. I was not "a believer", but I was blown away by what I saw.

So one day I called a prayer counselor for prayer for a very sick child. The counselor perceived that I was not a Christian. They invited me to pray "the sinner's prayer for forgiveness, and to accept Jesus Christ as my Savior." So I did, because there was a very sick child who needed a healing.

The counselor told me that they perceived that only God Himself would be able to reach me. So they prayed a different prayer, that the prayer I had prayed be sealed, and asking God to reveal Himself to me over the next week. The child was dramatically healed the very same day. Each day for the entire week, I experienced God's presence in tangible ways. I have never since questioned His existence after.

I never debate with others concerning the existence of God, because I realize that no person could have convinced me of God's existence or that I was in need of a savior. Only God Himself was able to do that.

Responder's

Christians - 9

Pagans - 1

Atheists - 6

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Is It Possible............Is It Safe..........

I probably come under the heading of "non practicing Christian"

In other words I don't feel the need to go to church........but I have faith.
    I'm not quite sure what or who that faith is in, but a greater entity than we mere mortals.

Saying that, on one occasion where a life was teetering on the very edge of existence......I was drawn to the hospital chapel......why I don't know........but I prayed, much along the lines of either take him quickly without pain, or bring him back to me. My Dad survived.

On another occasion, I was put in the position (in a court) of either taking in three very young children or having them lost forever through adoption. On my way home I found myself walking into our Parish Church and by chance the Vicar (and his children) were there. We prayed together that I would make the right decision. The next day I went back into the courtroom......and brought the children home. I'm pleased to say that they have since been returned to their Mum (in better circumstances), so it was meant to be.

I have an open mind about faith / religion / beliefs etc. each to their own.
    Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Christians like all other faiths or those who claim "no faith" come in many shapes and sizes. From new born babies to fully mature in practicing their faith. Then it is as if they are on a sliding scale at times, going forward in growth (weight), then sliding back, then equalizing forward again.

I do not currently attend a church, as I travel frequently. Also seeking God's guidance on where I belong, or where I'm suppose to be. I do not feel a need to "just be in church" or "just go to church"; I do however feel a strong need to be where (a church) I'm suppose to be. I was always very active in church, and I miss that now. An issue since returning to the North East segment of the USA, from the Mid-West.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was brought up as a Christian (Church of Scotland) and attended church regularly but bigotry in the west of Scotland pulled me away. I looked at many faiths and for 25 years was a pagan following no particular path. But I do not believe in a god (or goddess), only in time and nature. I also did not believe in an afterlife so I came to recognise I was actually a humanist.
    I still follow the wheel of the year and celebrate the quarters and cross quarters. I brought my 4 children up as pagans but only one of them still is.
    I believe all folks should be free to practise whatever faith they find comfort in or no faith if that is their choice as long as it harms no-one else
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

All seem to be in agreement so far that each person should be free to follow the faith, and or belief that they choose to follow.

The differences seem to revolve around "who" or "what" is God/a god/a goddess/or a belief set. In some ways I consider "a belief set" to be the organizing or defining factor for all faiths, denominations, or paths. Would consider "a belief set" to also pertain to those who describe themselves as agnostics or atheist.

Could "a belief set" be considered "a religion"? Religion is defined by Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition as 1) the service and worship of God or the supernatural; 2) a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices; 3) a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

For example, atheism is defined by Merriam Webster's as 1) a disbelief in the existence of deity; 2) the doctrine that there is no deity. They define atheist as one who denies the existence of God. In other words, an atheist has a belief set, or a personal set of beliefs, that deny the existence of God or deity. A belief set that could be considered a religion by definition.

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

I consider myself to have no relegion.

I was born Christian (Church of England), but from a very early age, I did not go to church. I do not believe that there is a God or an afterlife, and I do not follow any other type of calling, so I suppose that makes me an atheist, but on the other hand I do not recognise that title either.

So I really do not know under what status I would be classified.

I also firmly believe that everyone has the right to follow whatever path they choose, free of ridicule or bigotory, and no one has the right to tell them otherwise.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

I am an atheist. As far as I am concerned there is no god of any form. God is an invention of man from when we did not understand the world, now that we do understand religion is irrelevant. As for miracles, yes they do happen, but they are not some form of divine intervention they are more likely to be extreme good fortune. if any divine intervention was to take place then devoutly religious people would not die in the same proportion in car crashes, plane crashes, natural disasters etc. A friend summed it up well when he told me about an experience he had on holiday when somebody was talking about the wonder of God and how he stopped the waters of the Boxing Day Tsunami just yards from a church, a true miracle. My friend pointed out that if he could stop the waters then why did a quarter of a million people die and thousands of other churches get destroyed. He did not get an answer.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post

As for miracles, yes they do happen, but they are not some form of divine intervention they are more likely to be extreme good fortune. if any divine intervention was to take place then devoutly religious people would not die in the same proportion in car crashes, plane crashes, natural disasters etc. A friend summed it up well when he told me about an experience he had on holiday when somebody was talking about the wonder of God and how he stopped the waters of the Boxing Day Tsunami just yards from a church, a true miracle. My friend pointed out that if he could stop the waters then why did a quarter of a million people die and thousands of other churches get destroyed. He did not get an answer.
    Bad things happen to very good people everyday. My personal set includes the belief that there are two diabolically opposed forces that have different purposes for mankind. The purpose of God is to bring life in its fullness to mankind. The purpose of the evil one is "to steal, kill, and destroy" (John 10:10)

I know you do not believe in God, and that is your right. I have a right to believe in God, and to adhere to a personal belief set.

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Bad things happen to very good people everyday. My personal set includes the belief that there are two diabolically opposed forces that have different purposes for mankind. The purpose of God is to bring life in its fullness to mankind. The purpose of the evil one is "to steal, kill, and destroy" (John 10:10)

I know you do not believe in God, and that is your right. I have a right to believe in God, and to adhere to a personal belief set.
    I have no problem with people believing in God. I would say that I have Christian values, but you do not have to believe in some entity to think that some things are wrong. It is man who wrote the bible so in effect Christian values are actually the values of mankind. I read recently that in most western countries that religion is dying out, even in Italy and Ireland people do not follow the church as much. There will always be religion, but then again there are people who go to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice.

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am a Christian and my beliefs are as in the Nicene Creed and the Apostle's Creed.

We should all be able to discuss beliefs without descending into bigotry or insults, etc.

Thread Information