View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Sealing the Generation Gaps

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post

1900-1924 - GI Generation
    1909-1928 - Good Warriors

1890-1908 - Hard Timers

1871-1889 - New Worlders

The last three generations considered were the GI Generation, the Hard Timers, and the New Worlders. These three generations share one thing in common, they all contain a class of individuals known as centenarians. These are known individuals who have lived to their 100th birthday and beyond. Does this have any relevance for the more contemporary generations of today? I think so.

GI Generation (aka: Good Warriors) - cover an age range of 86/90 to 105/114

The younger end of the age range would certainly be included among the first five contemporary generations as parents, grand parents, great grand parents, and other clan. The latter age range would include centenarians (age 100 and beyond) and supercentenarians (age 110 and beyond). The first link below links Baby Boomers to the issue of aging and centenarians.

Link for centenarian: http://www.newswise.com/articles/liv...ancy-age-rises

Link for supercentenarian : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercentenarian

Hard Timers - cover an age range of 106-124
    and would be classified as centenarian/supercentenarian

Link to contemporary views on aging http://www.pewforum.org/2013/08/06/l...ife-extension/

New Worlders - cover age range 125-143 - these folk are supercentenarians. Link below list Jeanne Calment as living to the age of 122, verified by modern standards. See link below for reference, and a list of others reported to have lived well beyond 130 years of age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ved_beyond_130

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Recently participated in a very fascinating professional ceu training. It addressed the current work place environment for the profession. For the first time in history four generations of healthcare workers are working side by side. This poses a potential disconnect due to the differences in life experience. It also poses special challenges to managers or supervisors, to bridge the disconnect. It could also be seen as a tremendous opportunity to harness the strengths of these groups.

The generations are the Silent Generation, Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Gen Y. Was most fascinated by the impact that the two youngest generations are having on the profession. Personally, I think they bring some rational balance to the work place environment. Generation X and Generation Y were eyewitnesses of the impact the profession had on their parents. They are demanding work/life balance, challenging the system. I for one am pleased with their presence, and the impact they are making. The profession is nursing.

Wondering the impact this is having on other professions, other industries, other work settings. The training session had a profound affect on me; raising issues and questions that I have tried to address for years. Also raised my awareness levels and concerns about the future impact these historical shifts are going to have on each and everyone of us.

Found an interesting link about Millennials in the work place, which is a real challenge for many Baby Boomer managers. Second link are some cool images of Baby Boomers and Millennials

http://blog.vistage.com/communication/millennials-the-misunderstood-generation/

https://www.google.com/search?q=boom...2F%3B300%3B225

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sounds like a great seminar. So, you're a nurse, too? How cool is that! I used to work as an LPN many years ago, worked in long term care so I got to associate with different generations. I can honestly say I prefer working with older people, always have, not sure why, maybe it's all the stories and life experiences they have to share; I felt like I learned something from nearly everyone I was fortunate enough to meet during my nursing days.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

It was a great seminar; I was very impressed with the speaker. Although an accomplished upper level executive, she was incredibly in touch with all the major arenas of nursing. This spanned nursing leaders and managers; educators; and all of the clinical areas of nursing practice including acute care hospitals, nursing homes, registries, assisted living programs, etc. The seminar was focusing on the acute care hospitals, as the environment that the 4 generations were co-existing in. The speaker also had a very clearly defined grasp of the interactions between the generations of nurses.

As a nurse, one only has to use their imagination, to envision the impact in the work place, of having team members in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's working together. Hospital nursing involves alot of walking, lifting, turning of patients; and alot of multi-tasking. Healthcare involves dealing with the critical issues of maintaining life and well-being of its clients. These folk have to overcome their differences for the safety and well being of clients.

I enjoy working with young people. Have a non-profit business that works with youth/young adults, helping them start their own businesses. Have worked with them as young as 9-11 years old. This is very different than nursing. In nursing, my clients were heavily in the pediatric or geriatric ranges. I like working with both of these special groups, as their needs are very similar.

As far as working with other nurses, I don't think I ever established a preference for generational involvement. I left the hospital setting, as I found the environment did not fit my needs for autonomy. I could possibly see myself there among the current environmental mixing of the generations. Would probably feel quite comfortable around Gen X and the Millennials (Gen Y).

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

With all of the new focus on social media, and the testing of the ap on eBid...........I better locate a Gen Y for my planning team.

Quote Originally Posted by billsbooks View Post
    Definitely not silent, I can assure you!
    Just catching up on this thread - oh dear! Silent? I'm 1939 so of this so-called "silent" generation! Who ever heard of a silent Welshman in either language?

It used to frustrate my wife as I spoke in Welsh in my sleep - and, being English, she could never understand a word, bless her!

As for this Generation X being "tech savvy". It was my generation who taught their fathers! ROFL. Oh dear "Don't ee make Oi larff, cos when Oi larffs..."

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....that's why the Dragon! Da iawn!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....that's why the Dragon! Da iawn!
    Yn wir! (Truly)...It also explains "cambrensis". I thought the Latin might be more comprehensible than "O Gymru".

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31499)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

My children understand something about the older generation.

My Christmas present from them happens on March 9th. All four daughters and all three grandchildren will take me to London Zoo.

They understand that I don't need things, I enjoy activities, and having them all together in one place is the best present I could have.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thread Information