eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Exclamation Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

Hubby and I finally succumbed to the pressures of abandoning our 9 year old computer with our beloved XP operating system (1gb RAM) to a brand new computer with windows 8 (12gb RAM) as our joint Xmas present. It's like, we landed on another planet.

First thing we noticed is the speed, we wanted as big of a RAM as we could afford. Wow! My Photoshop opens with a blink of an eye! amazing!

OK, so we've both been playing around with it trying to navigate around (like I said, another planet for us) and by doing that, we are learning what is where and how to get there. We've just hit the tip of the iceberg (only got the computer yesterday, Saturday 28th December 2013).

One thing I loved about my XP system, I had my FTP on my networks thingy set up, and all I had to do was click on it and it took me to my files stored on my website. At the moment, I have no idea how to do this with Windows 8

We've learned how to place icons (programs we use the most) on our start page.

Again I say, it's like landing on a different planet.

Any pointers, ideas, advice any of you more seasoned Windows 8 users can give me, I'd appreciate very much.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

Very nice........congrats! May I be so politically incorrect to ask did you acquire here, online (other), or brick & mortar? Reason I ask is I have an older version computer, and will be looking to replace soon, for the best features at an affordable price. Do not know anything about version 8, so maybe I can learn a bit about it here.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Got a new computer with Windows 8 - it's like landing on a different planet

I got a windows 8 laptop in february and am still learning its quirks. Some folk hate it but as i had windows 7 i dont find it as big a jump. I found the videos on youtube very helpful when learning to navigate around. Some of my older programmes just wont work but ive found others that do. Have fun exploring (ps i got mine from a catalogue as it was the best price for what i wanted)
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Hi Jan,
    I have a laptop that i got 6 months ago with windows 8 & really hate how it boots to the metro screen. With that being said make sure you have updated to windows 8.1 if your computer only has 8.0

Then i installed an app that loads windows to the desktop screen instead of the metro screen & it also adds the start button back to the desktop that we are all use to, dont know why microsoft got rid of the button.

This app lets us work from the desktop just like previous versions of windows.

Here is the link if you want to check it out http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php Also forgot to mention it is free

When working from the desktop in windows 8 you can install your fttp program & use it to upload your files
    Last edited by HaleysComics; 30th December 2013 at 03:16 AM.

Forum Lurker
    View titanicmom4's Feedback (+51)
    All-About titanicmom4
    View titanicmom4's Listings
    Forum Posts

we got our son a laptop for Christmas with windows 8 and all I can say about it after setting it up for him is that I hope my computer lasts forever because I hated using it for that little bit of time.

All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Very nice........congrats! May I be so politically incorrect to ask did you acquire here, online (other), or brick & mortar? Reason I ask is I have an older version computer, and will be looking to replace soon, for the best features at an affordable price. Do not know anything about version 8, so maybe I can learn a bit about it here.
    Hubby and I looked around all over, websites, stores, catalogs etc for at least 4 months with choices of laptops, notepads, desktops, all in ones, touch screen types etc and we ended up purchasing at our local Costco store - sale price + good specs + 2 years free concierge service

All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    I got a windows 8 laptop in february and am still learning its quirks. Some folk hate it but as i had windows 7 i dont find it as big a jump. I found the videos on youtube very helpful when learning to navigate around. Some of my older programmes just wont work but ive found others that do. Have fun exploring (ps i got mine from a catalogue as it was the best price for what i wanted)
    All our 'older' items ie printer and tablet, wireless keyboard and mouse work fine, but we are going to have to purchase a new scanner as ours is not compatible, we looked online for up to date drives etc, but have to accept that the scanner is a no no.

All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    Hi Jan,
    I have a laptop that i got 6 months ago with windows 8 & really hate how it boots to the metro screen. With that being said make sure you have updated to windows 8.1 if your computer only has 8.0

Then i installed an app that loads windows to the desktop screen instead of the metro screen & it also adds the start button back to the desktop that we are all use to, dont know why microsoft got rid of the button.

This app lets us work from the desktop just like previous versions of windows.

Here is the link if you want to check it out http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php Also forgot to mention it is free

When working from the desktop in windows 8 you can install your fttp program & use it to upload your files
    The start button yes! That is the biggest thing I miss so far, as that was my 'gateway' to everything.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's there. You just need to get the curser hovering over the right spot and it'll be there like magic (and disappear just as quickly) I discovered that using my Bil's PC and I can't say I like it

View lakeleilani's Feedback (+434)
    All-About lakeleilani
    View lakeleilani's Listings
    Forum Posts

I got my Windows 8 laptop from Argos, as it was a good deal for what I wanted - and it's PURPLE. I like Windows 8; it reminds me of the smartphone set-up, which seems a lot more modern than my old XP. The only annoying thing I find is that screens disappear if you move the mouse in a certain way, and you have to keep finding the screen you were looking at. Perhaps there is a way of dealing with this problem that I haven't found yet, and I haven't upgraded to Windows 8.1. On the whole, I like it, but there wasn't anything wrong with the old set-up.
    http://lake-leilani.ebid.net Fair Trade Clothes and accessories with a boho twist. For men, women and children.
    http://lake-leilani-occasions.ebid.net Handcrafted Cards and Fair Trade Gift Wrap.
    http://lake-leilani-gifts.ebid.net Fair Trade and Handcrafted gifts, incense and homeware.

Thread Information